Ignition Switch Problem, BIG!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Ignition Switch Problem, BIG!!

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
superwhite06

Ignition Switch Problem, BIG!!

I have a big problem with my ignition switch. Every time I go to start my 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4 door 4.0L the key goes way too far over and won't start the vehicle, so I had to put a remote start in to start it. I just bought a new ignition switch replaced it and it is still doing the same thing. The radio turns on, the fuel pump kicks in and all the lights on the dash light up but it will not start the vehicle.

What could the problem be??? I am stumped!!

Thanks everyone

superwhite06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Did you replace the switch or the key cylinder?

Sounds like more of a problem with the key cylinder.

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
TaterTott
1991 XJ Cherokee 

neutral safety switch is my guess..

looks like this... it is located on the passenger side of the transmission..

loosen the adjusting bolt and push it up i believe??? might be down... i cant remember... you want if tight against that bolt though..

"Tater2" - '91 2 door XJ. 4.0, AW4, NP231/Dana 300 Doubler, GM 60/70HD, 40" IROKs on H1s
TaterTott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 04:43 AM   #4
superwhite06

I replaced the switch not the key cylinder...

It can't be the NSS cuz it started with the remote start with no problems. I am going to be putting a new remote start in it and hopefully it will start.
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
TaterTott
1991 XJ Cherokee 

so it starts with the remote start but not the key?

"Tater2" - '91 2 door XJ. 4.0, AW4, NP231/Dana 300 Doubler, GM 60/70HD, 40" IROKs on H1s
TaterTott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I would replace the key cylinder and be done with it.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #7
superwhite06

Yes it started with the remote start until that crapped out on me, lol... but not with the key at all... I would turn the key and all the lights and chimes would come on and the fuel pump would kick on but it just won't engage the actuator rod to start it, it goes way past the run position.

Could the cylinder be causing this problem or the actuator rod, if there is an actuator rod? I need this bad boy running ASAP my only means of transportation.
Unread 01-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
adkjeepxj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

There is no actuator rod to my knowledge that is all controlled buy the ignition switch, It sounds like the cylinder is bad. If it spins past the run position you either messed up putting the cylinder into your new ignition switch or your cylinder is bad. when you put the new ignition switch in you have to make sure that the column lock key is pointed to 3 oclock with the cylinder installed and in the lock position. Not sure if that made sense but the back of the switch after putting the lock cylinder in should have the column lock key pointing at 3 oclock and the park positon sensor should be all the way down
adkjeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #9
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The 95+ cherokees have a lock cylinder that actually have gears in them. If your key is going farther than it should, its likely that the gears are stripped or something in it is broken.

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 11:24 PM   #10
filluptrk
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Does the steering wheel lock and unlock with the key turned on and off? I have a 00 and I think a different column setup. Try going to a Jeep place and asking them to show you the ignition switch setup. If it has an actuator rod it will show on the screen.

Last edited by filluptrk; 01-24-2011 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: addition
filluptrk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 11:30 PM   #11
rawk hard xj
1989 XJ Cherokee 

The gear that is turned by your key is probably in the wrong position on the flat bar with teeth that pushes the rod down to the switch.
Unread 01-25-2011, 11:34 AM   #12
superwhite06

Thanks for all the help guys... I bought a new remote start from Autozone last night and put it in so now it starts... I am getting a new key cylinder today from a local lock shop and hopefully that fixes the key turning too far, if not then the remote start works and starts it up. I will let everyone know what the outcome is when I put the new cylinder in.
Unread 03-20-2011, 07:17 AM   #13
96upcountry
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Did you Get this resolved?

I have a similar problem and was wondering whatever happened.
[QUOTE=cruiser54;11297546]Looking at grounds doesn't count. You MUST remove, scrape, polish, clean and then reattach. Otherwise you're wasting your time. Unless of course, you have the ability to see electricity flow.............[/QUOTE]
96upcountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #14
412Moose
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Hi guys! I'm new to the forum, and new to owning a Jeep as well. I bought the following vehicle a few months ago:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ifted-Pampered

I did not pay $6k. Anyways........I am having a similar problem with this 89 XJ. When I first purchased it, it ran fine for about 300 miles or so, at which point I began experiencing a no-start issue. The first fix was turning off the MAPS adjuster - it then started up fine, immediately. A week later, I removed the MAPS adjuster, and shortly thereafter, began experiencing the no-start issue again. It stopped no-starting on it's own, and was running fine - then I had a sticking problem with the key. Long story short, by disconnecting the MAPS adjuster, but not disconnecting the wires, I caused a short in the vehicle, which in turn actually melted the ignition switch (located above the steering column on this model), as well as the plugs. The melted ignition switch prevented the key from being turned properly, as the switch was not sliding.

I replaced the plugs and replaced the ignition switch. The vehicle was running fine, but was only firing with the remote starter - the key was no longer working. Fast forward 4 weeks, and after having left the Jeep sit untouched for 10 days after a business trip, now the remote starter doesn't even work. Relay and pump runs fine, dash lights and all....but no crank. My battery was dead, so I charged it up completely - still no firing.

Anyone provide me with any assistance here?

Last edited by 412Moose; 02-17-2012 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: typos
412Moose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2012, 03:18 AM   #15
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwhite06 View Post
It can't be the NSS cuz it started with the remote start with no problems.
Are you sure about that? Typically the NSS is a safety feature that needs to be wired in to the remote start module, which is disabled unless it's getting a ground input from the NSS. But you can actually bypass the NSS feature by connecting that particular input wire, if so equipped, directly to the ground (obviously not recommended, but possible).
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.