installing rough country shackles tomorrow - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > installing rough country shackles tomorrow

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
kboyts
1999 XJ Cherokee 

installing rough country shackles tomorrow

I am installing my rough country 2" shackles tomorrow on stock springs with a 3" RC add a leaf. Before I hear it I know its not the optimal set up and will probably ride like crap.

My question is if anyone has any tips or tricks for getting that rear shackle bolt out of the bushing if its rusted in place. I attempted to buy new bushings ahead of time from the local spring shop but he didnt have anything that would fit. Plus I assumed it would be a 2 piece rubber bushing like in the top of the shackle but he showed me a similar bushing and its one piece with a steel sleeve on both the inside of the bushing and encasing the outside as well.

I have a replacement bolt from the new shackle kit.

I have a feeling with them being original springs and all the bolt will be rusted to the interior sleeve and since I dont have a replacement bushing I dont want to have to torch the heck out of it and melt the bushing.

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
kboyts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
docgatling
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Stuck bolts are a PITA. When I removed mine I resorted to my little air hammer using a blunt tip chisel and just pounded the heck out of them. The end was pretty worked but I was able to run a thread die and fix threads. Worked like a charm but took a bit of time and my arm was numb for a week!
docgatling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.