Hum/Drone/Vibe above 35 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Hum/Drone/Vibe above 35

50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 01-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
squirlgod
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Hum/Drone/Vibe above 35

Alright so I has some exhaust damage that was causing all kinds of drones and vibes, but I just got that all fixed yesterday and now I still have a slight hum/vibe above about 35. It gets louder the faster I go and It even happens when I'm in neutral and slowing down. I can feel it in the steering wheel and the floor and everything. The main reason for my concern is that its not just a noise....its definitely caused by something vibrating. I have a 3 inch lift and a TC drop and have never had this kind of issue until recently. After researching all I can find is people talking about pinion and driveshaft angles etc but like I said this happens regardless of engine activity and is directly related to speed. Could it just be a wheel out of balance? wheel bearing? any ideas on where to start? thanks

Unread 01-17-2014, 12:37 AM   #2
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Did anything traumatic happen prior to the vibration appearing, or did you make any hardware changes?
Have you tried rotating the tires to see if the symptom changes?
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #3
squirlgod
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well to be honest the jeep was stolen and driven to California before i got it back...so I'd say that was traumatic haha. Like I said it had exhaust hanger damage which was causing the exhaust to touch the body in some places but I just got it back from a muffler shop and they did a great job it looks like new. I'm thinking I'm going to rotate the tires and see if anything changes. The thieves didnt take any parts off the jeep and I went over everything when I got it back pretty closely. It really just looks like they just used it as transport. I think the exhaust damage might have even happened when it was getting shipped back so it would make sense that whatever is causing this is caused by typical wear. At least thats what I'm leaning towards
Unread 01-18-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Um, yeah...

Is the steering wheel moving back and forth, or do you just feel vibrations through it?
Do the drive shafts look straight? Any scrapes? Looseness in the U-joints?
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 12:12 AM   #5
squirlgod
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'd say I just feel vibrations through it. The driveshafts look alright but I'll double check with a closer eye and give the u joints a good tug to see if theres anything going on there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.