How to use 4X4? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > How to use 4X4?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-13-2008, 12:39 AM   #1
deaf_xj

How to use 4X4?

hello, i am new here and i have a 91 jeep cherokee 4x4.

i want to know how to drive a 4x4???

i know i have 2L, 4H, N 2H but i dont know how to use it, so can any one explain to me or tell me about it please??

deaf_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2008, 12:45 AM   #2
Goobersbro

its pretty simple

uhm so yea your 2h is what your in whenver your driving, the 4h is for driving at highway speeds but in 4 wheel drive so lets say its snowing and your driving on the interstate that would be the best time to use it, 4L is 4 wheel drive with low gears so if your off on a trail and meet a tuff obstacle or if your trying to pull a friend out of a mud whole you would use your 4 low and N is Neutral this is my best shot at trying to exlplain it to ya hope it helps
Unread 11-13-2008, 12:51 AM   #3
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

well by 2L i assume you mean 4L. since you have just one 4H option, that means you have the NP 231 transfer case (the NP 242 also had a full time option in 4H). its a very good transfer case and common in most jeeps. it is shift on the fly which means you can shift in and out of 4H while driving, preferably under 55. but while in 4WD, you cannot drive on streets or paved surfaces since the front and rear driveshafts spin the same speed, causing the transfer case to bind when turning. so only use 4WD on dirt or other low traction situations. to shift in and out of 4L, you should be moving about 2-3 MPH but not any faster and not stopped. 4L gives most traction and torque when needed most like when climbing steep hills, rock crawling etc. N is used when towing

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.

Last edited by 1990JEEPXJ; 11-13-2008 at 01:29 AM..
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2008, 01:06 AM   #4
olds442
1999 XJ Cherokee 

having 4L,why would that mean its the 231?(if thats what you meant) obviously it is but not because of the 4L, the 242 also has low, but also a part time and full time position. So yes its the 231. You can be stopped when putting it into 4Low just make sure your transmission is in N, if it wont go in the yes let it roll a little bit while trying, should do the trick. But what he said was true, the part time on the 231 should really only be used on low traction surfaces. If you want a TC that you can drive around on the street, you'll want the np242

*another thing is you cant rely on the shift plate, mine came with the 242 plate but with the 231 tc from factory.
VT

Last edited by olds442; 11-13-2008 at 01:26 AM..
olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2008, 01:17 AM   #5
Goobersbro

uhm

i want to point out the fact while we are at it that he lives in hunnington beach CA so the only time he would ever be using the 4 wheel drive and driving on the road would be like for instance if he was driving to the ski resort and while he was up on the summit it started snowing in this instance you would be fine to drive on the street and use your 4 hi its just when making sharp turns that it will make you skip and jump I live an hour and a half away from tahoe and drive up to the ski resorts all the time and dont have any issues with my 4 high when i m driving on I80 now if you lived in tahoe and you were using it to drive around in town as a DD then you might want to consider changing your TC
Unread 11-13-2008, 01:27 AM   #6
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiggyWizard View Post
having 4L,why would that mean its the 231?(if thats what you meant) obviously it is but not because of the 4L, the 242 also has low, but also a part time and full time position. So yes its the 231.
yeah i did word it so it seems like that didnt i, consider it fixed for clarity

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
deaf_xj

ok i got it and thanks guys, also which gear should i used if i driving into a hole of mud?
deaf_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2008, 08:42 PM   #8
olds442
1999 XJ Cherokee 

mud you say? you want 4LO, get that extra torque to keep the wheels moving and keeps the tires spinning to clear out the mud. Put it to the floor and hold on
VT
olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2008, 10:26 PM   #9
collkid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaf_xj View Post
ok i got it and thanks guys, also which gear should i used if i driving into a hole of mud?
Is this your first car?

I'd say stay away from Mud, They cause TONS of problems...
Colorado Member #89
collkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2008, 10:39 PM   #10
bikedude189
1993 XJ Cherokee 

1) engage
2) romp
2" LIFT
BFG A/T'S
bikedude189 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2008, 02:24 AM   #11
xlr84fun
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ya..... its probly best if you stayed away from mud. i like it and don't just cuz the fact it gets every where and is hard to clean, also it tends to make things go wrong and really fast. just keep in mind if your driving somewhere and you think you might slide off the road cuz its slippery then engage. and dont go over 55 in 4 high and dont go over like 35 in 4 low.
xlr84fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2008, 02:29 AM   #12
Inavacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr84fun View Post
dont go over like 35 in 4 low.
35? Really? I'm not saying you're wrong, I've just never heard that. I don't think I'd go faster than 15 or 20.
Make an offer on anything you're interested in.
Inavacuum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2008, 03:21 AM   #13
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Fastest I've gone in 4 low has been about 3. That was on the beach because the gearing is crap until I can afford to change them.
Unread 11-14-2008, 03:36 AM   #14
Inavacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawler510 View Post
Fastest I've gone in 4 low has been about 3.
aha, yea usually if I'm in 4-lo I'm just kinda creeping..idling even. Heavy throttle in 4-lo is dangerous
Make an offer on anything you're interested in.
Inavacuum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2008, 08:23 PM   #15
Goobersbro

yea

Yea i had a "really smart friend" that tried to pull another kid home and he stayed in 4 low. While he was driving the vehicle caught on fire lol he blew something and because of the heat and a liquid phoooosh it was on fire!!!!! still fun to make fun of him for being such an idiot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.