Hp rebuild issuse. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Hp rebuild issuse.

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 07-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
MStaffin
1997 ZJ 

Hp rebuild issuse.

Ok so I got everything down in my hp30 build. Im stuck on pinion bearing preload. I started with the org stack of .070 which was too tight. Where should I got next .080 or .073? My patteren is fine. And backlash is .006
Need some thoughts

Unread 07-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Are you talking about pinion bearing preload, or pinion depth? The preload has nothing to do with ring gear pattern or backlash. You set the pinion depth by adjusting the shims under the inner bearing, and adjust the bearing preload by adjusting the shims under the outer bearing.

You said .070 was too tight. Ok, then go with .072, torque the pinion nut to 200-220 ft/lbs, and check that the torque required to turn the pinion is between 20-40 in/lbs with new bearings (10-20 in/lbs with old bearings.) Obviously, this is without the seal installed. If it's still too tight, put in .074 shim and try again. Once you have the rotational torque correct, remove the nut and yoke, install the seal, yoke and nut and torque to spec.

And just to make sure... you adjust the pinion depth, ring gear preload and backlash first. The pinion bearing preload adjustment is the last step.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.