I get a Bad Grinding sound When i Engage 4WD - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > I get a Bad Grinding sound When i Engage 4WD

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 12-06-2010, 07:10 AM   #16
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminsjeep24 View Post
I dont get how a grinding is normal....its not normal, even if on pavement in 4wd...
4wd part time is not meant to be driven on pavement. Tires are trying to turn at different speeds and the TC won't let them, so something has to give. When I first bought my Jeep, I drove it in 4wd PT on very light snow on the road and it made some pretty bad noises when making tight turns. I learned pretty quick after that.

If you do have it in 4wd on pavement, don't turn at all. Especially tight turns. Yes, that will cause all sorts of noises and it's bad for the TC. Find a loose gravel road or mud if you want to try out the 4wd system.

Now if it starts making noises when you put it in 4wd and go straight, it could be the TC linkage. Mine did that once and just needed a little adjusting.

Unread 12-06-2010, 11:08 AM   #17
300zxnovaman
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
4wd part time is not meant to be driven on pavement. Tires are trying to turn at different speeds and the TC won't let them, so something has to give. When I first bought my Jeep, I drove it in 4wd PT on very light snow on the road and it made some pretty bad noises when making tight turns. I learned pretty quick after that.

If you do have it in 4wd on pavement, don't turn at all. Especially tight turns. Yes, that will cause all sorts of noises and it's bad for the TC. Find a loose gravel road or mud if you want to try out the 4wd system.

Now if it starts making noises when you put it in 4wd and go straight, it could be the TC linkage. Mine did that once and just needed a little adjusting.
okay i'll make sure to check that out. Thank you
300zxnovaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #18
MemorEsto
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If it's while you're turning sounds like something to do with the hubs.

The bigger the stinger, the smaller the wiener
MemorEsto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 11:28 AM   #19
300zxnovaman
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemorEsto View Post
If it's while you're turning sounds like something to do with the hubs.
Thats what i was thinking. but after everyones ideas, i don't know witch thing to try first. i guess i'm going to have to take apart the front end anyway. I will make sure to post pics of what i find.
Unread 12-06-2010, 02:02 PM   #20
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hubs don't have anything to do with turning technically. They spin the same whether you are turning or straight. Check the u-joints in the front axle?

I still think it's the transfer case. Have you tried the 4wd on dirt yet? Or an otherwise very slippery surface?
Unread 12-06-2010, 02:17 PM   #21
MemorEsto
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If it were in the T case it would be constant wouldn't it

The bigger the stinger, the smaller the wiener
MemorEsto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #22
300zxnovaman
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
Hubs don't have anything to do with turning technically. They spin the same whether you are turning or straight. Check the u-joints in the front axle?

I still think it's the transfer case. Have you tried the 4wd on dirt yet? Or an otherwise very slippery surface?
I tried it in gravel and it's not as bad but my steering is still weird when i turn. and the noise is still there. just not as bad.

I also held the lever while it was in 4WD and i didn't feel anything funny in the handle.
Unread 12-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #23
the_weirdo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminsjeep24 View Post
I dont get how a grinding is normal....its not normal, even if on pavement in 4wd...
My point wasn't that grinding was normal. My point was that if he was testing out 4wd on pavement that its very tough to tell what noises are due to binding up and what is due to grinding. That's why I said that if he gets the grinding issue when on a dirt surface that it could very well be a u-joint.
the_weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #24
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zxnovaman View Post
I tried it in gravel and it's not as bad but my steering is still weird when i turn. and the noise is still there. just not as bad.
Well, really tight turns in 4wd aren't gonna be smooth. U-joints make sure of that. Sounds like you need some RCV's

Tags
4x4 , cherokee , dana 30 , grinding , lift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.