How should I make my xj positrac? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > How should I make my xj positrac?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 04-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
Combsy09

How should I make my xj positrac?

I have a 98 xj with a Dana 35 rear. I took it trail riding and was very disappointed, so I got aussie lockers for it. They didn't last a whole day and went out on the way home from work yesterday. Not sure if they are just not functioning or if they broke. I was looking into putting a ford 9" in my jeep but I don't know what all I would have to do to just put it in or do I just throw it in and bolt it up and go? Please help!

Combsy09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
Tru2Chevy
Web Wheeler

1992 XJ Cherokee 

What are the aussie lockers doing that make you think they aren't working correctly? Did you get front and rear lockers, or just one? Do you know the difference between a posi (LSD - limited slip differential) and a locker?

- Justin

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
Combsy09

There not working at all. Put it in drive and it won't move. Only way I made it home was in 4hi. I know a little bit about posi and LSD and lockers but not every detail. I want both rear tires spinning when I'm on a trail. I've heard the ford 9 inch is one of the best ways to go but I don't know anythong about them. This is my daily driver but I like to go trail riding occasionally. I put the locker in the rear only
Unread 04-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
Tru2Chevy
Web Wheeler

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Did you install the locker yourself or have a shop do it? If you don't see anything obviously broken underneath (mainly the rear driveshaft), I would take it right back to whoever installed the locker and get it fixed. To have a failure next day while driving on the street would make me immediately assume that the install was done wrong.

Word to the wise though - don't go back screaming that they messed up your Jeep. Just show up, explain to them what happened and ask that they do you the courtesy of looking into the issue and making a repair (after explaining to you what went wrong).

- Justin

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
Combsy09

A buddy of mine has a shop and I went over there and had him do it. He has put lockers in before so trusted him to do it. I was watching him put it all together and when it was done I don't think it was right but the measurements and everything were right. Going to take it back to him and he is going to look at it. I didn't know if I should try to fix this problem or just get a better locked rear end all together. I just know I want good offload capability with a pretty low budget
Unread 04-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

What made u think it wasn't right? Google diffs and study up a bit. Basically, there's 3 types of diffs: open, limited slip and locking with the latter 2 being traction enhanced diffs. Positrac or positraction is a General Motors name for one of their versions of a limited slip diff. Here's a decent video showing how the different types of diffs perform. Forget that the video says G80, that's just another (one of many) brand names/versions.

Unread 04-12-2013, 04:27 AM   #7
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Positrac is the Chevrolet and General Motors brand of limited slip.

The generic name that applies to all brands is limited slip.

IME with an LJ, limited slip can be very hazardous on packed snow and ice.

A selectable locker is much better IMO.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 04:36 AM   #8
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combsy09 View Post
There not working at all. Put it in drive and it won't move. Only way I made it home was in 4hi. I know a little bit about posi and LSD and lockers but not every detail. I want both rear tires spinning when I'm on a trail. I've heard the ford 9 inch is one of the best ways to go but I don't know anythong about them. This is my daily driver but I like to go trail riding occasionally. I put the locker in the rear only
The problem you noted on the way home seems more related to the transfer case than the lockers. XJ transfer case linkages are known to be finicky particularly when seldom used. Fortunately it's pretty easy to access and verify functionality or persuade by hand.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Vote here for the November Cherokee Of The Month!!!
The Thanksgiving JF Membership Giveaway is here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I had good luck with ARB lockers in an LJ.

I am not familiar with Aussie lockers.
Unread 04-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Some drivers are very hazardous on packed snow ice. I'd much rather have the torque of 2 wheels being applied to the ground in either slick or dry conditions vs a one tire fire. If the driver is not willing to adjust driving conditions, there's the hazard.
Unread 04-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #11
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Don't know why it hasn't been said: did you break your Dana 35?

Tags
dana 35 , lockers , posi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.