inner fender: cut & fold pinch seam? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > inner fender: cut & fold pinch seam?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 03-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
the303hooligan
1998 TJ Wrangler 

inner fender: cut & fold pinch seam?

Ok, so i trimmed front and rear fenders last week..In the front, there is the pinch seam that runs down the center right above the tire..like a big ole razor blade mohawk!
My question is: Can i make slits between spot welds, fold it over, prime it, some seam sealer, paint it and call it a day?...or do i just hammer the he11 out of it to get it to fold over?..
In the rear, i did the cut and fold method, just want to make sure the front can work the same way without any structural problems...

thanx

1998 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport 4.0 I6, D30 and D44,4.56 G2 Gears,belly,gas & steering skids, 35x12.5 Wrangler MTR Kevlars,4" ProComp Coils,1.25" JKS BL,1"Currie MML,Bilstein 5100's, Chromoly LCA's front and rear, JKS Disco's,K&N intake,PSC BFH front stinger bumper w/winch & d-rings,PSC Rear stinger/carrier w/d-ring,PSC Rocker Knockers,Dynomax Ultraflo welded ss, APN header,PIAA 520 ATP, Bestop top,alpine CDA-105 deck,Tuffy underseat Security box, JL Audio speakers in sound bar and dash, Corbeau front seats, matching Neoprene cover on bench,trimmed flares...and PLENTY more to come..
**Oil Field Trash Makin' Oil Field Ca$h**
the303hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I've pics of people doing that on here, I plan on doing the same thing. And yeah that pinch seam just looks mean, its sharp.
nrpalmer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 01:01 AM   #3
xjpilot
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I just beat mine into submission and then put some black silicone calk up in it to keep the water out. I think I made maybe 2 or 3 slits in to to help the cause.

Purple Jeep Club Member # 1
xjpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 01:21 AM   #4
dreadhead
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I just bashed mine with a hammer too, then just sprayed some paint over it and I've had no problems with it.
Unread 03-31-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I cut mine between the pinch seams just like the rear fender before I hammered it flat. I figured it would get flatter and out of the way more if I cut it. Cuts are probably around 1.5-2" apart. I then painted the entire front fenderwells with 3M undercoating.

This is a must if you are trimming the fenders and taking out the fender liner. With my setup, I've flexed enough to actually rub all the undercoating off of a 6-8" section of the folded down pinch seam. That would have easily been a flat tire on the trail.
Unread 03-31-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I did mine just like dcorn did.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
the303hooligan
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
I cut mine between the pinch seams just like the rear fender before I hammered it flat. I figured it would get flatter and out of the way more if I cut it. Cuts are probably around 1.5-2" apart. I then painted the entire front fenderwells with 3M undercoating.

This is a must if you are trimming the fenders and taking out the fender liner. With my setup, I've flexed enough to actually rub all the undercoating off of a 6-8" section of the folded down pinch seam. That would have easily been a flat tire on the trail.
Cool...thanx, im aware of the major tire eating issue the seam will cause, just wasnt sure of the better way to deal with it...I ended up using a BFH while i had my jeep on the lift and just hammered it over..was ALOT easier with the correct hammer for the job ..just got done with coat of primer..gonna undercoat later tonite....Thanx again for ur guys feedback
1998 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport 4.0 I6, D30 and D44,4.56 G2 Gears,belly,gas & steering skids, 35x12.5 Wrangler MTR Kevlars,4" ProComp Coils,1.25" JKS BL,1"Currie MML,Bilstein 5100's, Chromoly LCA's front and rear, JKS Disco's,K&N intake,PSC BFH front stinger bumper w/winch & d-rings,PSC Rear stinger/carrier w/d-ring,PSC Rocker Knockers,Dynomax Ultraflo welded ss, APN header,PIAA 520 ATP, Bestop top,alpine CDA-105 deck,Tuffy underseat Security box, JL Audio speakers in sound bar and dash, Corbeau front seats, matching Neoprene cover on bench,trimmed flares...and PLENTY more to come..
**Oil Field Trash Makin' Oil Field Ca$h**
the303hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2009, 07:30 AM   #8
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the303hooligan View Post
was ALOT easier with the correct hammer for the job
It sure is. I used a small 2-3 lb sledge for that pinch seam and for the rear fender. It's a good feeling to just beat the hell out of a vehicle with a hammer when I'm used to being so careful with my Mustangs.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.