Ignition Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Ignition Problems

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
XJ_AJK
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Ignition Problems

1992 XJ Limited 4.0 HO

I was driving down the road one day when my jeep shut off. I pulled over and it would just crank all day and not start. It turns out I had no power at the "run" position on my ignition switch, now I have no power at the switch, when I turn the key nothing happens no accesories or anything. Brand new Ignition switch didnt fix it. It is in the wiring I beleive.

I need to rewire the ignition switch completly bypassing the underdash harness, is it possible? The haynes manual doesnt have the right wire diagrams. Please help!!

XJ_AJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
XJ_AJK
1992 XJ Cherokee 

But the wiring seems fine could it be a possibility that my ecu isnt sending power to the ignition switch? I dont want to rewire it if I dont have to.
Unread 04-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
Carl48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you have no power at the switch, check the fuses in the power distribution center under the hood.

Yes, it is possible to rewire things to bypass the ignition switch...guys have installed pushbutton starters and guarded ignition switches but don't even think of attempting it without a factory service manual and a good knowledge of auto electric. If you fail to provide proper circuit protection you could end up burning up your Jeep.
Carl48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 02:57 PM   #4
XJ_AJK
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
If you have no power at the switch, check the fuses in the power distribution center under the hood.

Yes, it is possible to rewire things to bypass the ignition switch...guys have installed pushbutton starters and guarded ignition switches but don't even think of attempting it without a factory service manual and a good knowledge of auto electric. If you fail to provide proper circuit protection you could end up burning up your Jeep.
Well I replaced the fusebox/underdash harness. All the relays and fuses are good. Why dont I get power to the ignition?? Please help me I am about to go crazy and burn it down!!!
Unread 04-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
Carl48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Battery 12v hot is provided via a 60 amp fuse in the power distribution center under the hood to the ignition switch on a red 12awg wire. Output from the ignition switch in the "run" position is on 12awg dark blue wire. The "run" output provides power to the ASD relay coil, fuel pump relay coil, and the PCM (computer) pin 9.
Carl48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4.0 , cherokee , ignition switch , no start , wiring diagram

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.