I'm stumped. It ran fine before I changed my oil - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > I'm stumped. It ran fine before I changed my oil

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 09-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
LayWithTheZJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm stumped. It ran fine before I changed my oil

Ok friends, my 2000 XJ was running just fine and I decided to change my oil since it was about that time and might as well change my valve cover gasket while I'm in there, especially because I noticed some gunk built up inside. (Previous owner must not have kept up on maintenece to well) so I get the right oil and a fel pro valve cover gasket since I heard good things. All goes just well until I am taking the PVC breather elbow off the far side of the valve cover. ( the return) and it breaks. No big deal I order another for 5 dollars and finish up my oil change and get the cover back on with it's new seal. I had to wait a few days for the PVC peice so I don't start it until today when I got the part. Slapped it on and nothing.. Haha I get a couple clicks then nada. I removed the negative battery cable for a few minutes and it's starts up! But wanted to die till I gave it some gas then It was fine. I drove around the block then when I tried to start it again the same thing happened. It's not my battery because I get power to things inside when in on position and I don't think it's my starter because I've had to wack my old zj's starter and it doesn't work on my XJ plus it never did before so I don't think it's that. Could the oil the dripped by the solinoid when I remover my oil filter have messed the ground up? I'm stumped boys! Thank god I know this forum. Any input or previous experiences appreciated. Thanks in advance

LayWithTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2014, 07:21 PM   #2
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

First be sure the battery is connected tightly with clean connections and the cable not just pushed on. To run correctly it needs a fully charged battery. It will relearn the correct idle speed after a few minutes.

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2014, 11:52 PM   #3
TylerU
1996 XJ Cherokee 

X2 on the battery. Did you disconnect it when changing oil? Have you had a dead battery after letting it sit for too long? Fully charge it then let it idle till normal. Report back.
TylerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #4
LayWithTheZJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Update - my battery connections are tight and clean, battery is reading 12.5 volts. Starter solenoid connections look nice and clean so I started looking at the wires themselves connecting the two. There were two wires, the large one was fine. The second, smaller one, I assume is the ground had a spot where it had been cut and spliced. The connection was saturated with oil along with the plastic plus itself that plugs into the the solenoid on the starter. I'm fixing the bumy splice and cleaning it. I was looking into getting a new plug since it's oily but can't find one anywhere. Anyone have a part number or a method to clean these little guys? Not sure if anyone's had this problem or had to replace one. Could I used any other single wire plugs?
Unread 09-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #5
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayWithTheZJ View Post
It's not my battery because I get power to things inside when in on position
This does NOT rule out your battery. The dash gauges, radio, etc. take very little power to work. Starting your engine demands a big power draw from your battery.

And I know your battery measures 12.5 volts. But you should know that voltage testing of a battery is really not conclusive.

You need to have your battery "load tested". Any parts store will do this for you for free. Load testing is the ONLY accurate way of determining the condition of a battery.

Yes there certainly are other possibilities, but you really haven't ruled the battery in or out quite yet. I'd be sure to do that so you aren't chasing your tail.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #6
LayWithTheZJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ah I see, thanks. I'll get it load tested tomorrow and post results
Unread 09-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The trouble with idling after a dead battery is normal. XJs seem to have a hard time relearning. The computers are really picky about voltage so if you've got a bad cell or other issue, it can give you a hard time.
Unread 09-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #8
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Could be a heavy draw like an alternator . I had a winch that internally shorted causing a huge draw and the Jeep wouldn't run right.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.