I need a new steering box, bad. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > I need a new steering box, bad.

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 01-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #16
AnthonyZ28
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond-x View Post
The 3/16" plate and spacers would be on the other side. The bumper brakets shouldn't make a difference here, you'll just need to replace longer grade 8 bolts.
The 3/16" plate is already on the inner side, correct? So just get those bolts/spacers and it should bolt right in?

AnthonyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #17
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyZ28

The 3/16" plate is already on the inner side, correct? So just get those bolts/spacers and it should bolt right in?
I added a 3/16" plate for strength, you should also Be sure you cut the spacers long enough and get longer grade 8 bolts. Then it's just like putting the stock unit in. The ONLY difference is the bigger diameter which is why you need the spacers.
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #18
AnthonyZ28
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond-x View Post
I added a 3/16" plate for strength, you should also Be sure you cut the spacers long enough and get longer grade 8 bolts. Then it's just like putting the stock unit in. The ONLY difference is the bigger diameter which is why you need the spacers.
Ok, what size bolts and spacers do I need?
Unread 01-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #19
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

You'll need to measure. Spacers are 1/2" inner diameter. Bolts are the same as what you have, just longer to allow for the spacers. Be sure you get them with enough thread to tighten down. As far as the length of the spacer, you'll need to measure, same with the bolts. Take your bolts off then bring 'em down to the hardware shop and get ones that are the same thread but longer.
Unread 01-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #20
AnthonyZ28
1993 XJ Cherokee 

How should I go about getting a new box? Should I get another cherokee box and brace the hell out of it? Or should I take the risk with the durango box? Money is tight and I can't afford getting the wrong box.
Unread 02-01-2013, 01:15 AM   #21
demonoid369
1997 XJ Cherokee 

get a yj box and be done with it
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 06:35 AM   #22
AnthonyZ28
1993 XJ Cherokee 

This one?

This one?

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...FSOnPAodCAwAzQ
Unread 02-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #23
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyZ28 View Post
Yes, that looks like it. However, you may be better of going to NAPA, or a local parts store. That way you can bring your current box down and make sure it's the right one.

How will you know it's the right one? : The three bolt holes that hold it to the frame will be in the exact orientation. The center body on the Durango box will be slightly bigger.

Have them swap the pitman arm to the new box for you.

Buy the extended bolts, be sure there are enough threads on the end to tighten it down,

Buy the tubing that the bolts fit into, cut them to length. They need to be long enough to keep the center of the steering box off the subframe.

Shape the new plate, hold it up to the sub-frame where it will be installed. Stick a Sharpie marker thru the frame and mark the holes to be drilled. Drill holes in the correct spot.

Slip bolts thru frame, slide plate on, slide tubing on each bolt, hold Durango box up and tighten bolts to proper torque, install tie-rod to pitman arm.

You may have to adjust your Toe-in.

It's not as complicated as it seems. Just be sure to compare the two boxes at the parts store. The bolt holes must line up.

You can do this

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.