Ignition switch problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Ignition switch problems

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-02-2006, 12:33 AM   #1
DEPartsnPieces
2008 MK Patriot 

Ignition switch problems

Twice now my ignition switch has jammed up so that the key wouldn't turn far enough to engage the starter. I moved the gear shift, the steering wheel, anything I could think of. Finally used a pair of pliers to turn the key, which worked okay except that after the second time the starter engages at the very limit of what I can turn the key...

Basically one more time and I'm screwed!

Okay...should I take the steering column apart (that sounds like fun) or wire in a switch for the starter so that I just turn the key on and then hit a button to crank it?

Unread 09-02-2006, 01:07 PM   #2
kencaz

I had the same exact problem... my key would not move to the start position. I did not want to replace the cylinder lock either. For a temporary fix I used my Fog light relay to jump the start relay at pins 30 and 87.

It has been temporary for too long, however, and I'm just going to run another momentary switch for the starter.

I like it better this way anyway.

KC

"I say we dust-off and nuke the site from orbit... It's the only way to be sure!"
kencaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2006, 01:18 PM   #3
silverslk

Sounds like the switch under the dash. The XJ key portion of the ignition won't "JAM" it only rotates in its location. It moves a rod down the outside of the steering column to a ignition switch that contols the different points (ACC, Ignition on and START) and locks the wheel. The switch fails inside and will cause this stiff/jamming feeling. Its $12.99 from autozone and fairly easy to change (easier than wiring a whole new starting circuit).

You may (for the first time) have to pull the dash knee bar and lower the steering column to see whats going on. Its like a 5/16 and a 1/4 or something like that and a 13 or 15mm to lower the column (do a search).
silverslk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2006, 06:01 PM   #4
DEPartsnPieces
2008 MK Patriot 

Okay, thanks. I'll have to give that part a shot...otherwise I'll wire up a switch or something.

I don't want to get stranded!
Unread 09-04-2006, 09:28 AM   #5
shakey4542

I just replaced the ignintion switch on my 88 xj. It took all of about 30 minutes. I was having the same exact problem. The switch is cheap and pretty easy to replace. Buy the switch and replace it, don't hook another jump switch...the problem is an easy fix!
shakey4542 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.