Installing cruise control in my Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Installing cruise control in my Jeep

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andPerformance tuning programmers @ oconee off road 706 534 9

Unread 12-30-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
grovesb2
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Installing cruise control in my Jeep

Hello, I'm not a "real" newbie. I was on this board for 4 yrs underneath another name and now I'm back. I just bought a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport with 5 spd 4x4 and it has everything but cruise control. I bought this jeep to replace my 97 Jeep Cherokee sport 5 spd 2wd so I'm very familiar with this vehicle

The question i have after reading this thread is that there are no real instructions lol. I was wondering if I can pull the switches by themselves off my 97 or I have to pull the whole steering wheel and switch them. I'd rather not do that If I didn't have to. There are a couple screws on the back of the wheel that looks like they hold the switches in place. Am I correct in thinking this? I read that the lines and everything should be run already but not sure how to locate the correct plugs. Can someone send me instructions or post pictures for this install. Thank you for any help you can give me.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/i...l-98-a-358770/

Last edited by grovesb2; 12-30-2009 at 03:57 PM..
grovesb2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
grovesb2
1998 XJ Cherokee 

bump. anyone got an advice?
Unread 12-31-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Disconnect both battery terminals and wait 15 minutes for the airbag system to become safe before you do any work on the steering column or airbag parts.

The little fill in plates where the switches go should come right off and your answer will be underneath. The steering wheel should be set up with a place for the switches.

Post a picture of your steering wheel.

There have been some threads that claim the 1997 cruise control switches are different than the 99-01. I don't know what the 98 switches are like, 97 vs. 99.

If you already have the correct airbag in the steering wheel, than you just disconnect the parts needed ( Installing factory Cruise control questions - NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association ) and install them on your Cherokee. Take notes or cell phone pics at the junkyard when you are getting your parts.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
grovesb2
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My New steering wheel-1998 No cruise control

My old cherokee-1997 with cruise control

No junkyard needed since I'm taking what I want off the 97 then junking it. Anyone need parts? Willing to part it out before i sell it.

It looks like they changed the steering wheel but not sure if I can remove the front face of the old one just for the switches. Not sure how the steering wheel is put together. Is the switches separate from the steering wheel or is the front just one whole piece?
Unread 01-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #5
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Read through this. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/w...-97-xj-906542/

The entire steering wheel should swap right over. You will need the clock spring from the 97 XJ though.

My writeup should help in your swap. Post up any other questions you may have!
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
grovesb2
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You sir are the man.

I tried searching but def didn't see your thread. This is def going to help tremendously. What year was ur XJ, the 01 in ur sig bc it looks like my 97 that you installed? My button was sometimes hard to push on my old Jeep to get the GREEN light for cruise control on. I'm hoping this won't be an issue when i put it on my 98. Maybe a loose connection or button sticking?
Unread 01-05-2010, 10:46 PM   #7
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Mine is an 01. I actually have a spare set of switches for you year of cherokee if you do end up needing a new set of switches.
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
grovesb2
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'll keep that in mind when I take the old ones off. Did you end up using the whole new steering wheel or just the front face? It wasn't discussed in ur thread but looks like you reused you old steering wheel and pretty much used the old clockspring and switches (even though u replaced them for the newer switches).
Unread 01-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
grovesb2
1998 XJ Cherokee 

nvmd I got the lock cylinder ears off. Now trying to remove the clockspring

Last edited by grovesb2; 01-18-2010 at 12:55 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.