I searched but still can't find, about a cam shaft!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > I searched but still can't find, about a cam shaft!?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-11-2006, 01:44 AM   #1
devile
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I searched but still can't find, about a cam shaft!?

Ok, i have a 1991 Jeep cherokee that has a 3" lift... and is ognna be a DD, no trails or anything hardcore... So im gonna do some preformance upgrades such as, cold air intake, high flow exhaust, and i'm gonna do a top end rebuild because of the ticking and other noises... (Rebuild head, new lifters, push rods...) and here is my Question. Has anybody put a preformance cam shaft in their jeep? If so let me know if it's worth the money, and what i should be looking for. Thanks...

Unread 02-11-2006, 10:42 AM   #2
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Theres a few companies that have performance cam's for the 4.0. If your going to do a top end rebuild and you plan on adding a cam, definatly have the head ported and polished to take advantage of the cam, it would be a minimal gain without doing that. Try www.summitracing.com i've seen 4 or 5 on there. You can also try www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums and go into the "Speedfreaks" section, they can actually set you up with the perfect cam for your needs.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
whitexj88

http://www.cranecams.com/index.php?s...243-258%20C.I.
whitexj88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Go over to Jeeps Unlimited's Speed Freak board and ask Dino about cam profiles for the 4.0. I had asked him at one point and he said you can get some good gains out of a cam. I just can't remember what manufacturer and profile he said to use.
Unread 02-11-2006, 01:08 PM   #5
Voyager

When I needed a replacement cam for my 1990 the mechanic (someone I trust completely) advised against it. He simply said the performance gain wasn't worth the extra $ and I would get better and longer service from a stock replacement. But maybe you're looking to go more extreme than I was.
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2006, 03:34 PM   #6
LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW
Web Wheeler
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I have a comp cam, aswell as comp rockers and lifters.
LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #7
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
He simply said the performance gain wasn't worth the extra $ and I would get better and longer service from a stock replacement.
Uhh.. I dont know about that. Cams are between $90 and $130 for what ive seen for the 4.0, thats really not much money for a true performance gain. It wont be huge but it will help, and there will be an improvment, especially with added headwork like I suggested. There is no reason why a different cam (as long as its new, with correct lifters and such) will be less reliable than a stock cam. It will last just as long, as long as it was put together right.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2006, 04:25 PM   #8
JeepsterLR
1999 WJ 

Dino Savva's various websites have about as much info available as you can find anywhere on the net about performance for the 4.0.

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/Jeep4.0Camshafts.htm

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/
JeepsterLR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.