How to Restore My Jeeps Paint Color - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > How to Restore My Jeeps Paint Color

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
gist901
2000 XJ Cherokee 

How to Restore My Jeeps Paint Color

Hello everybody,

I was wondering if anybody has any good ideas on how to restore a cars paint job. My White Jeep paint job is still going strong and it is not faded or peeling. I would describe the condition as being is stained with dirt. Worse in some areas than in others.

I was thinking maybe buffing her might do the trick, but I don't own a buffer and buffing sounds kinda of dangerous (You can really mess up the paint).

So are there any real good SIMPLE ways of helping to restore some of the color and remove some of this dirt of 10 years?

thanks

gist901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Dannn
1998 TJ Wrangler 

use a rubbing compound then a good wax.
Unread 04-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
cornbrizzle
1992 XJ Cherokee 

clay bar

http://www.mothersclaybar.com/

Brizzle

www.highsprings.com
cornbrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
baldeagle1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

agree with using clay bar. My jeep is also white and I used a kit which includes 2 clay bars. worked awsome
baldeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Rubbing compound will make your paint look brand new man, its awesome.
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #6
Carl48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Good old rubbing compound is fine but apply it by hand as a buffer could easily burn thru the paint on an edge or if you bear down too long or too hard. Your paint may look OK but 10 years out there having fun in the warm California sun has taken its toll...go easy. A clay bar would be less aggressive. Some guys use a liquid detailer with the clay bar. Mothers sells a kit with the bar, spray detailer, and carnauba wax. Also check out what Surf City Garage has to offer.
Carl48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
Good old rubbing compound is fine but apply it by hand as a buffer could easily burn thru the paint on an edge or if you bear down too long or too hard.
Agreed, don't use a power buffer.
Unread 04-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
gist901
2000 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for all of your response, guess I am going to be very busy on Saturday (also installing new Headlights, wiring harness).

FYI - this jeep has spent most of its life in NY, CT, and CO. Just moved out CA - I miss the snow
Unread 04-15-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gist901 View Post
I miss the snow
Your paint and underbody sure won't lol.
Unread 04-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
Jeepaddict
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark4883 View Post
Agreed, don't use a power buffer.
X2. I dunno but lately, I've seen a lot of cars drive by with, "sine wave", shaped burn lines left down the sides from buffers. They looked bad.
Jeepaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 10:50 PM   #11
jimbosz07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Do everything by hand, no power buffers. I would do clay bar first. If that doesn't get it out, you could do rubbing compund but remember if you do use that, then you have to use a fine cut cleaner and a polishing wax after to restore the smooth finish.

I've been detailing cars for a few years now. Believe me when I say the clay bar is your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Trucker_ View Post
RE sticker = 8% extra flex, RC sticker = 6.2% extra flex, T&T sticker = 10% extra flex ,ect,ect.
jimbosz07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 12:08 AM   #12
gist901
2000 XJ Cherokee 

after using the rubbing compound / clay ... do I have to rinse the car off before applying the wax?
Unread 04-16-2010, 12:13 AM   #13
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, use a good polishing compound (for safety's sake, make sure it's "Clearcoat Safe." I find that paste compounds work better,) and yes, go by hand (lots of rags, and you'll be awfully damned tired when you're done. Ever see "Karate Kid?" About like that.)

Use the clay bar on any spot that's discoloured enough that the polishing compound won't do anything.

And, yes, I said "Polishing Compound" on purpose. It's a much finer grit than a "Rubbing Compound," and therefore less likely to chew through the clearcoat or colour coat on your paint job (hey, I've seen it happen! Worked in a body shop for a while...)

After the compound and clay do their job, I like to take a handful of clean rags to rinse and very gently wipe the paint surface, to make sure to get any remaining grit/clay off.

Then, apply one (or several!) coats of a quality Carnauba paste wax. I like Mother's or Meguiar's.

No, I don't do this on my Jeep. But, it has helped my wife's Suzuki Verona...
Unread 04-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #14
gist901
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks 5-90, sounds like you know what you are doing.

I will give it a try in the next coming weeks
Unread 04-16-2010, 03:37 PM   #15
the6nightmares
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I agree with the clay-bar, I bought the Meguiars kit with the 2 bars, spray wax/cleaner, and cloth. I have always taken good care of my Jeep and it generally has a healthy coat of wax on it. Last summer I noticed some places that would feel rough again shortly after the waxing and so I tried the clay-bar. It worked great, smoothed out a lot of areas that I did not think would clean up too well. Certain areas, scratches and whatnot I have used a mild compound on with superior results. Top it off with a nice coat of wax and the 9 year old paint looks like new!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.