I'm Back and with a broken jeep this time. need some input on whats wrong - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > I'm Back and with a broken jeep this time. need some input on whats wrong

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 03-12-2011, 01:34 AM   #1
Ibreakevrything
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm Back and with a broken jeep this time. need some input on whats wrong

so after a year and a half of not coming (the army is awsome...) on the best forum in the world i'm back. This time for good, with a jeep ( ). So anyways i bought an 89 cherokee 4wd 4.0 all that good ****. anyways 1. when i get going 45 50 and \it the thing vibrates bad, not to much of a worry. 2(the biggie) when i turn right she dies wtf. as soon as the wheel straightens up i can start her right back up. the only thing i was thinking of was a shot spmewhere in the colum. its full of powersteering fluid before anyone says that.thanks for the help

MY HEEP ^
Ibreakevrything is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 07:14 AM   #2
cbordea
1998 XJ Cherokee 

the vibration is likely your tie rod ends or drag link, have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth while you are under it. Sometimes you can just tighten the nut down a little more and get a little more time out of it.

Ont he shutting off, I don';t realy know but I would think it is some kind of short or something in a wire in the steering column. Does it cut off if you turn the wheel while sitting still?

There are some links to sites on here about tearing into a steering column, I'll try to find some for you while you wait for others to chime in.
cbordea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
cbordea
1998 XJ Cherokee 

here are some links to sites that show how to tear into the columnn. There are some slight variations but the main thing is how to get the lock ring off. You need one of those tools and can usually get it as a loaner at a parts store.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/088020.html
http://www.buickperformance.com/tilt...lumnwobble.htm
cbordea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Are you sure your barking up the right tree? There's nothing that happens electrically when you turn the steering wheel right? I'd be more inclined to think it has something to do with the twisting of the body or something like that.

Now that I think more about it there could be a loose connection going to the ignition. Strange that it would only happen on a right turn through. You would think going over bumps or other such things would set it off.

I'd try to isolate the problem a little more before starting to tear stuff apart.
Rob K is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
ChicoXJ
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Is the vibration in the steering or is this a high speed vibration?
ChicoXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
Ibreakevrything
2008 JK Wrangler 

it happens when im doing between 40 and 55 and hit the gas it starts vibrating like crazy once i get to 55 its fine. wtf haha

MY HEEP ^
Unread 03-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #7
NinjaofDoom
1990 XJ Cherokee 

out of balance tires. Mine did that with my old tires
Unread 03-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #8
Ibreakevrything
2008 JK Wrangler 

so i figrued it out. it was my driveshaft. dropped her by my house now i need 2 u joint an outputshaft and input shaft. yay sunday... she new i was bringing her to a mun run tomorrow and was going through the pit lmfao

MY HEEP ^

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.