I searched but still can't find, about a cam shaft!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > I searched but still can't find, about a cam shaft!?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-11-2006, 12:44 AM   #1
devile
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I searched but still can't find, about a cam shaft!?

Ok, i have a 1991 Jeep cherokee that has a 3" lift... and is ognna be a DD, no trails or anything hardcore... So im gonna do some preformance upgrades such as, cold air intake, high flow exhaust, and i'm gonna do a top end rebuild because of the ticking and other noises... (Rebuild head, new lifters, push rods...) and here is my Question. Has anybody put a preformance cam shaft in their jeep? If so let me know if it's worth the money, and what i should be looking for. Thanks...

Unread 02-11-2006, 09:42 AM   #2
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Theres a few companies that have performance cam's for the 4.0. If your going to do a top end rebuild and you plan on adding a cam, definatly have the head ported and polished to take advantage of the cam, it would be a minimal gain without doing that. Try www.summitracing.com i've seen 4 or 5 on there. You can also try www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums and go into the "Speedfreaks" section, they can actually set you up with the perfect cam for your needs.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2006, 09:57 AM   #3
whitexj88

http://www.cranecams.com/index.php?s...243-258%20C.I.
whitexj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2006, 10:39 AM   #4
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Go over to Jeeps Unlimited's Speed Freak board and ask Dino about cam profiles for the 4.0. I had asked him at one point and he said you can get some good gains out of a cam. I just can't remember what manufacturer and profile he said to use.
Unread 02-11-2006, 12:08 PM   #5
Voyager

When I needed a replacement cam for my 1990 the mechanic (someone I trust completely) advised against it. He simply said the performance gain wasn't worth the extra $ and I would get better and longer service from a stock replacement. But maybe you're looking to go more extreme than I was.
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2006, 02:34 PM   #6
LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW
Web Wheeler
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I have a comp cam, aswell as comp rockers and lifters.
LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2006, 03:05 PM   #7
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
He simply said the performance gain wasn't worth the extra $ and I would get better and longer service from a stock replacement.
Uhh.. I dont know about that. Cams are between $90 and $130 for what ive seen for the 4.0, thats really not much money for a true performance gain. It wont be huge but it will help, and there will be an improvment, especially with added headwork like I suggested. There is no reason why a different cam (as long as its new, with correct lifters and such) will be less reliable than a stock cam. It will last just as long, as long as it was put together right.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2006, 03:25 PM   #8
JeepsterLR
1999 WJ 

Dino Savva's various websites have about as much info available as you can find anywhere on the net about performance for the 4.0.

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/Jeep4.0Camshafts.htm

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/
JeepsterLR is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.