I believe my MJ has been converted from 2WD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > I believe my MJ has been converted from 2WD

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 11-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
hollywood_35
1990 MJ Comanche 

I believe my MJ has been converted from 2WD

So, I posted a thread awhile back about my strange looking lower control arm mounts. After digging around replacing front end components and hunting down the cause of my misfiring (sigh) I have found some terrible workmanship.

Take a look below, it seems someone has added components from another vehicle to make this front end. The thing that scares me (as both a welder and and engineer) is the weld quality. If the weld quality is any indication of the effort put into this "conversion", I have my hands full. The only explanation I can think of is that this 1990 MJ started it's life as a 2WD and someone has converted it to 4x4 by adding the necessary hardware. Unfortunately, I'm new to the platform and I'm not certain how things should look. So, let me know what you think.

Here you can see the spring spacer, which has been somewhat stitch welded in place, and the shock mount, welded perfectly

Again, the shock mount

Behind the spring spacer, you can see this lovely stud has been welded in place. Upon inspection, it's for the motor mount. Great.

Bear with me on this one, it's the passenger side motor mount. You can see the one bolt coming through the fenderwell (directly to the right of oil filter) with nothing attached to it. So... not sure what to think about that.

Same on the driver's side. Directly center of the EGR, to the left you can see a bolt that was obviously put there, doing nothing.

Again, just showing the welds on the control arm mounts.

This doesn't really bother me, oddly enough it actually makes me feel better. knowing that whatever I'm going to do with this MJ in the future, I'm not cutting up some pristine and rare truck. Being in Canada these trucks are almost non-existent, I'm always getting stopped and asked what kind of truck it is. Pretty cool to be honest.

hollywood_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

While the XJ/MJ unibody construction is not pretty, it is functional and strong. A 4wd conversion is 100% bolt on, all the brackets and bolt holes are pre-existing. Your MJ is normal. The open studs and extra holes are for locating/indexing sub-assemblies and sheet metal during assembly. Snotty looking welds are also common.

The stacked coil spring spacers are kinda Bubbafied, but that's an easy fix.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Ya, I wouldn't use your professional opinion to build the mj. Just assume that engineers of the past had good ideas. otherwise you'll end up like my first xj which is now re-unibodied. I used 2x4 .188 to make a frame front to rear. Tied in sliders/boatside and will be adding a cage and such to support my new drivetrain.

These are pretty well built for a bunch of sheet metal. I beat mine for a long time before I did all this nonsense. If you truly flog it regularly get some frame stiffening. Otherwise run it!
Unread 11-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
hollywood_35
1990 MJ Comanche 

Oh dang! That kind of worries me in the sense that these welds are production. But also awesome in the fact that they're seriously just built without all the technology of today's vehicles. I think that's one of the reasons I enjoy it so much.

Side note, realized my engine mounts are almost non-existent. I saw someone mentioned some good ones in a thread a few days ago but the name is escaping me. Thoughts?
Unread 11-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Brown Dog
Unread 11-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

x2 on Brown Dogs

If you can put your VIN in here or request a build sheet based off it from Chrysler to find out if it was 2wd. 4wd swaps were pretty common and like others said, they're entirely bolt on, no fabrication is required.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/vindecoder.php

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
hollywood_35
1990 MJ Comanche 

Turns out it was built as a 4wd. Interesting tidbit though, it says the truck came with a 89 litre fuel tank. I have never once put more than 60 into in. And that was reading very empty on the gauge. I imagine the gauge must be off, meaning I've been fueling up at 1/3 of a tank when it's reading bone dry.
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

I agree the brown dog mount is popular, but if you are a welder and or engineer I would build some. Easy to make, materials and poly bushings are cheap. And you could give a little engine lift to raise the drive train and achieve the flat belly if you plan on wheeling it some.
Unread 11-07-2013, 02:16 AM   #9
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_35 View Post
So, I posted a thread awhile back about my strange looking lower control arm mounts. After digging around replacing front end components and hunting down the cause of my misfiring (sigh) I have found some terrible workmanship.

Take a look below, it seems someone has added components from another vehicle to make this front end. The thing that scares me (as both a welder and and engineer) is the weld quality.
If you look at any XJ, MJ or ZJ, you will notice they all look just as crappy regarding the welds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
While the XJ/MJ unibody construction is not pretty, it is functional and strong.
It sure is functional, but as a more heavily used wheeling platform on harder trails it is not exactly strong unless frame stiffeners and a cage is added. On mild-to-medium built XJs the unibody does its job fairly well with properly tied-in front & rear bumpers etc., but on the harder stuff these Jeeps start to fall apart within a couple months of wheeling It is not uncommon to find multiple cracks and spot-weld separated.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #10
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_35 View Post
Turns out it was built as a 4wd. Interesting tidbit though, it says the truck came with a 89 litre fuel tank. I have never once put more than 60 into in. And that was reading very empty on the gauge. I imagine the gauge must be off, meaning I've been fueling up at 1/3 of a tank when it's reading bone dry.
Or you could have 20 litres of sludge and dissolved liner in there! Might be worth dropping just to change the filters.
Unread 11-09-2013, 01:06 AM   #11
hollywood_35
1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrail View Post
I agree the brown dog mount is popular, but if you are a welder and or engineer I would build some. Easy to make, materials and poly bushings are cheap. And you could give a little engine lift to raise the drive train and achieve the flat belly if you plan on wheeling it some.
Unfortunately being in school for engineering at the moment has taken me away from my shop. I have a few hand tools and a non-heated garage with a severely busted up floor; being -30 most of the winter makes that... suck. My welders and all the goods are taking residence in my parent's garage 6 hours away until I'm done this degree. The woes of being a student I guess.
Unread 11-09-2013, 01:09 AM   #12
hollywood_35
1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Or you could have 20 litres of sludge and dissolved liner in there! Might be worth dropping just to change the filters.
I was at 1/8 of a tank and topped it up yesterday. Took 50 liters. That doesn't make a lot of sense. What type of filters do they have? Just a sock-style over the pump?
Unread 11-09-2013, 04:34 AM   #13
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
There's a small mesh filter on the intake, and an inline filter outside of the tank on the drivers' side uniframe rail.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #14
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

The gauges on these aren't all that accurate either. Plus gas gauges tell you you have less than you actually do by design to keep you from running out of gas.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.