Installing Lift Shackles! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Installing Lift Shackles!

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-16-2003, 02:01 AM   #1
MendoXJ

Installing Lift Shackles!

I just ordered a pair of 1.5in lift Rocky Road Outfitters Shackles, and am wondering how hard and what tools I will need to install them. I would assume I would just jack up the frame, and take out the bolts from the stock shackles. But I have heard you may need a impact gun to get the bolts out and such. Anyone with some detailed instructions, it would help me out alot. Thanks

36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL SX's
Poison Spyder Comp Stinger
MendoXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2003, 07:28 AM   #2
GottaBeJeep

I just added lift shackles to my wife's rig this past weekend, so it is pretty fresh in my head. You need jack stands on the frame in front of the front leaf spring mount. Be sure to get it as high as you can so you can use the jack to raise and lower the axle to make install easier. Be sure to soak the bolts, especially the one mounted to the frame for several days before removal. Use PB Blaster, not WD40, because that stuff actually hold moisture and promotes rust. You need a 21mm socket and wrench. You will more than likely also need a breaker bar to get them bolts started. It is too difficult to fit an impact gun in there when removing the stock shackles, and is not really necessary, except maybe to speed up the process when bolting the leaf packs back up to the shackle. I suggest getting a bottle of anti-seize to apply to the bolts once you remove them, to make removal of these bolts easier later down the road. You need a big crow bar or something similar to help manuever the leaf packs around, because they will probably not want to line up when you get ready to bolt to the shackles. Also, tighten the bolts when down, but don't overtighten. The shackles need to be able to move back and forth with compression and depression of the leaf packs to allow more flex.
Hope this helps. It is fairly simple and can be done by yourself, although help is nice. Took me about 30 minutes to do mine, but I have done it before, so...
Unread 07-16-2003, 08:08 AM   #3
ecrab3

Add to the list a friend and a pry bar .... the leaf springs are too stubborn.

Its a easy mod, just takes elbow grease and pre soaking as mentioned before.
ecrab3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2003, 04:46 AM   #4
MendoXJ

Thanks alot, I let you know how the install goes when I get the shackles in.
36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL SX's
Poison Spyder Comp Stinger
MendoXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.