Hugger Orange 88 XJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Hugger Orange 88 XJ Build

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
Miller_TimeII
2007 JK Wrangler 

Hugger Orange 88 XJ Build

Hugger Orange 88 XJ Build

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish I had have done this for my yj, To start its not orange yet, just tracking some progress and hoping to get some help along the way. Picked it up for $800, came with 31's, cb, tow pack, sunroof, 3.5" rough country I am assuming. I was a little late on pics already got started on the tear down.

Initial tear down.

removed the sunroof, water was coming in through the roof racks and I want to seal the s**t out of it.

Started to take the front fenders to patch up what I thought was a couple little paint bubbles and found a cess pool of 23 years of dirt, salt and water.

And it looks worse without the plastic liner in the wheel well.

All rust and bad metal cut out and new ones patched in

Since i will be moving up to 33's I cut out basically to the top of the bends in the original body panel, raising the flairs about 2"

And then tried a mock up fit, found out that theres still some more trimming for the from and then planning on cutting and folding the back

And while I was rummaging around cleaning out the interior I ran across this

All I have read says that they only had lsd's in the d44's from 87-89 I haven"t checked the rear diff yet but i hope so

Going to clean up the other side and then sand down and start the paint.

Miller_TimeII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

my 90 has that same tag in the glove box. all it means is that you have a limited slip rear differential. nothing special really, unless it is a D44 of course.

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I would fold the rear tab circled in red over with a hammer before painting and cut the front part along the red line like the 97-up models if it were me.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
Drmudgood
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Seems like a good find for 800 bucks. Looks like theres a good bit of rot, but who cares? Cut it out, weld in some steel and your off to the races. I like that about these rigs. They certainly aernt perfect, but with a little fab skills and some free time on the weekends you can make something personal and fun and affordable.

Im looking forward to seeing it done as I am playing with the idea of painting mine orange as well. Im thinking a color similar to the General Lee, with bright white rims and a black winch bumper with a little stinger. Maybe redo all the factory stickers to give it a finished look.

Best of luck with the build, I'll be following.

cheers.
Drmudgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
Miller_TimeII
2007 JK Wrangler 

Will for sure be cutting the front fender along the line and starting the folding as soon as some space clears up in the garage, I will be moving my winch over from my yj and have a couple ideas for bumpers but i will post some pics with some progress
Unread 02-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
Miller_TimeII
2007 JK Wrangler 

Just got in and thought i would throw in an update Finished cutting and folding the front fenders

This definitely tucks them in a lot nicer, at full steering doesn't touch, it might while flexing, but the tires that are going on are 12.5" on a 15x10 with 4.5" backspacing so I am hoping this relieves any future rubbing issues.
I also have a couple ideas for my front bumper, I want to clone my step dad's design, but make a couple changes

other than that just sanded, sanded and then sanded some more. Also a quick question for any paint/body experts, If there was some sun damage on the paint which resulted in the clear coat peeling off, (which has been sanded down) My question is there are specs that are clearly faded, if the clear coat is not compromised after sanding with 400 is there a possibility that they could damage the new top coat. I plan on doing at least two coats plus a candy clear coat.
Unread 02-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Subcribed.

Are you a painter by profession?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #8
Miller_TimeII
2007 JK Wrangler 

Heck no, apprenticing electrician, have the guns and all the tools, just want to go out on a limb and take a step or two above the rattle can
Unread 02-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Well please keep up on the write up, im buying a gun soon because my roll on isnt working out.

Using Mopar paint??
Quote:
Unread 02-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #10
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Looking great so far, keep us updated.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
Miller_TimeII
2007 JK Wrangler 

Its Dupont, Duplicolour premixed just a pour and spray
Unread 02-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #12
Miller_TimeII
2007 JK Wrangler 

Finally got An update sorry it's taken a while had to get the yj into respectable condition before my rear bumper goes through the windshield of someone behind me.

sanded and primed filled all the timy blemishes with glazing putty

got the sunroof remounted with the aid of some broomsticks and good ol PL400 construction adhesive

first light coat of orange down, can honestly say I was a little skeptical opf how good the coverage would be

AND BAMM 3 colour coat and 2 candy coats later you end up with this

Still have to take some pics of it out of the garage and with the roof completely put back together.
All that is left before she is on the road is a good all around tune up, and replacing the headliner.
definitely going to be making a basket for the roof and if anyone knows if the torque averter's in the bellhousing have a possibility of coming loose. it has a knocking sound coming from around that area.

R.I.P. 1992 XJ laredo 4.5" RC AAL, JKS discos, 33x10.5" BFG MT, Magnaflow 40, 1" TBS with a Blue Lightning Chip, Safari Rack, Dirtbound Offroad Extreme Winch Bumper, Azzy's Custom Guage Metric #1st Edition.
1992 xj Build:
Unread 02-28-2011, 10:41 PM   #13
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Thats a beautiful shade of red! Keep us updated on how she polishes out.
Quote:
Unread 03-01-2011, 07:22 AM   #14
NxtGenCowboy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good..

What did you use to prep?
Doetsch Tech 8000 Shocks
Hack N Tap
Ford 19lb EV6 Injectors
C8.25 Axle Swap
MonstaLiner Interior
Everything Else Stock
[/CENTER]
NxtGenCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.