independent suspension on an XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > independent suspension on an XJ

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-21-2014, 12:13 AM   #1
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

independent suspension on an XJ

I know it seems a little absurd, usually we go for D60s. But I was thinking if I took the indy suspension off of another truck what would be the general consensus? It seems like a pretty great idea but Ive lost myself on a few things:
1) How do indys do with diffs?
2) Its not easy to convert without a little fabbing right
3)Obviously I want to upgrade, whats available?
4) Converting to struts? Not a ton of flex there, awh well
5) Can I leave it to my original set up E.G. shocks and springs?
6) CV joints tick me off, not sure why.
7) They seem easy to break offroad and i dont trust em too much but only for light trail riding which is what I want.
8) what kind of armor is there for indy suspension?
As far as #7 whats a good truck to pull em off of? I dont want to spend a ton of money on a set trophy trucks use.

Lets see what you guys think.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #343
Built not bought.
JeepJohn92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 02:43 AM   #2
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Its all pretty much going to be custom, the whole sub frame on out. you can armor it as you see fit as well.

If you look around the jeepspeed section of NAXJA there are a few people running a TTB setup. Might be a easier option if go-fast is what you want. But then again look at the KOH cars, they're almost all running strait axles and do just fine in the high speed sections.

If you were to be willing to fab up a IFS setup, ditch the struts go strait to coil overs, you'll get all the travel you want. RVC uses a CV joint in their axle shafts, cant say ive heard of a broken one yet, OEM CVs get trashed quick in a lifted off road vehicle, get something that is designed to do what you want to do. For the diffs you could use the d30 center section out of a liberty, IIRC there are IRS D44 centers out of Corvettes as well, also im sure someone out there makes a ford 9in IFS/IRS housing.

If you want something for light trail use what you have is fine, add a locker to one end and call it done. If you want an IFS rig get a Tacoma, it'd be cheaper than trying to turn your XJ into one.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 06:46 AM   #3
tonka_yellow

I have seen a few broken rcv's. Most say they over steer them and jump on the throttle.

Don't waste your time on the ifs. Swap in a 44 or 60 and coilovers like stated above.
tonka_yellow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

More 4x4 trucks are converted from IFS, to straight axles, than the other way around.

For the cost of parts, and the time/money involved in some major custom fabrication, what benefits are expecting from IFS ?

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 11:35 AM   #5
Moto4x4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJohn92 View Post
6) CV joints tick me off, not sure why.
CV joints are just another moving part that is vulnerable to breaking and being a massive PITA. Thats why hahaha, and if that boot rips or anything there will be grease on everything.

I personally would stay with a solid axle. All that work and money doesn't nearly out weigh the benefits in my opinion.
Unread 01-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, if I wanted independent suspension, I can't think of why I wouldn't just switch over to a Toyota or Chevy or Suzuki or whatever. Much less money and work. I can respect someone wanting to do it just for the challenge/achievement though--crazy amount of work would be necessary.

Sent from my phone
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #7
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

You want something different, go find a set of portals axles.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/tr...-portal-axles/
Rocks, what rocks lol.
Unread 01-21-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caish View Post
You want something different, go find a set of portals axles.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/tr...-portal-axles/
Rocks, what rocks lol.
I think id rather start warming up the Lincoln before spending $23 grand on new axels....
Built not bought.
Unread 01-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #9
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

As far as benefits? Im not trying to revolutionize anything, Id just like to see it as a sick *** rally truck and a trail king. I know its completely backwards but I just want to see if there's a way to make it sick as f&#$
Built not bought.
Unread 01-21-2014, 07:28 PM   #10
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
As far as benefits? Im not trying to revolutionize anything, Id just like to see it as a sick *** rally truck and a trail king. I know its completely backwards but I just want to see if there's a way to make it sick as f&#$
There is a way, it's called "money", specifically tons of money.

Also. Look at the jeepspeed racers and pre runners. It can be done easier with solid axles and still function well as a slow trail rig. IFS is great if you can build the truck around it like in a trophy truck. Retrofitting it to an XJ is going to be painful.
Unread 01-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #11
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Ill just make what I need if I do decide to do it. Ill draw some stuff up first and see what all can be done and see if I cant do something about those pesky cv joints. I just want to see what everyone thought and honestly I expected a little more positive response.
Built not bought.
Unread 01-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #12
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Ill just make what I need if I do decide to do it. Ill draw some stuff up first and see what all can be done and see if I cant do something about those pesky cv joints. I just want to see what everyone thought and honestly I expected a little more positive response.
The idea gets tossed around every once in a while. It's almost unanimously shot down. It's totally possible to make it work and work well, but it's all uncharted territory on the XJ.
Unread 01-21-2014, 08:11 PM   #13
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I expected a little more positive response.
Really? I mean, I'm not judging the idea, but you had to know the response was going to be luke warm at best. Putting IFS on an XJ is probably about as doable as turning one into a convertible (Jeep did convertible XJ's twice actually--prototypes in 86 and again in 90 with the Targa and Freedom respectively). Most people in our world would make an effort to put straight axles in place of IFS which isn't easy, and what you're suggesting is the opposite of that and much harder.

Check this out; it's very interesting: http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/lil-blue.html

P.S. http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/inde...pension-17444/

P.P.S.
I apologize because we all know what you meant of course, but I giggled at
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway0018746 View Post
rear ifs
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 08:27 PM   #14
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If your talking about rear ifs check out thunderbird s from the 80' I believe. Its an 8.8 many people put them under 73-79 f100 's
Unread 01-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #15
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
The idea gets tossed around every once in a while. It's almost unanimously shot down. It's totally possible to make it work and work well, but it's all uncharted territory on the XJ.
Well what if I chart it? This might take me a while....
Built not bought.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.