I can't get my belt off......... read everything - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > I can't get my belt off......... read everything

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
bfh_american
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I can't get my belt off......... read everything

Ok guys, I can't get my belt off to save my life. I've loosened everything, the nuts on the front of the power steering pump, the one on the back, and the adjustment nut below the pump, facing the air box. It won't budge. Maybe I'm missing something, but every write up is telling me the same thing, and nothing is working. I'm in the process of changing the water pump, and I just want to move the belt out of the way so I can get a clear shot. I must of watched youtube videos and read tutorials all day. but I just can't seem to get it to come off. Any advice would help, and I've searched the forums all day, and nothing is working. Thanks guys.

1992 XJ 4.0 H/O

bfh_american is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
Finallyajeep
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I think this picture applies to your year XJ.
serpbelt2.jpg

FOR SALE PM me if interested!
C-rok outer steering box brace new, never installed. Also have an XJ trailer hitch for sale, needs some paint, but thats about it.
Finallyajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
nakosd

the pic above is as simple as it gets. although some models have E-fans that have to be pulled up and out of the way to get to that first bolt
nakosd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
bfh_american
1992 XJ Cherokee 

The only adjuster pulley i have that looks close to that is on the left side of the truck, if you're facing it head on. And it's in a ****ty location by the main fan. Is that it?
Unread 09-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You guys are giving him INCORRECT information for a 1992 XJ with a 4.0

The PS pump PIVOTS to tension the belt on that model year. You must loosen 2 (maybe only one, I am doing this from memory) bolts on the front of the pump, and two (for sure on this number) on the back.

Then there is a jackscrew that faces towards the air filter box that can be turned to move the pump in/out to tension the belt. Then retighten all bolts to hold the pump in place.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!

For Sale to Good Home---2000 XJ Factory Service Manual (Printed Version) PM for details.
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
Finallyajeep
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry, disregard the picture

FOR SALE PM me if interested!
C-rok outer steering box brace new, never installed. Also have an XJ trailer hitch for sale, needs some paint, but thats about it.
Finallyajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
bfh_american
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff View Post
You guys are giving him INCORRECT information for a 1992 XJ with a 4.0

The PS pump PIVOTS to tension the belt on that model year. You must loosen 2 (maybe only one, I am doing this from memory) bolts on the front of the pump, and two (for sure on this number) on the back.

Then there is a jackscrew that faces towards the air filter box that can be turned to move the pump in/out to tension the belt. Then retighten all bolts to hold the pump in place.

yes! You're right, i loosened the 2 on the front, but i only have one on the back of the pump? I triple checked, i definitely only have one on the back. I loosened the jack screw as well. There has to be one more bolt that i'm missing, and i guarantee you that there is only one on the back of my pump. Any suggestions? Dude I've been out there all day, my pump is loose, but my belt wont budge.
Unread 09-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Just had to take mine off. 4 capscrews to loosen/remove PLUS the jack screw. 2 capscrews on the back side, top and bottom of the pump housing, one bolt at the top front and the nut that locks the tensioner jackscrew at the bottom front. There are 2 more on the bkt for the tensioner that come in from the bottom and secure the steel tensioner bkt to the aluminum mega bkt. The mega bkt bolts to the intake and one of the ears on the w/p. Remove the e fan for better access, two 10-32? maybe, screws at the top, unplug the fan and lift up.
Unread 09-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #9
bfh_american
1992 XJ Cherokee 

How far down is the 2nd screw on the back side of the PS pump? I got one on the top right, but the 2nd is no where to be found.
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #10
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

You can lay under the truck and look up to see it or, take the e-fan out and you'll be able to go from the front under the pump. The bkt for the tensioner jackscrew needs to come off with the pump. It is tight in there, I am replacing the radiator too, so I had that out before I removed the P/S pump.
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #11
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

The tensioner is useless on a 92. Just pull the top bracket bolt on the ps pump and you can move the whole pump left to pull the belt off.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
bfh_american
1992 XJ Cherokee 

dude idk wtf is up. I loosened all the bolts on this heap, i had the tensioner jack screw in my hand and it's still tight. i can't even budge it. I only have one screw on the back of the ps pump, apparently whoever had it before me didn't reinstall it. IDK, but i cant get to the waterpump with the belt still on. I'm getting so aggravated.
Unread 10-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #13
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

You shouldn't need to remove anything but the circled bolt. Once you do the entire power steering pump should pull over to the left and you should be able to move it by hand. Prybar gently between the PS pump and where you pulled that bolt out should be enough to line it up when you put it back together. Done it three times this year myself this way.

If you need to adjust after with the tensioner to get rid of any squeeling it's MUCH easier to get to by just removing the air box but it's a major pain in the *** to get the belt on and off by actually using the tensioner. Unless mine is somehow different this way works, I've done it three times this year. Replaced the belt the first time, took it loose to do a tstat the second time, and had a pulley come apart the third time.
forumrunner_20120818_201753.jpg

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I've had my belt off and on 6 times in the last month. Look UNDER (as in beneath) the belt in the front. The bolt that holds the pivot on the adjuster is there. You can loosen the adjuster all the way out, but if you don't loosen that one, it wont move.

The top bolt. The two pivot bolts, front & back, the LOWER REAR pivot bolt, the adjuster bolt, the adjuster LOCK bolt

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.