Infrared keyless entry wiring 1990-1992, 1993-1996 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-02-2014, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
ryder267
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Infrared keyless entry wiring 1990-1992, 1993-1996

I've noticed some confusion out there about the infrared keyless entry systems for XJ Cherokees, particularly between the years of 1990 and 1996. There are some people who, like myself, wish to upgrade to a better, or at least simpler system without having to hack their wiring to pieces; we want something more "plug and play"--and there is also a small minority among us who wish to maintain the "Jeep" aesthetic of our rigs without installing the gaudy, faux carbon fiber, blue flashing LED, chrome plated plastic aftermarket crap from China.

For those of us who own a 1990-1992 Cherokee, we may or may not have our original keyless remote. For those of us who do, we know how annoying and unreliable it can be. The following write-up is a solution to this problem, an upgrade, for people who don't want to screw too much with system they have. This is also a decent reference for people who need an explained diagram of their keyless entry receiver wires (don't bother with your Chilton or Haynes for such detailed explanations as this; they will only let you down).

The 1987-1992 Cherokees utilized a system pioneered by Renault in the early '80s. It was an infrared system that switched back and forth between lock and unlock with a single button. The remotes were small, left-hand unfriendly, and eventually wore out, and as such, are rare to still see in operation.

My 1992 Limited was sold to me with it's original remote, to my surprise. I have since soldered it 10 times as the contacts on a chip inside keep stressing and breaking. It's a crappy design, indeed. Now that I've decided to retire my stress-inducing remote, I want to replace it with something comparable.

What's nice about the Chrysler infrared remotes and receivers utilized in the 1993-1996 XJs and ZJs is that (1) they are on-board programmable (2) the receivers fit perfectly into existing 1990-1992 overhead consoles and ceiling mounted receiver globes and (3) you get to choose between locking and unlocking functions.

The following is an explanation (FINALLY!) of the wires attached to the receiver, their color codes, and functions. This is based on trial and error since there seems to be no good resources out there. It also represents the majority of what I've seen in Jeeps, though there may be outliers that deviate slightly.

1987-1989 Cherokees:
Black - ground
Green - lock
Tan - unlock
Pink - 12v constant

1990-1992:
Black - ground
Orange/purple - lock
Pink/purple - unlock
Pink - 12v constant
Blue/yellow - interior lights
Orange/pink - not used, dead-ends in passenger's kick-panel.

1993-1996
Black - ground
Orange/purple - lock
Pink/purple - unlock
Pink - 12v constant
Blue/yellow - interior lights
Yellow - switched ground
White/black - ignition fuse (I'm not sure which)

Quick and dirty upgrade for 1990-1992 Cherokees (it works on these cherokee for sure, this may also work on the 1987-1989s, but I've never tried it):

You need:
-One remote (eBay).
-One receiver (pick-n-pull, $10) don't forget the black, round lens that attaches to it (see pic below) the two lenses between the two styles of receivers look the same, but ARE NOT interchangeable. The receiver on the right is the one that's replacing the one on the left. It's bigger, but fear not, it fits. Also remember to chop a few inches of wiring off the pigtail from the donor Jeep; the wire connectors between 90-92 and 93-96 are not compatible so you will need to remember to grab it.
-Phillips screwdriver.
-Wire-cutters.
-Electrical tape.
-And if you're really good, a soldering iron.

*If you have to remove an overhead console, it is retained by two screws, I recall: one at the very front, above the rear-view mirror (there's a hole in the headliner material, can't miss it). The second screw is, I believe, in the middle of the back of the sunglasses holder area. Once these two screws are removed, the console will lower. I recommend doing the front one last. There's a plastic lip in the rear of the console that slides over the headliner; watch for it so an not to tear the headliner.

(1) Remove and replace the old receiver.
(2) Splice the five wires (lock, unlock, power, ground, interior lights). These are all the same colors for 1990-1996 (to the best of my knowledge).
(3) You should be left with two extraneous wires: one white/black and one yellow. Ground the yellow and temporary connect the white/black to 12v (I just tapped into the pink, 12v constant, right there).
(4) Follow normal programming procedure: If memory serves, you close all the doors, open the driver's door and leave it open, lock all the doors from the driver's switch, insert the key into the ignition and turn it to on (not start), and hold the "lock" button on the new remote, aimed at the receiver for 5 seconds. The locks should cycle signifying successful programming.
(5) Disconnect and tape off the white/black and yellow wires. These are only necessary for the programming procedure.
(6) The system should operate!

This isn't for everyone, but if you're into this kind of thing, I hope it helps.

Go nuts with your donuts.

Cheers,

-John

Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0445.jpg   IMAG0448.jpg   IMAG0449.jpg  

1992 Cherokee Limited in Colorado Red, "Aunt flo."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-02-2014, 12:37 AM
miceanic
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Are you replacing an infrared remote system with another infrared remote system? If so how is the range comparison of the two? My current remote has to be touching the glass and I have to click 5 times for it to register. If this upgrade is significant enough I might try it. Thanks for the wiring explanation.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-02-2014, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
ryder267
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yes. It is one faulty system in place of a slightly worse faulty system. Lol.

I have experienced no significant change in the range. When it actually worked, my old remote worked well--maybe about 5 feet from the doors and 10 feet from the tail gate window. This is certainly not great by today's standards, but its reasonable for the technology. My new remote works at about the same range, but doesn't constantly require repair.

Is your remote in question for the 1990? Is it an original remote?

post #4 of 13 Old 05-02-2014, 12:28 PM
miceanic
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Nope, I found it on the keychain of an XJ in a junk yard, was surprised it wasn’t thrown out. I took the remote as well as the receiver and put them in my XJ. Like I said they only work if you are right at the window which is a bummer. New battery in the remote and everything, some days it doesn’t work at all. Might need soldering but I saw nothing broken when I inspected the inside of the remote.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-02-2014, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
ryder267
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Is it the two button remote or the one button remote?
post #6 of 13 Old 05-03-2014, 10:47 AM
miceanic
1990 XJ Cherokee 

The single button remote on the left in your pic. I had a pic of it saved in my phone for a year so I knew what remote I was looking for. Imagine my disappointment when it didn’t live up to my expectations. lol
post #7 of 13 Old 05-03-2014, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
ryder267
1992 XJ Cherokee 

You were lucky to find one that way! and smart to grab it. I've been a Jeep aficionado for over 15 years and I never even saw one of those remotes in the flesh until 2010.
So, it sounds like you know the frustration of owning one then. If I was you and you're feeling adventurous, I would crack the remote open and take a soldering iron to it.
What's tricky about these old remotes is that the red light may illuminate when the the button is being depressed but a signal is not being sent or perhaps there's corrosion on the contact where the (-) side of the battery touches the chip inside, creating a barrier to the power.

In my 1992 Laredo, a few years back, I noticed that the remote would only work if I pushed the button really hard. You may or may not be experiencing this, yourself. What I did to remedy this was take a soldering iron and oh so carefully re-solder the tiny points on the square black chip inside. These contacts break eventually because of the remote's design.
This actually worked for me, but after I did it a second time, I managed to permanently fry the remote. This was devastating lol. The soldering iron approach requires a lot of patience and skill.
In my current 1992 Limited, the remote had a similar problem, so I soldered the points again. I also took a bit of 2000 grit sandpaper and brushed off the (-) contact on the chip for the batteries. This helped.

In the past three months, I have re-soldered this ******* remote like 10 times. My fixes lasted between a day and a few weeks at a time. F that. You may find that it's not worth the annoyance in dealing with it anymore like I did--after all, the remote is 22 years old, not a bad run.

If you're interested in maintaining your rig's Jeepishness, consider the route I took. It's so cheap and easy as compared to splicing in some aftermarket keyless entry system.

post #8 of 13 Old 05-03-2014, 12:46 PM
miceanic
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I'll probably go this route, I'm used to using the key by now and am a patient man so I can wait another year for another remote if need be. I have thought about going the UHF route as well, I've seen write ups on using the ZJ? UHF receiver and splicing it in. I have the overhead console so plenty of room to fit whatever I want up there.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-03-2014, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
ryder267
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Something I forgot to mention, too, is that in the second remote--the one in my Limited--I never actually *saw* broken connections on the chip, but they were there. During soldering, I would just swipe over every contact, assuming they were all bad since I couldn't pinpoint just the right one. On my the remote for my Limited--which may have been the same for my Laredo, but I don't remember--I only needed to solder on the left side of the chip, as well. The connections on the right side of it were not used.

post #10 of 13 Old 05-03-2014, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
ryder267
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Are you talking about radio frequency? Haha I actually did this on my Laredo back in 2010. Here's my write up:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/1...m-omg-1143482/

It actually worked pretty well. At the time, I was really interested in keeping the "Jeep" look of the remote. It worked.
I think I saw the write-up to which you're referring, with the ZJ. They had better luck than I did. From what I know, all the RF receivers after 1996 for the ZJ and XJ are only programmable at the dealer with a scantool. This is ****. You'd need the receiver and the remote already programmed to it in order to function, most likely. Back in 2010, I pulled a receiver from a 1997 XJ Cherokee but was unable to ever make it work. I found a way around this with the receivers in the early 1990s Thunderbird and Camaro, believe it or not. Jeep and GM both utilized a TRW brand system in the keyless in their cars. This is why GM RF remotes and Jeep RF remotes from the early nineties look the same: they are. In the GM, it was on-board programmable just up until OBDII in 1996, after that, Jeep and GM both required that dealer ****. At least in GMs, you could jump pins on the OBDII connector to get into programming mode. The receivers in Jeeps did not work this way--you had no choice but to deal with the dealer or someone with a scantool.

Check out my write-up, maybe it's yet a better option for you.
Attached Images

post #11 of 13 Old 11-22-2015, 12:22 PM
Oktyabr
1977 CJ5 

DELETE keyless entry?

Anyone know how to DELETE the keyless entry? I have a 96 XJ Sport and I left the windows open during a hard rain storm (OOOPS!) My headliner got soaked and the infrared eye circuit board shorted and nearly caught fire. I couldn't unplug it (melted) so in a panic I just clipped all the wires to it. Anything more I need to do?

Thanks in advance!

Current: 90' XJ Laredo, 96' XJ Sport, 98' ZJ 5.9L Limited
post #12 of 13 Old 11-22-2015, 03:46 PM
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Great write up and pix!!
post #13 of 13 Old 11-22-2015, 08:21 PM
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktyabr View Post
Anyone know how to DELETE the keyless entry? I have a 96 XJ Sport and I left the windows open during a hard rain storm (OOOPS!) My headliner got soaked and the infrared eye circuit board shorted and nearly caught fire. I couldn't unplug it (melted) so in a panic I just clipped all the wires to it. Anything more I need to do?

Thanks in advance!
I'd cap the wires or just pull the rest of the harness but other than that nothing else needs to be done

Design previews and mad kid pics on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.