ignition switch wont turn how to remove and question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > ignition switch wont turn how to remove and question

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-28-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
bcameron1974

ignition switch wont turn how to remove and question

my 2000 automatic 4..0 cherokee is having problems with the key not turning. It started few weeks ago. At first would be random and got worst. I bought some graphite really didnt help. Almost got stuck at work today i tried turning and eventually got it to tun my tappin with hammer and turning same time. I now have the key turned and left key in so i can drive it..where the battery isnt running. Im having problems finding the new switch. and how do u remove the switch..do u have to remove the steering wheel or is it the platsic cover i remove behind the wheels...any tips and lenghts details...and would you say tha is a bad switch or possibly something else?

my build thread.http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-sahara-rebuild-thread-1990-a-784008/1990 YJ 4.2 nuttered-mc2150-team rush-4 inch RC-1.5''-Shackles-1 1/2''-15x10 American Racing Atlas Wheels-33x15x12.50 Goodyear A/T-Hella Offroad Winshield Lights-Black Met/Gold Paint -Custom Gold Decals
bcameron1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 03:05 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The ignition cylinder is removable. Take it out, clean it with some throttle body cleaner and then lubricate it with some gun oil. See if that solves your problem. Don't try to clean and lubricate the cylinder while it is still installed, you will just make a huge mess.

Directly under the ignition key cylinder is a hole is the plastic trim, turn the key to the ACC position or the Run position. Insert a small Phillips screw driver or a punch and press upward gently. There is a small button you are trying to push and when the key is in the right spot and the button is pushed, the lock cylinder and the key will pull out of the steering column. (If you have trouble, you can remove some screws and the bottom plastic trim can be removed. The button will be easier to see and activate). Remove the key and clean/lube the cylinder. Put the key back in and slide the cylinder back in place.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 03:56 AM   #3
bcameron1974

thanks I will try that..is there anything else it could be? Like ive heard that it could be something with a transmission lock or a ignitin switch in stead of cylynder..im assuming its the cylnder tho th ways its acting but never know...its basically getting stuck in the off position and im leaving the key in it and not turned quite all the wy to lock to keep it where it will turn again...it actually took alot of searching and glad u helped clear it up how to remove...so glad i dont have to take wheel off..with a air bag.
my build thread.http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7840081990 YJ 4.2 nuttered-mc2150-team rush-4 inch RC-1.5''-Shackles-1 1/2''-15x10 American Racing Atlas Wheels-33x15x12.50 Goodyear A/T-Hella Offroad Winshield Lights-Black Met/Gold Paint -Custom Gold Decals
Unread 01-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcameron1974 View Post
..is there anything else it could be?
Yes there are other possibilities, but clean the cylinder first, that should cure the problem.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
Unread 01-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
bcameron1974

i put the key in the ignition then put a screwdriver in th hole below the ignition..it took awhile to get just right but the ignition popped out but only half way..i couldnt pull the rest of it out...i luckily was able to pop it back after few tries..should that thing slide easily out once it gives..
its also a hard part to find..i talked to chrysler they said ignition cylyder 120 i think and they also got the tumblers if cyclynde was good still...i just dont know what to do..
my build thread.http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7840081990 YJ 4.2 nuttered-mc2150-team rush-4 inch RC-1.5''-Shackles-1 1/2''-15x10 American Racing Atlas Wheels-33x15x12.50 Goodyear A/T-Hella Offroad Winshield Lights-Black Met/Gold Paint -Custom Gold Decals
Unread 01-29-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

It should slide right out. You can try a little bit of WD-40 or spray lubricant.

I have put junkyard locks and keys in two different Cherokees. I think I paid like $40 for a complete set of locks with two keys. A locksmith can re-key a used ignition cylinder for much less than the dealership charges.

Unread 01-30-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
bcameron1974

i tried again its like its catching on something...did u take plastic shroud off around column...i just noticed 2 screws around the plastic and i turned them for 20 minutes and didnt loosen...
Unread 01-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

On a 2000 you shouldn't have to remove the plastic. If you want to, get a flash light and light up the 3 Phillips screws, they are way at the bottom of those holes. If you don't have the screw driver at the correct angle and cantered in the holes it doesn't fit into the screws and you can twist all day long and get nothing done.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.