idle problems// backfire// no power on accelaration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > idle problems// backfire// no power on accelaration

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
thundering89
1992 XJ Cherokee 

idle problems// backfire// no power on accelaration

hi, i am new to this jeep forum.
I have been having a big problem with my 92 jeep cherokee. sometimes it will idle fine but sometimes it will start sputtering. it has started developing a popping in the intake, such as backfire.

when i put it in gear it begins to pop in the intake manifold really bad and the jeep doesnt go anywhere. i try slamming the gas pedal to the flood but it stays around idle RPMs and continues to sputter.

i have been chasing this problem for a while now. ive read many different threads and ive replaced the basics. plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel pump, filter, CPS,
i have a new ECU and new injectors in the mail. they should be here today

can someone give me an idea to what else it could be?

thundering89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
hookuspookus
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundering89 View Post
hi, i am new to this jeep forum.
I have been having a big problem with my 92 jeep cherokee. sometimes it will idle fine but sometimes it will start sputtering. it has started developing a popping in the intake, such as backfire.

when i put it in gear it begins to pop in the intake manifold really bad and the jeep doesnt go anywhere. i try slamming the gas pedal to the flood but it stays around idle RPMs and continues to sputter.

i have been chasing this problem for a while now. ive read many different threads and ive replaced the basics. plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel pump, filter, CPS,
i have a new ECU and new injectors in the mail. they should be here today

can someone give me an idea to what else it could be?
timing chain
hookuspookus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'd get a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve and verify fuel pressure, even though you have replaced the fuel pump. A backfire in the intake can indicate a lean fuel/air mixture. Regulator is still in play.

Your fuel pressure might be okay, but 5 minutes with a fuel pressure gauge will tell you if it is or not. It needs to be ruled in or out early in the troubleshooting process.

Also testing of the MAP sensor would be a good idea as that contributes to fuel/air mixture.

Checking your computer for any stored codes another good idea. Yours is old enough where you can use the key-on, key-off technique to check for those codes.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
rafterman45
1994 ZJ 

I'm now suffeing from a similar problem. It will idle "ok" once warm, but no power, intake backfire, stall and die
rafterman45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
thundering89
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwalker View Post
I'd get a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve and verify fuel pressure, even though you have replaced the fuel pump. A backfire in the intake can indicate a lean fuel/air mixture. Regulator is still in play.

Your fuel pressure might be okay, but 5 minutes with a fuel pressure gauge will tell you if it is or not. It needs to be ruled in or out early in the troubleshooting process.

Also testing of the MAP sensor would be a good idea as that contributes to fuel/air mixture.

Checking your computer for any stored codes another good idea. Yours is old enough where you can use the key-on, key-off technique to check for those codes.
i replaced the fuel pressure regulator and the MAP sensor also. i did a compression test on the cylinders to rule out worn valves. each cylinder was between 100 and 110 psi.
i couldnt find my fuel pressure gauge so ill have to run to the shop tomorrow and pick one up.
Unread 12-06-2010, 11:10 PM   #6
thundering89
1992 XJ Cherokee 

i put the new ECU in and nothing. the jeep still runs horrible.
the next thing is checking the fuel pressure and timing chain.
is there any way to adjust the timing on a 92 cherokee?
Unread 12-07-2010, 02:51 AM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Test the Throttle Position Sensor and the O2 sensors.

For the HO years, 91-02, the O2 sensor has 4 wires. One wire is the 12-14 volt power that comes from the O2 sensor heater relay on the passenger side firewall (unless they moved them in later years to the relay & fuse boxes?), and that powers the internal heater in the sensor so that the sensor can work at idle, and almost immedietly after start up. Loss of that power will hurt gas mileage even with a good O2 sensor.

Two black wires are grounds for the heater power and O2 signal to the ECU. A poor ground will limit current to the O2 sensors heater or cause an error in the O2 sensor output voltage read by the PCM (ECU) causing poor mileage even with a good O2 sensor. Test the 2 ground wires with power off. Test between the wire end at the sensor and the battery negative ground post. It should read less than 1 ohm.

The last wire, #4, is a signal feed wire, 0-1 volts, from the O2 sensor to the PCM (ECU) sensor. The O2 sensor is an O2 concentration sensitive variable voltage generator. At optimal O2 concentration the O2 sensor puts out 0.45 volts.

At idle that voltage should read 0.1-0.9 volts oscillating quickly back and forth roughly once every second. At 2000 rpm it should run between 0.4 and 0.5 volts max (in park). A digital meter can NOT be used for reading the O2 sensor voltage, but it can be used to test the grounds and the 12-14 volts to the heater. You must use an old style analog meter with the needle gauge on the display to see the voltage swing back and forth.

If the O2 sensor readings are not right, say they read .1 volts or .8 volts steady, you have a problem. BUT before you blame the O2 sensor make sure it has good wiring, and make sure the proper voltage is feeding it, by turning power on, engine off to read the engine off voltage feeds (12-14 on one, and ensure the ground wires (power off) reads less than 1 ohm to the battery negative post.

If any one of the grounds or the O2 sensor to ECU/PCM wires reads a high voltage chances are the wiring harness is damaged and the 12-14 volts for the O2 sensor heater is getting through a bad spot in the wires insulation and contacting a ground wire or the O2 sensor wire feed to the ECU/PCM. This is not the O2 sensors fault, but a wiring problem.

A leaky exhaust system or leaky fuel injector(s), or bad compression or leaky valves, bad plugs, wires, cap, rotor, HV coil, and so on, or combination of these, can also cause a lean or rich condition that gives you high or low O2 sensor readings that are not the O2 sensors fault, so try and verify those other items also before buying parts like an O2 sensor to fix your problem.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 02:02 AM   #8
thundering89
1992 XJ Cherokee 

checked everything. timing looks good. no worn cam lobes. hooked up the car to the modis scan tool and all sensors working good. still waiting for the injectors to get her. it idles fine and runs good before 1500 rpm, once you get to 1500 rpm or more it starts popping real bad in the intake.
This problem is boggling my mind.
Unread 12-08-2010, 04:30 AM   #9
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Have you checked the fuel pressure yet?
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #10
thundering89
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Have you checked the fuel pressure yet?
fuel pressure at 15 psi. the range for my jeep is 12 to 15, so it is good
Unread 12-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #11
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundering89 View Post
fuel pressure at 15 psi. the range for my jeep is 12 to 15, so it is good
Where in the world did you come up with that spec for your fuel pressure?

It should be in the high 30s.
Unread 12-08-2010, 05:27 PM   #12
Topgun514
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I had the same problem, my TPS had been installed by some idiot (Myself) and the sensor was not underneath the throttle jam itself. I would check your TPS first.
3.5" Lift, RE SF LCA's with skids, 31x10.50R15 Duratracs, ARB Roofrack, Custom Bumper, Glasspack, Bored TB, Custom seats
Topgun514 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #13
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun514 View Post
I had the same problem, my TPS had been installed by some idiot (Myself) and the sensor was not underneath the throttle jam itself. I would check your TPS first.
You would check the TPS first when he has only 15 PSI of fuel pressure and 31 to 39 is required?
Unread 12-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #14
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Cruiser is right on.

I believe that the fuel pressure at idle should be approx. 31 psi.

If you don't have these numbers, STOP and resolve this!
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #15
thundering89
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

woops. i was looking at the wrong section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.