I need help quick on tire fitting issue - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > I need help quick on tire fitting issue

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #16
deitzberg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

@GetLifted

I noticed the www.adaptitusa.com spacers didnt have the lip either. Do you run these with no issues?

deitzberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #17
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deitzberg View Post
I thought the wheel side should be too. Why would they even offer the spacers if they dont offer hub centric on the wheel side. How likely is it to be an issue? I don want to waste a bunch of money on spacers.
This is what i am saying. Wheel spacers=hassle/wasted money.

I know some nice factory wheels can be had cheap. But a lot of places wont service your vehicle, fix flats, rotate tires due to the liability of spacers.

Why do ebay sellers offer those nifty fan looking deals that "vortex" the air through the intake and improve MPG's by 15%? Because people are ignorant and buy them.
Unread 11-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #18
Anthony92x
2007 WK 

See I have rough country spacers on my WK. they make it look great and I haven't had any problems with them. I do know that its best to use loktite or whatever for the spacers. That way they stay on your hub. Check them after 500 miles. Tighten them on with a torque wrench and leave them be. Check every tire rotation. It can BE a hassle if you don't follow the steps right but if you do it's totally worth it. Since you already bought the tires I'm guessing them get the spiders and don't worry about it. Those are a trusted brand and they are hub centric.

Sent from the Death Star
Unread 11-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #19
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrail View Post
This is what i am saying. Wheel spacers=hassle/wasted money.

I know some nice factory wheels can be had cheap. But a lot of places wont service your vehicle, fix flats, rotate tires due to the liability of spacers.

Why do ebay sellers offer those nifty fan looking deals that "vortex" the air through the intake and improve MPG's by 15%? Because people are ignorant and buy them.
Do you have any actual real world experience with spacers? I purchased my BFG AT 33s from Sears. Lifetime mount balance rotation road hazard etc... When the worker pulled my wheels I kindly asked him to hand loosen and retorque all of the lugs to 98ft/lbs. He smiled (as he should) and completed the task without any hassle. Have yet to find a shop that wont sell or service my tires with adapters on.

I've had them for ~3 years now. Snow, sand, mud, dust, air born and hard compression, rocky road skinny pedal wheel hopping and many season changes. And guess what? My wheels keep on spinning just like the rest of the world. Never really even taken them off, just checked torque specs when I rotate or remove a wheel for some reason. Taking them off risks the chance of pulling a goof and dropping them, or getting debris between the mating surface causing "runout".

But if your careful on installation, demand all your lugs to be hand torqued to your spec when at a tire shop, and assuming the rest of your vehicle is in good condition (unit hubs, rotors, wheels...etc) then there is no reason why a properly built adapter/spacer cant be used to center a set of tires on a moderately built rig.

***disclaimer***
If your toying with the idea of 2-3" spacers to get a wider stance for various reasons...don't. Save your $ for full width axles.
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #20
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Personal experience using spacers? No, i purchase the correct parts to fit my vehicle. Experience at many shops? Yes worked for a few major brand shops including Goodyear stores. Policy is dont do it, if the wheel is removed and a spacer is found, torque wheel back on and back it out. I understand that it is fairly common to use them, if you do thats your business. I personally am not a fan and have not found a set of wheels that i couldnt live without. If they fit, run them. If i need $300 wirth of adapter/ spacers plus the cost of wheels i wouldnt even consider them. I want my junk to work good more than i think i want it to look good. My personal preference. If i couldnt live, for some reason, without said wheels then i would invest my money in a manner that would allow the wheels and also improve the vehicle(say ford 9" with the 5x5 pattern, and some GC knuckles which i thought had high steer type knuckle? and the appropriate unit bearing for the pattern) Dont quote me on the dana 30 high steer/GC brake upgrade. I will be the first to admit i never upgraded a D30, i pitch them in a pile out back.

Im not claiming they dont work ,just not for me and too much hassle for some silly wheels.
Just my opinions, nothing more, nothing less.
Unread 11-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #21
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrail View Post
Personal experience using spacers? No...
...Just my opinions
Glad we are on the same page.
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #22
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not in it for the battle spacers vs none. I just don't use them and shops I've worked at said its a liability. I have buddy's who rum them .

I can't see any wheel being so desirable that it warrants some $300 worth of adaptation to rum them. If I was to run some spacers I'd be spending the dollar on some name brand stuff, no eBay china junk.

Tags
grand cherokee , wheel , wheel adapter , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.