Ignition problem, battery, or other electrical problem?... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Ignition problem, battery, or other electrical problem?...

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Jeep JK Wrangler NEW Heat Reducing Performance Vented HoodARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 09-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
Kasia
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Ignition problem, battery, or other electrical problem?...

Went to get in the truck tonight, lights and electrical worked, until I turned the key to start it, then everything shut off. Got a jump and drove it home, turned it off, tried starting it again and it didn't work. Got a knock on the door from my neighbor 10 min later and it turns out my lights are on; I figured maybe it had power so I'd try to start it again; same thing happens, everything shuts off. I just replaced the battery because of something like this back in April or March, and had no problems with it until today. I'm assuming it's not the battery... unless it's just defective. Again. Could it have anything to do with the ignition or battery wiring? my terminals are a bit worn, but they still work.. Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks.

Kasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Begin with basic trouble shooting of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, and from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body. You must remove, scrape, and clean until shiny, the cable/wire ends, and whatever they bolt to. Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage, bad connections, or poor grounds.

The battery, starter, and alternator can be Load Tested at the auto parts store.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Almost sounds like it is tripping a breaker. Could be a fuse-able link

1st clean all battery connections, terminals, start-relay (metallic, near battery), then charge the battery.

This may fix it, if not you may want to check the fuse-able links at the start-relay (if they are partially burned may give some power, then stop under greater load), also the under-dash wires esp Headlight wires, they tend to get hot and melt together, shorting the system.
p1050665-batt-comp-relay.jpg  
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
Kasia
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Battery is ok, Starter is ok, Alternator is ok, got them tested out. Gonna check the wires tomorrow for the battery and starter, clean and re-connect them, and check out that start-relay now that you mentioned it.

I do know I have some kind of short if i keep the fuse for the electric fan in ( i dont think my electric fan ever ran until I bought a new one and got a new fuse for it), but that's been out for over a year since i tried it. The regulator for the wipers was temporarily "fixed" about 2 years ago by taking out the regulator and directly connecting them... which I forgot about up until a couple months ago. That could be an issue.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.
Unread 09-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

There aren't any Cherokee circuit breakers, and a fusible link is a fuse, once blown, it is replaced. It could be a relay, but the symptoms you describe point to a poor connection or a faulty wire.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #6
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

How did you determine the battery was okay? You need to check with a digital voltmeter. A healthy battery should give you a steady 12.6-12.7V at rest. Anything below that is not okay. Agree with Tim, poor battery connections can contribute to your relays and electrical acting up (electrical arcing). Your battery posts should be spotless and you should see no sign of corrosion. Check your grounds, including the one from the negative battery post to the frame.
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2011, 01:32 AM   #7
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
There aren't any Cherokee circuit breakers, and a fusible link is a fuse, once blown, it is replaced. It could be a relay, but the symptoms you describe point to a poor connection or a faulty wire.
Mine does!
..at least 1 is in the above pic.
Like I said I hate fusible links, fuses too for that matter. - I had a bad fusible link, you couldn't tell just by looking at it, replaced with a breaker as with my fuses.
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #8
Kasia
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile View Post
How did you determine the battery was okay? You need to check with a digital voltmeter. A healthy battery should give you a steady 12.6-12.7V at rest. Anything below that is not okay. Agree with Tim, poor battery connections can contribute to your relays and electrical acting up (electrical arcing). Your battery posts should be spotless and you should see no sign of corrosion. Check your grounds, including the one from the negative battery post to the frame.
The battery was measured at 12.9V. I know the negative wire that's grounded out to the side of the truck is covered in dirt or mud, but it's been like that for a few years. guess now's a good time to clean it. that and the oil on the starter.

At least it's not an ignition problem, I don't know too much about ignition and that's what I was most worried about...
Unread 09-24-2011, 12:06 AM   #9
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Since the lights go out, I would concentrate on the battery to PDC cable. Then go after the black ground cables under the hood.
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 12:09 AM   #10
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

As the lights go out, I would check the battery to PDC cable, then go after the black ground cables.
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.