I need experts help!! Oil pressure guage at zero always not sending unit!! Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > I need experts help!! Oil pressure guage at zero always not sending unit!! Help

Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic HalogFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-20

Unread 05-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
steelbluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I need experts help!! Oil pressure guage at zero always not sending unit!! Help

Hi to all, I have a 98 jeep xj 4.0l auto. My issue is that after I start the oil pressure guage never reads!! It will bump a little but not up to the first reading. I have tried the following: 5 different oil pressure sending units including 2 mopar ones, a jumper wire to trick the guage, a new pcm, swapped clusters, bypassed the splice block and ccd bus(which is now hooked backed up to the original way)... Seriously people I need help with this issue, Ive had three different mechanics and a ton of money spent to try and fix this!! I am only in desperate need to fix because I have found an 01 yellow sport for a great deal!! Please anybody with any input would be greatly appreciated

steelbluexj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You could have a weak connection somewhere. Clean all of your grounds thoroughly. Trace the harness wire from your sending unit clear to the computer and check it for cracks, bad grounds, etc. May not be the problem but it cant hurt to try. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Unread 05-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
steelbluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I've checked all the wiring, I had a mechanic hook up a computer that sends a pulse through the wire to make sure it's good from one end to the other all the way to the cluster. We are still completely stumped with this issue
Unread 05-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
Saudade
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Did you use a mechanical gauge to verify the oil pressure?
Saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
steelbluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yes I installed one from advance and my oil pressure is great! It's about 45-50 at cold start so it's good.
Unread 05-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
GrnJeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Did you try the key trick to get the guages to run through the test cycle? I cant remember off hand what the key on off count is but maybe someone on here will remember.
GrnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
steelbluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yes many times I have tried the guage sweep test. They all work and like I said I even swapped clusters. Still no reading from the guage
Unread 05-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
ggjeep
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbluexj View Post
Yes I installed one from advance and my oil pressure is great! It's about 45-50 at cold start so it's good.
Leave it hooked up and don't sweat it, you've got good pressure.
Unread 05-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
steelbluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have for the time being, but like I said I'm trying to sell it and it will kill any interested parties because 0 oil pressure and check guages light stays on.

Tags
help please

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.