I need some technical advice, anyone up for it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > I need some technical advice, anyone up for it?

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiBushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 10-12-2006, 10:29 AM   #1
whitestallion

I need some technical advice, anyone up for it?

I am having some electrical trouble. I recently replaced my starter because my vehicle would not start periodically, it would sit there with all the lights on but nothing after that. After taking the part to a mechanic who rebuilt it, I reinstalled and the vehicle seemed to be working fine for about a month. After that, same old thing. I could bang on the starter and my Jeep would start, but in the end, it is a huge problem. I have had my battery and alternator checked at a local parts store, and they seem to be fine. I also replaced my battery cable ends. Could it be the starter again? I need some serious help, so any advice would be greatly appreciated...

whitestallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2006, 10:37 AM   #2
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Check the relay, solenoid and ignition switch. Also, check your connections on the solenoid and starter.
Unread 10-12-2006, 10:45 AM   #3
whitestallion

Thank you very much for your response mgertsch
Unread 10-12-2006, 10:53 AM   #4
SouthernJeepn06
1997 FSJ Cherokee 

just replaced my starter too bout 3 weeks ago. just didnt start one morning. took my battery with it. u said ur battery is fine though so thats good. def check the starter solenoid (sp) in ur fuse box under the hood. about a year ago my dad had to replace it because it did the same thing you were talking about. its a ten dollar part im pretty sure. i replaced that 2 three weeks ago just to be on the safe side.

1988 Jeep YJ- 4.2 carter carb, ax-15 swap, 33 procomp ats, 4" rancho, 2" bl. red, hard top, bikini top, xenon flares, limo tinted top, cd player, diamond plate rockers (sold in april) no back seat, olympic front bumper

damn i miss my yj but i love my cherokee
SouthernJeepn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2006, 10:54 AM   #5
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernJeepn06
just replaced my starter too bout 3 weeks ago. just didnt start one morning. took my battery with it. u said ur battery is fine though so thats good. def check the starter solenoid (sp) in ur fuse box under the hood. about a year ago my dad had to replace it because it did the same thing you were talking about. its a ten dollar part im pretty sure. i replaced that 2 three weeks ago just to be on the safe side.
The solenoidis connected to the starter. The relay is in the PDC.
Unread 10-12-2006, 10:55 AM   #6
jonzer12
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Most likely going to be a solenoid or connection to one, especially if a banging on your starter gets it going.
jonzer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2006, 11:01 AM   #7
rob92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

If there is any corrosion on the battery to starter or ground cable you will have the same problem, also the next time it does it try moving the shifter to neutral while starting it you may have a bad neutral safety switch.
rob92xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2006, 11:23 AM   #8
ORJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestallion
I also replaced my battery cable ends. Could it be the starter again?
Yes, if you are banging on the starter to get it to work it is probably bad. Try to get a new or quality rebuilt one. Next replace both cables, not the ends. Unless you are cutting back the cables and soldering the correct cable ends on, you will kill another innocent electrical item. The cable ends that clamp on are only for temporary use.
ORJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2006, 11:31 AM   #9
whitestallion

Thank you all for the advice. Going to try the recommendations you have given and maybe pray a little. I didn't know this site existed until about an hour ago, but I am very happy to be a part of this online community.
Unread 10-12-2006, 12:11 PM   #10
XxAdioxX

When it doesn't start, does the starter click or anmything? I'm having problems with my nuetral safety switch and I guess its a very common problem. Like the other guy said, try putting it it nuetral and jiggle it around a little in nuetral to see if it starts.

The switch is expensive to buy, but you may want to try cleaning it if you think that may be the problem. Heres a link:
http://www.jeepin.com/features/nss/index.asp
XxAdioxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2006, 12:37 PM   #11
kencaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestallion
After taking the part to a mechanic who rebuilt it, I reinstalled and the vehicle seemed to be working fine for about a month. After that, same old thing. I could bang on the starter and my Jeep would start, but in the end, it is a huge problem.
I would say that if your having the same issue and it starts after you hit on the solenoid then that is still your problem and it was probably re-built poorly. Does the mechanic you took it to have any warranty on it?

KC

"I say we dust-off and nuke the site from orbit... It's the only way to be sure!"
kencaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2006, 01:58 PM   #12
Maco98XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS
Check your grounds when diagnosing electrical problems. A loose, dirty or corroded ground connection can be misconstrued as a bad starter, alternator, etc.
You can spend tons of time and money chasing the problem if you dont check your connections.
Check the wires from the battery to starter to ground.
Also, check the NSS and the relays like the others said. Thats a big culprit too.
Unread 10-12-2006, 02:26 PM   #13
whitestallion

Changed out my Fuses and Relays; still broke. Tried putting it in neutral and starting and that wasn't the problem either. Ground and resistance checks were good. It was the starter itself again. I should have just bought a new one the first time around but I am too cheap. The guy who rebuilt it the first time is taking a look at it again. Almost want a refund and then buy a new one. Thanks all for the advice. You guys rock!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.