how to stop dry rot? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > how to stop dry rot?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippMagnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 08-21-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
Dannn
1998 TJ Wrangler 

how to stop dry rot?

I got a free set of goodyear wrangler at/d 2 tires from my dad they only had 1000 miles on them and sat on an impounded explorer for 8-9 months. they ahve some very minor dry rot and i'd like to stop it... anything i can do?

Unread 08-21-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
itasor
2009 JK Wrangler 

Check the date on the inside of the tires after the DOT numbers. If they are >6 years old, don't use them, they could be dangerous. I don't think there is a way to stop dry rot.
itasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
Dannn
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i'll check tomorrow but i don't think the atd2's were out 6 years ago and thats what i have... i'll check tomorrow for sure when its light outside.
Unread 08-21-2008, 09:18 PM   #4
That1guy
2007 WK 

do you know how to read the date? It gives the week it was made and what year the week was in.
Unread 08-21-2008, 09:26 PM   #5
Dannn
1998 TJ Wrangler 

yeah i can probably figure it out but that should help.
Unread 08-21-2008, 10:14 PM   #6
GreenMeanie
1998 XJ Cherokee 

you will something like tuw5 yat7 1108 the last numbers are the week then the year.
If they are not infalted and keep them off the ground the will not dry rot.
GreenMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2008, 12:14 AM   #7
blacky_j
1998 XJ Cherokee 

straight from the horses mouth
Quote:
The date of a tire's manufacturer is found on the rim, to the right of the product code. The date code is often found on the inward side of the tire, so if they are already installed on the vehicle, the person has to lie underneath the car with a flashlight to check the dates. The date is a four digit code WWYY, with WW denoting the week (1-52) and YY denoting the year.
Unread 08-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
Carnutzzz

The only way to stop, or at least slow dry rot is to drive on them.
Carnutzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2008, 09:50 AM   #9
oldmanriver
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnutzzz View Post
Er, how does that work out?

I was under the impression if they are dryrotting then theres not really much you can do about it..

Sounds like theyre running low on electrolytes, I'd soak them in gatorade

'90 xj: Wrecked, waiting for the day it can become a full blown trail rig.

'00 wj SOLD (still in family)
oldmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2008, 10:24 AM   #10
Carnutzzz

Tires contain compounds to combat tire rot. While driving, these compounds slowly make their way to the outside surface of the tire, thus "nourishing" it.

If not used, the tire's outside surface is subjected to ozone and other elements which dry out this layer.
Carnutzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2008, 03:36 PM   #11
GreenMeanie
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Not ture at all.. I store well over 1300 tires, about 200 of them are discontinued and some up to 4-5 years old. Thes will not rot unless there is 1)air.. 2) ground contact.

Air- This is one of the reasons for the auto dealers move to nitro filled tires, it keeps them from roting while on the lot like "Good for a Year"s are so known to do........

Again, like I said, if they are not mounted order a tire bag or a rack..

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...orage_rack.jsp

or get 4 bags and hanging them..

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/..._tire_tote.jsp

I may be new here, but I have been in the tire business for over 10 years... soo....
Unread 08-22-2008, 09:19 PM   #12
HeepToJeep
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Tires contain compounds to combat tire rot. While driving, these compounds slowly make their way to the outside surface of the tire, thus "nourishing" it.

If not used, the tire's outside surface is subjected to ozone and other elements which dry out this layer.
Centrifugal force moves molecules through solid material? Are you sure?

Wm
HeepToJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2008, 10:15 PM   #13
Slowride63
XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I too am in the tire business, and there is truth in what Carnutzzz is saying. Once dry rot has started it cannot be stopped, but it can be slowed as mentioned. The following quote was taken directly from www.tireindustry.org, something GreenMeanie should be familliar with.

"Tire manufacturers add a wax-based protectant that helps to protect the tire against ozone, which will cause the tire to begin to crack and dry rot. This wax protectant is forced to the surface every time a tire is flexed as it rolls"....

Ozone and UV rays are the two main causes of dry rot, and this wax protectant slows the rot to an acceptable level. Using protectants containing silicone or petroleum products dissolves this wax and actually accelerates dry rot, so think about that the next time you put Armor All on your tires.
[COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club #364[/COLOR]
[COLOR="White"]Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club #101[/COLOR]
Slowride63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2008, 12:01 AM   #14
GreenMeanie
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowride63 View Post
I too am in the tire business, and there is truth in what Carnutzzz is saying. Once dry rot has started it cannot be stopped, but it can be slowed as mentioned. The following quote was taken directly from www.tireindustry.org, something GreenMeanie should be familliar with.

"Tire manufacturers add a wax-based protectant that helps to protect the tire against ozone, which will cause the tire to begin to crack and dry rot. This wax protectant is forced to the surface every time a tire is flexed as it rolls"....

Ozone and UV rays are the two main causes of dry rot, and this wax protectant slows the rot to an acceptable level. Using protectants containing silicone or petroleum products dissolves this wax and actually accelerates dry rot, so think about that the next time you put Armor All on your tires.
The wax is a coating on the tire that will start to break up the first time they are road on. When the tire flexes it breaks up the coating and air can get to the polymer, once this happens the rot has started. The wax is really on to keep it from roting while in storage.
Carbon black is also there to help fight rot, its also the reason tires are black as we know the rubber compounds are white before the carbon black is added.

People ask me all the time why we donít shine the tires in the show room...

Anyway, we all kinda jumped the gun though giving advice before we even know how old the tire are and if rot has even started. Witch if they have already been used its more than likely already started...
Unread 12-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #15
azvinnie
1948 CJ2A 

Silly idea... if UV causes dry rot, how about putting sun screen on them... it works on the plastic covering on motorcycle clutch cables... why not tires?
azvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.