idle issue after changing exhaust manifold - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > idle issue after changing exhaust manifold

Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-208.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for JeepsPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 07-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
sreilly1
1999 FSJ Cherokee 

idle issue after changing exhaust manifold

Ok, i know i probably screwed something up. I just finished replacing the exhaust manifold on my 99 Cherokee 4.0, which of course meant i had to remove the intake manifold, power steering pump and electric fan to do it. I put everything back together and now when i start the motor it immediately wants to red line, so i shut other down. I double checked all my electrical connections and they look good. Any idea what is wrong?

sreilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

With the motor running that fast it has to be getting air from somewhere. Double check the throttle body. Make sure there is nothing holding the throttle plate open.

Sent from my phone

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
miceanic
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Recheck all the manifold bolts, might have missed one so the intake is sucking in lots of air
miceanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Those are common symptoms of incorrectly re-installing the intake manifold. There is a massive air leak at the intake manifold gasket.

You will have to unbolt the intake manifold, and re-seat it square and flush to the head. If necessary, run a drill bit into the holes the dowel pins fit into to clean them up and make them slightly larger.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
Glavus
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I just recently changed my cracked manifold, I got everything together and it immediately red lined when I started her up.

I took off the intake and tried putting it on again, and that fixed my issue.
Glavus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
sreilly1
1999 FSJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys. I looked some more with a mirror and found the pins were not lined up. Got them lined up now and just snug. Will finish tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
sreilly1
1999 FSJ Cherokee 

Amazing what happens when get the pins lined up. Hour or so to get it together but its done and working perfect. Thanks again.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.