Ignition disable - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Ignition disable

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 01-23-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
AlC
2001 FSJ Cherokee 

Ignition disable

I intend to replace my oil pump and want to crank the motor until I see oil pressure.
Obviously don't want it to fire up until then so any suggestions for a simple way to disable the ignition?

AlC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Remove the following fuses from your PDC:

IGN RAIL COIL FUEL INJECTORS and ASD to be sure.

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
AlC
2001 FSJ Cherokee 

Exactly what I was looking for.......Thank You!
AlC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
landude
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Hey, Ken you have a few in backwards....
landude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 03:30 AM   #5
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by landude View Post
Hey, Ken you have a few in backwards....
Explain.

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
Unread 01-24-2014, 06:51 AM   #6
KF4SQB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Ken, I think he's making a joke. The numbers on some on your fuses are turned a different direction than others.

For the original question: doesn't the 4.0's oil pump drive off of the bottom of the distributor shaft? My brother uses a nifty little trick for Ford and Chevy engines for this very purpose. Remove the drive gear from the shaft of an old distributor, gut the internals out of the distributor, and slide it down into the block, making sure it engages with the oil pump. Then, chuck a drill to the top of the shaft, and run the drill until you see oil pressure, plus an additional 15-20 seconds. You've now primed the entire engine, without turning it over.

Confidence: The feeling you get just before you fully understand the situation!
KF4SQB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 07:15 AM   #7
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF4SQB View Post
Ken, I think he's making a joke. The numbers on some on your fuses are turned a different direction than others.

I figured as much but was wondering what he meant by "Backwards".

For the original question: doesn't the 4.0's oil pump drive off of the bottom of the distributor shaft? My brother uses a nifty little trick for Ford and Chevy engines for this very purpose. Remove the drive gear from the shaft of an old distributor, gut the internals out of the distributor, and slide it down into the block, making sure it engages with the oil pump. Then, chuck a drill to the top of the shaft, and run the drill until you see oil pressure, plus an additional 15-20 seconds. You've now primed the entire engine, without turning it over.
Yes, the oil pump is driven by the distributor drive shaft (pre-2000) and by the Oil Pump Drive/Cam Position Sensor shaft (2000/2001).

I did exactly what your brother did on my '99. Works good.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.