I'm in - Steering System Replace - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 02-13-2017, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'm in - Steering System Replace

Steering pump and box are on order. Have had the replacement spacer thingy for a long time due to a shipping error on some other parts.

While I am under this thing getting the leaky parts out and the new (reman) stuff in I am pondering this Boostwerks steering brace. Anybody else gaming one of these? I like the concept and what it does for the most part. Admittedly not crazy about the need for drop brackets for the sway bar. Another question that I have asked and not got an answer for as of yet is if you can also use it with the "frame" tie in brackets that oft come with larger bumpers a al these > https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJB/XJUNF-PC.html . Again wouldn't need the steering gear spacer but didn't want to spend the money on a part just to find out is not compatible with another part, potentially more integral when you put that heavy bumper on there.

Have you all found it needed to also replace the hoses when changing the gear and pump?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 02-13-2017, 07:17 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashDN View Post
Steering pump and box are on order. Have had the replacement spacer thingy for a long time due to a shipping error on some other parts.

While I am under this thing getting the leaky parts out and the new (reman) stuff in I am pondering this Boostwerks steering brace. Anybody else gaming one of these? I like the concept and what it does for the most part. Admittedly not crazy about the need for drop brackets for the sway bar. Another question that I have asked and not got an answer for as of yet is if you can also use it with the "frame" tie in brackets that oft come with larger bumpers a al these > https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJB/XJUNF-PC.html . Again wouldn't need the steering gear spacer but didn't want to spend the money on a part just to find out is not compatible with another part, potentially more integral when you put that heavy bumper on there.

Have you all found it needed to also replace the hoses when changing the gear and pump?
The ironman fab and boostwerks versions attach to the bottom of the frame rail. Most bumpers attach on the sides, using the 3 steering box bolts and identical holes on the opposite side as the reinforcement. Should be no interference.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 Old 02-14-2017, 06:12 AM
cheepnis
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I think you would want to replace the hoses, unless you knew they were recently replaced, and they come off easily.

I just did this job, Cardone reman pump, Delco reman gear, Gates hoses, IRO spacer. It took me the better part of the day, but I'm not the quickest mechanic.

You'll probably want to get yourself new bolts before starting the job. Even after a few days of soaking with PB Blaster, only one of the bolts came out. Pittman arm was very tough to get off too. I'm thinking everything on my '98 was original.

Good luck.

post #4 of 33 Old 02-14-2017, 08:55 AM
RedJeepster1
Low and Slow

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I also just replaced my steering box and pump a couple weeks ago, except with used parts from my parts Jeep. Wasn't the first time I had my box out though so I was done in about 2 hours, maybe even a little less. The 3 steering box bolts are covered in locktite from the factory, hit them with a little heat where they thread into the box and they will come out much easier. If you have a new box and a new pump I would go ahead and put new hoses in as well. At this point you are so close, you may as well finish the job.

Don't forget to check your pully's while you have the serpentine belt off. If any of them need replacing, now is the time.

88 YJ with a 4.6l stroker, AX-15, NP231, 2.5" lift, 4.10's and 33's
2000 Red XJ w/ 350k+, AW4, NP231, Locked Rear, HD Crown Leafs, trimmed to fit 33's, soon to be a donor
2000 Silver XJ, Drivetrain from the Red XJ, Stiffened, IRO leafs, RE coils, custom 3 link, WJ knuckles, 35's <=== In the works
post #5 of 33 Old 02-14-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Appreciate the advice. I'll head into local parts house and try for the hoses, should have bought the whole kit and kaboodle from rock auto while I was at it but I had a brain fart on them.

Most places will rent you the pittman arm puller correct? Any reason it cannot be pressed out using a bench vise and creative blocking and hammering?
post #6 of 33 Old 02-14-2017, 03:07 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Appreciate the advice. I'll head into local parts house and try for the hoses, should have bought the whole kit and kaboodle from rock auto while I was at it but I had a brain fart on them.

Most places will rent you the pittman arm puller correct? Any reason it cannot be pressed out using a bench vise and creative blocking and hammering?
Oreilly will at least, none of the other chains rent tools here. Mine was REALLY stuck on there. I rounded off the pitman arm puller and wound up only get it off through determined use a pickle fork (ball joint separator) and a 3lb shop hammer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 33 Old 02-14-2017, 04:29 PM
cheepnis
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Oh yeah, I hope you got a new pulley for the PS pump... chances are you'll damage/warp they existing one if you try and pull it off.

Autozone also 'rents' the pittman arm puller.

The bolts are 7/16-14 x 4 I also put flats/locks on there.

Last edited by cheepnis; 02-14-2017 at 04:35 PM. Reason: adding info
post #8 of 33 Old 02-14-2017, 04:51 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheepnis View Post
Autozone also 'rents' the pittman arm puller.
Call first if you haven't rented there before. The policy varies by state I think because NONE of the ones I've ever been to rent tools.

post #9 of 33 Old 02-15-2017, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Advance has a little puller kit. I have a pickle fork and hand sledge if the going gets tough. PB blastering is starting tonight.
post #10 of 33 Old 02-17-2017, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

First issue encountered. Durango steering gear up on the work bench. Grab the IRO steering gear spacer. There is about 3/16" worth of gap that will occur when using that spacer with the durango steering gear.

Limited research here and elsewhere on the google machine has indicated a few grade 8 washers to use as spacers are needed. Unfortunate that it won;t all bolt up as cleanly as I had wanted but I still think it will be an improvement over what i have down there now.

I pb blastered everything good yesterday afternoon.
post #11 of 33 Old 02-17-2017, 08:26 AM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
First issue encountered. Durango steering gear up on the work bench. Grab the IRO steering gear spacer. There is about 3/16" worth of gap that will occur when using that spacer with the durango steering gear.

Limited research here and elsewhere on the google machine has indicated a few grade 8 washers to use as spacers are needed. Unfortunate that it won;t all bolt up as cleanly as I had wanted but I still think it will be an improvement over what i have down there now.

I pb blastered everything good yesterday afternoon.
I used 2 washers in each bolt, for about 1/4" of extra spacing. That's needed in every thread I've seen on durango swap.

post #12 of 33 Old 02-20-2017, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Alright, here is the status after a weekend of wrenching and cussing.

You need lots of pb blaster and you need to be dosing that pittman arm in it early. Still stuck after several shots of heat and overnight soakings. I eventually just pulled the whole steering box out so I could wrangle it on the work bench. New pittman arm is on the way.

You need the 7/16"-14 x 4" bolts before you start. If you live in a small town don't expect the local hardware store to have what you need. Get more washers than you think you need too. They are cheap and you are going to drop some.

A helper to get the new steering box in would be ideal. You need someway to hold it, the bolts and keep the washers from sliding off.

Measure the distance the pulley needs to be off the PS pump before you take it off the old one, otherwise you are just going to have to eyeball it when the new one is installed and adjust.

Oil dry/cat litter. PS fluid is everywhere in my garage now. All over my work bench.

Finally, if you don't pull your rig all the way into the garage make sure you have a way to push it back out so the garage door can go down.

Having the radiator out and the transmission cooler lines out of the way would help a ton.
post #13 of 33 Old 02-20-2017, 01:33 PM
cheepnis
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Having the radiator out and the transmission cooler lines out of the way would help a ton.
Yes! I was refraining from adding this, since I wouldn't want anyone to unnecessarily replace stuff, ....
But lower radiator hose, and both transmission cooler lines... I now wish, that I had replaced them while I had everything out.
post #14 of 33 Old 02-22-2017, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

My radiator and lower hose is all fairly new, less than two years old, so I wasn't about to start ripping that stuff out.

Certainly not a have to but would make it easier to access where the bolts go through the frame area up there.

I've been out of town so I haven't got back on this but I am still waiting on that new pitman arm so it is just as well that I am.
post #15 of 33 Old 03-02-2017, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Finally the pitman arm showed up yesterday. I guess you get what you pay for in the world of shipping but I was one day away from raising a stink with Quadratech.

One disappointing thing before I even got it out of the bag was that it was made in Pakistan. I didn't even think we were very friendly with Pakistan.

Plan is to button everything back up this afternoon after work. I have the arm left to install, tie rod into pitman arm, high and low pressure hoses onto the steering gear, fill and purge air from the system, reinstall the electric fan and intake (removed for better access), pray it all works and start it up and test drive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.