Installing JK shocks on my XJ (write-up) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Installing JK shocks on my XJ (write-up)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
freemans97XJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Installing JK shocks on my XJ (write-up)

I am not sure if this will interest anyone, but I just installed 2007 Wrangler Rubicon (JK) shocks on my 97 Cherokee with a 3" Skyjacker lift. I did some research (including questions answered by HeepforJeep) and found that the JK Rubicon shocks are the same length as the shocks supplied with most 3" to 4" lifts. I found mine as new take-offs on Ebay for $30.00 + $20.00 shipping.

Here are my new $50.00 shocks:

I started off by removing my obviously worn out Skyjackers. You will need the Bar Pins, so don't forget to press them out:

You will need to press out the metal collar on the lower shock mount of the Rubicon ones. I found the best way was to use a 4" extension and a spark plug socket. I placed these in my vise and cranked away (go both ways at first to avoid damaging the bushing):

Continued on the next post...........

Last edited by freemans97XJ; 09-07-2008 at 11:16 AM..
freemans97XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
freemans97XJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Once I had the metal collars out, I then pressed in the bar pins. I rounded off the sharp edge of the bar pins and then oiled it down. It took very little pressure to get through the bushing and I noticed no damage:

Once the bar pins were installed, I mounted up the new shocks:

For the rear, I started off by chiseling out the upper rear nuts (there are plenty of write-ups on this, so I will skip through that part). Once I had the tops mounted, I realized that the lower shock mount on the new Rubicon shocks also have a metal collar. You guessed it, they are smaller than the shock mounts on my 97...LOL. I returned to the vise and removed these collars the same way that I did the front. I re-installed the upper mounts and then lubed the lower mount down. The lower mount goes on with a little shove..

I drove around for a bit and thought that they were a little stiffer than my worn out skyjackers, but they were not too stiff.

Hope this helps,

JOhn
Unread 08-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
TYphoonXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Kind of ressurrecting an old thread, but I would like to say that this helped me SO MUCH! Kudo's to you!
Unread 08-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
genno
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have got original jk shocks and coils but from a sahara, i wonder if i could use these for anything on my 99xj
genno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2009, 10:14 PM   #5
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by genno View Post
I have got original jk shocks and coils but from a sahara, i wonder if i could use these for anything on my 99xj
If you lift your jeep from 2 to 4" the shocks will work, but I don't think the coils will help you any.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
genno
2009 JK Wrangler 

cool, thanks man!
genno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
xjdude42
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I used the black shocks off a JK. Works really well with my RE 3.5" lift. Pressing the metal collars out was a pain, I broke a Craftsman vice in the process. Harbor Freight FTW. The shocks I got also did not come with the front upper shock bushings, so I reused my old ones. Had to drill out the metal bushing holder things so they would fit on the non threaded portion of the upper shock area. Also, If they don't come with the nuts for the front upper mounts you have to get new ones, the nuts I was going to reuse from my old shocks weren't the right size.
xjdude42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
Fernman
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Excellent write up. I just picked up some JK rubi shocks for my 97 xj and frankenlift. This will be of great help!

Previous: 00 TJ, 97 XJ, 95 YJ
Fernman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
john NC
1979 CJ5 

so any jk shocks will work on an xj i gather? i know on the TJs all the models have the same exact shocks

i'd really rather not pay $70 for some crappy hydro shocks
john NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
GTEIS300
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Whats the difference between the black JK shocks and the red? I got some brand new black ones waiting to go on as soon as I gather the rest of the parts
White Jeep Club Member #75
GTEIS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #11
danw77
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The red ones are off of a Rubicon while the black ones are off of the other models, like the 'X' model. From what I have read, the black ones are a twin-tube low pressure design while the red ones are a mono-tube high pressure design.

Twin-tube Low Pressure Gas

A shock absorber or strut can be a low pressure gas, twin tube design. This basic design has not changed too much since the 60's, but there have been some refinements over the years. This design has some characteristics, such as a soft valving, and usually costs less to manufacture than a Monotube or Adjustable type shock absorber. They are usually pressurized with some Nitrogen gas, usually 100 psi or less. In this design the hydraulic oil and gas are mixed together in the same chamber, which, while dampening, causes some aeration/foaming.

Mono-tube High Pressure Gas

A shock absorber or strut can be a high pressure, mono tube design. These are a more modern type design, and have characteristics of their own. The monotube design allows them to operate cooler. Monotubes are under high pressure, from around 200 psi, to as high as 360 psi. The hydraulic oil and Nitrogen gas are in separate chambers, separated by a floating piston. This allows the shock/strut to function without any aeration or foaming. Monotube shocks usually have a stiff valving, and traditionally cost more to manufacture. They are also able to withstand more punishment, and offer higher dampening ability. Great care and engineering is taken into consideration when manufacturing a monotube, and many have a very specific valving. This is years of racing technology adapted for street and off-road use.
Unread 06-22-2010, 07:47 PM   #12
driven

I used this write up myself, works great! make sure to use grease.
driven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #13
JerseyRepresent
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
make sure to use grease.
x2
Just put the JK shocks on my xj and i feel like they ride awesome. Some people said they were going to be a little stiff because the JK is alot heavier that the XJ. I feel like its perfect. Much beter than the monroe sensatracs that i had on before.
Unread 06-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #14
john NC
1979 CJ5 

great thread, scored a set of rubicon shocks off a 2010 for $40 + shipping! that's half the price i paid for the crappy RE twin-tubes when i put a BB on my TJ

thread crawled
john NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #15
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddey View Post
is there any possible way to put the front coils from a JK onto an XJ??? (i hears that i might have to do some welding, thats ok, i want to know)
Im not sure how much (if any) lift that would add. It would require cutting off the coil bucket, and possibly swaybar bracket, and welding one from a JK on.

Youre better off finding some used 3 inch coils in the classifieds.

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.