Idle problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Idle problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 01-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
92briarwood
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Idle problems

I just can't seem to figure out why it won't stay running. I have replaced idle air control valve, throttle position sensor, and crank position sensor. I have perfect fuel pressure. It will run if I feather the throttle around 4000 rpms. But won't idle or run if i feather throttle under that.

92briarwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
92briarwood
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I have also replaced plugs and wires and all that
Unread 01-20-2014, 05:58 PM   #3
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Something simple that is often missed is a "marginal" battery. And yes, you can have a battery strong enough to start the engine, but marginal enough to give the engine management system fits. One of the primary symptoms of a weak battery on the 4.0 is "engine stalling".

I'm not saying that is your problem, but it is something you should rule in or out before moving on. Any parts store will "load test" your battery for free.

Any check engine light? Even if the answer is no, I'd check for any stored codes for clues. Here's how on your 92.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retrieving OBD codes on the Jeep Cherokee (XJ) OBD1 Models: 1991-1995

1) Start engine (if possible). Move transmission shift lever
through all positions, ending in Park. Turn A/C switch on and then off
(if equipped).
2) Turn engine off. Without starting engine again, turn
ignition on, off, on, off and on within 5 seconds. Record 2-digit
fault codes as displayed by flashing MIL.
3) For example, fault code 23 is displayed as flash, flash,
4-second pause, flash, flash, flash. After a slightly longer pause,
other codes stored are displayed in numerical order. When MIL begins
to flash fault codes, it cannot be stopped. Start over if count is
lost.

NOTE: A "5-5" will always occur to signal the end of the sequence. Some will flash the "1-2" code indicating a recent battery disconnect even if you haven't done it. Ignore these two codes, and mark down all others.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
92briarwood
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I just bought a new battery not even 4 months ago. I just had some bad gas in it. But I drained all that and replaced it. And put new plugs in it after I replaced the gas. And put some seafoam in it to clean everything out.
Unread 01-20-2014, 06:15 PM   #5
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Never rule out the possibility of new parts failing; it happens way more than you would think.

I've personally had a number of new batteries fail within the first year. A 5 minute load test is one of the first things a technician would do if you had it in the shop and will rule it in or out.

Troubleshooting is a process of elimination and you need to eliminate the simple stuff first.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 10:04 PM   #6
dzywicki
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Been there and done that with tbe battery. A marginal battery will keep it from idling correctly.
dzywicki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 10:11 PM   #7
92briarwood
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I figured it out. I have a bad fuel pump resistor. It's not a very common part to go out. Tested it by using a jumper wire because there is only two plugs and when I did that it started right up an purred like a kitten.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.