I'm Stumped or stupid - need help with seat swap!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > I'm Stumped or stupid - need help with seat swap!!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
74makoLKN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'm Stumped or stupid - need help with seat swap!!

I got WJ seats from the JY today. I'm attempting to do the "easy" install into my 2001 xj i've read about, but it ain't that easy to me. so i'm either stumped or stupid.

I got the XJ driver seat out and seat bracket off. Started taking the Wj bracket off and it seems that when the bracket comes off so does the motor for seat adjust. if this is so, how do you wire the seat recline?

i don't need it to be electric, but all the write ups here and other forums indicate how easy it is but never explain how to make it happen. could someone who has done this help me out. thanks.

in hnd site should have started iwth the passenger side...so stupid on that one for sure.

thanks.

74makoLKN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

You'll have to use the XJ seat frame and wire in an additional toggle for the seat back it seems.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 06:10 AM   #3
74makoLKN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

okay. i got it figured out. I just needed to step away and come back to it. when switching out the seat sliders 2 of the motors come off with the wj seat slider/frame, but the backrest motor is retained. it is bolted t the seat itself not the slider frame. I've now got both passenger and driver side seats in with the xj manual slider for front to back adjustment.

one more question though. now i need power so the backrest can be adjusted. for the wiring i found (from the FAQ sticky) this thread on NAXJA http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1042180 but i can't tell which which part of the wiring harness is being used or how to wire the driver side and passenger side together? has anyone found a thread that would help someone with no electrical experience accomplish this? thread with pics would be awesome.
Unread 06-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
74makoLKN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

found this website to help with wiring http://www.wjjeeps.com/seats/seats.htm#POWER but i'm still confused. the wiring diagram doesn't seem to match what i have on the wj harness.

this is the mess of wiring i have under my wj seats installed in the xj.can some one tell me which of these i am supposed to find my red (power) and black (ground)?

Unread 06-29-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
74makoLKN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

try again
2012-06-29_08-34-51_54.jpg  
Unread 06-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The seat tilt motor and/or switch should have 2 or 3 wires, 12 volts positive and one ground. The wires may or not be red or black. Use a 15 amp fuse and connect the positive wire to 12 volts, and the other to ground.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
74makoLKN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

okay...am i understanding correctly that i don't need the entire wiring harness as shown in the picture above, but only the power and ground coming from the seat tilt motor? where is the best place to pull my 12v from? directly from the fuse box? can my power run from fuse box -> to passenger -> directly to driver seat; or does each seat need its own power source/wire from the fuse box?
Unread 06-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
74makoLKN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

there are two sets of wires coming from the seat tilt motor. anyone know which is power?
Unread 06-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
Svenlylethor
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Hey man,

I put ZJ seats on my XJ last year. For the wiring, I had a wire go all the way from the battery and into the driver's side where the wires all go through. (I just loosened up the cluster, stuck the wire through, and tightened it back up) You're going to want to put a 15 amp wire on the end of it and hook it up to the red wire from the WJ harness. From there you'll ground the black - I just grounded it somewhere in the middle under the center console.

Are your seats heated? I had to figure that one out on mine and it was pretty dang hard... but then I got it to work with a lot of forum crawling and faith.

As for your rear seats make sure you you pull the wires in the frame out of the way when drilling the bottom seats down. I accidentally drilled through them and screwed the whole thing up. Have you put them in yet?
Unread 06-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #10
74makoLKN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

got it. thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.