Instrument cluster removal help, please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Instrument cluster removal help, please

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Steinjäger photo contest!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 09-26-2009, 12:18 PM   #1
sw19
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Instrument cluster removal help, please

I have to replace a bulb in the instrument cluster on my 99 Cherokee Limited. The repair manual says there's 4 screws but, the diagram shows only 2 on the bottom.
Anybody know the easiest way to replace a bulb? It's amazing how someone can design something so it takes an hour just to replace a dashboard light.
What happened to the days where you just stuck your hand up under the dash and popped out the bulb?

sw19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Pop the trim around the radio & climate control. Remove the kick panel trim under the dash on the driver side. Remove the trim bezel that goes around the cluster. A trick is to release the head light knob. Reach up under the dash and between the head light switch and steering wheel is a button on the head light switch. Depress the button, and pull on the head light knob. It should pop out.

At that point, the 4 screws are obvious.

This is the bracket that the cluster attaches too with the headlight switch still attached. The 4 metal screw holes are the screws for the cluster.

This is the back side of the headlight switch to show the release button for the headlight switch.

Hope this helps. Removing the cluster is less than 10 minutes, once you get familiar with how it comes apart.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
sw19
1999 XJ Cherokee 

dagr8tim, thanks for the photos. It's still a long way to go to replace a bulb. But if that's what's got to be done...
Unread 09-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
firehawk
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just a little FYI. Here's what I did after I removed the instrument panel for the same reason a couple of weeks ago. Take a Dremel tool, or a round file and open up the hole for the headlight switch. It dosen't take much, and you will not have to fight the knob not fitting thru the hole anymore.

Why in the hell would Jeep not design the stupid hole so it would fit over the knob.
[B][COLOR="Sienna"]A lot of parts that cost a lot of money[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR="DimGray"]xjTalk.com[/COLOR][/B]
firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
sw19
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So now that you've showed me how to remove everything...
Before I do, does anybody know what bulb is used? It's to the left of the tach (upper left). I bought a #74. I want to have the correct bulb before I start.
Unread 09-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
firehawk
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw19 View Post
So now that you've showed me how to remove everything...
Before I do, does anybody know what bulb is used? It's to the left of the tach (upper left). I bought a #74. I want to have the correct bulb before I start.
I have never seen that type of bulb anywhere. I'm not saying it isn't available somewhere though. It is a bulb with a plastic base that you turn and remove. It has a blue plastic/rubber cover over the bulb to give you the blue/green light. BTW, all the bulbs in the instrument cluster are the same. If I remember right there are 4 bulbs.

I went to a pic a part locally and removed the instrument cluster in an XJ there and took every bulb. They didn't even bother to charge me anything for them.
[B][COLOR="Sienna"]A lot of parts that cost a lot of money[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR="DimGray"]xjTalk.com[/COLOR][/B]
firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.