I want to install a transmission fluid cooler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > I want to install a transmission fluid cooler

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 10-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
YeOlCherokee

I want to install a transmission fluid cooler

98 cherokee 4.0 140000 miles AW4

Got the jeep about 10,000 miles ago. It had dark burnt fluid. I am in the process of doing drain and fills until it is a steady red. Once i get there, i will be changing the filter/screen, and then i would like to install a transmission fluid cooler

This is the one i was planning on getting from RockAuto
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...654&cc=1315943

Please check it out, and let me know:
-Will this fit?
-Will it be compatible?
-Is it a good one? (I have heard decent things about hayden)

And additionally, what is involved with installing one of these/how hard is it?
And do they need maintanence? like if it fails, is it going to screw something else in the cooling system up?

YeOlCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

-Will this fit? Yes
-Will it be compatible? Yes
-Is it a good one? (I have heard decent things about hayden) Yes

I personally like the B&M 70264 for the XJ (and have one on mine), it isn't as tall (5.75") but it is thicker (1.5") which increases the cooling capacity while making it an easier fit (though a 7.5" fits fine, a 11" tall cooler is a tight fit) and not blocking as much air-flow. The B&M is a bit more expensive though ($70).

Both B&M and Hayden coolers are good quality and I would recommend either. I also highly recommend plate and fin coolers like the one you listed and the 70264 since they cool better and are more durable than cheaper tube and fin coolers.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

There isn't a whole lot of "complicated" about either cooler, or any cooler. The red stuff goes through it, the air cools the vanes, the red stuff goes back to the tranny, cooler than it was.

Go for it.
Paradise XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
jeff540
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Read my reply to post "Aux trans cooler" to bypass or not to bypass,been posted yesterday.should be on page 1 or 2 of the technical section,

You want to Bypass it from the radiator,and go through the tranny cooler by itself,read my post,you will see why.

both tranny coolers are good,and i have not even seen them,anything is better then the radiator cooler. imo.

I got one from a ford exploror at the junkyard years ago,for like 7 bucks,still going strong.it is a plate and fin type.

the tube and fin type are weaker i would think.

good luck,keep us posted.

Last edited by jeff540; 10-18-2013 at 07:53 PM..
jeff540 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

The radiator has more of a purpose of warming the trans in colder temps. Dont count it 100% out.

If you are going to try and do a full fluid swap, and have the lines disconnected, take the intake and put it in a bucket of new fluid, and the output into an empty bucket, idle the engine, shut off once its done. The trans pump will move the fluid for you.
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
Roler

The so-called forward flush. Safes you a lot of time.I just did this, after having drained and refilled twice in 5000 km, the first 5 liters that pored out during the flush were black, black black (and that despite the 2x drain refill prior)
Now nice and red after almost double that (Think this equals +/- 2 gallons in our units).
I didnt do the bucket with new fluid though, because you then rely on sucking power, which is not very much. I just pored it through the filler tube with a funel with decent diameter. You can do this by yourself, just keep an eye on the colout that comes out and once red, shut the engine off. Do all this in neutral.

The whole thing about this is:
you dont agressively flush the trans, your using it's own pump
you get everything changed, including the ATF in the converter and not just the 2-3 ltrs you get when drain and refill
you are done for the next 30K in 15 minutes.
Roler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff540 View Post
Read my post "Aux trans cooler" to bypass or not to bypass,been posted yesterday.should be on page 1 or 2 of the technical section,

You want to Bypass it from the radiator,and go through the tranny cooler by itself,read my post,you will see why.
Considering the OP lives in PA I would highly recommend keeping the rad in-line or using a thermostat (they do make transmission fluid/oil thermostats that you plumb into the lines). It will take forever for the fluid to heat up in winter if it is going through an external cooler with a high cooling capacity and bypassing the rad.
Unread 10-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
jeff540
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
Considering the OP lives in PA I would highly recommend keeping the rad in-line or using a thermostat (they do make transmission fluid/oil thermostats that you plumb into the lines). It will take forever for the fluid to heat up in winter if it is going through an external cooler with a high cooling capacity and bypassing the rad.
I lived in Pa. before relocating to Tn.in 2006.I never had a problem with the tranny cooler in Pa. I just refuse to plumb it through the rad after what happened to me with my rad collapsing internally,what a mess,needed to replace tranny and flush out coolant and tranny fluid mix,I had to remove every heater hose top and bottom rad hoses flush heater core, and that is just not running water through them,I needed soap and water from the mess that made.

I would have been better off if my radiator just would have exploded.
Unread 10-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
YeOlCherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff540 View Post
I lived in Pa. before relocating to Tn.in 2006.I never had a problem with the tranny cooler in Pa. I just refuse to plumb it through the rad after what happened to me with my rad collapsing internally,what a mess,needed to replace tranny and flush out coolant and tranny fluid mix,I had to remove every heater hose top and bottom rad hoses flush heater core, and that is just not running water through them,I needed soap and water from the mess that made.

I would have been better off if my radiator just would have exploded.
So do you reccomend bypassing the radiator and just running the cooler straight thru to the radiator? I am concerned that my trans fluid wont warm up well. It can get down to 10 degrees here in philly in the dead of winter, but overall stays above that temp, and never passes 100 in the summer
YeOlCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOlCherokee View Post
So do you reccomend bypassing the radiator and just running the cooler straight thru to the radiator? I am concerned that my trans fluid wont warm up well. It can get down to 10 degrees here in philly in the dead of winter, but overall stays above that temp, and never passes 100 in the summer
Personally I would (and did) keep the rad inline since it helps to warm the fluid on cold days and should add a little to the cooling capacity (however 10k+ Btu external cooler shouldn't have any issues cooling the fluid by itself).

Failures of the stock integral transmission cooler in the rad are extremely rare on XJs (they are common on some other vehicles such as Pathfinders), but they can happen on any vehicle that has such a cooler, and a failure that allows coolant to enter the transmission will require a transmission rebuild or replacement (good used AW4s are cheap and easy to find though).
Unread 10-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #11
jeff540
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOlCherokee View Post

I reccomend not connecting to the radiator at all. the 2 tranny lines that originally go to the radiator, you discionnect from the radiator, plug the radiator cooler threads with a threaded plug of the coorect size. mount the aftermarket tranny cooler behind the grill. get the transmission rubber hose ran from the old tranny lines to the cooler.

is that +10 degrees? down here in Tn.I have seen it hit 0 degrees with no problems. you have to look at it like this: the jeep runs at 210 degrees, your tranny is going to run hotter then that,if you have any cooling system problems,ie.thermostat sticks closed,water pump goes out,radiator is partially clogged,cooling fan don't come on at 230 degrees. like it is supposed to. with the tranny cooler going into the radiator and the tranny cooler,you are going to be running your tranny hot,and the number one thing that kills automatic transmissions is heat.

if after the tranny cooler install,you have shifting problems on cold days,which i don't think you will,you can always run the cooler and the radiator cooler together.
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #12
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Both my XJs have very sluggish shifting on cold days, unless i let teh vehicle run up to temp by idling beforehand. (which is not always necessary with modern vehicles)

Tags
transmission , transmission cooler , transmission fluid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.