How to replace your idler pulley bearings. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > How to replace your idler pulley bearings.

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 12-12-2004, 05:54 PM   #1
Ishodu

How to replace your idler pulley bearings.

I did this on my 87 Comanche. Not sure if all jeeps would use the same bearings or not. I should have took pics when I did the job. But I hope this helps.

Procedure as requested.

What your going to need:
2 6203-2RS/C3 bearings
Access to a press
Piece of round rod 3/4" or so will work fine
A piece of pipe about 3-4" long and with an opening large enough that the bearings will fit inside.

Remove the pulleys first then on the press place the pipe on the bed. Place the pulley on the pipe so that its lined up so the bearing will fall in the pipe when pushed. Then put the rod in the middle of the bearing and push it will the press it will fall through.
To install take the new bearing and place it slightly in the hole. Take the old bearing and place it on top (centered). Now use the rod to push against the old bearing to push the new one in. Stop pressing it in when the bearing is in position. And your done.

Now I know another method that will work well an alternative to using a press.

You need:
2 6203-2RS/C3 bearings
Piece of pipe slightly larger than the bearings.
Hammer
Oven and a freezer.
Thick gloves

Remove the pulleys. Place the pipe on a sturdy surface and the pulley on top so that the bearings will fall inside the pipe. Pound them out with a hammer. Now take the bearings and place them in the freezer for about 1 hour. And at this time put the pulleys in the oven. (metal ones only) Heat the pulleys to about 250F. Now all you have to do is slip the new cold bearings in the hot pulleys use the gloves of course. You will have to be fast they will lock together quite fast. And your done.

Never hammer new bearings this will ruin them.

Also common sense is to check to make sure you have the right bearings by comparing them or looking at the #s.
You can also use bearing # 6203-2Z/C3 the difference is the seals. The 2RS are rubber seals. The 2Z is steel Shields. Both will work but the rubber seals are better.

Unread 12-12-2004, 08:51 PM   #2
halfmt1

thanks for the info. might come in handy later.

halfmt1
halfmt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2004, 09:01 AM   #3
jandj

you could have just replaced the hole thing. Not sure how much mine cost put it was not very much.

Look'n to purchase now
jandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2004, 09:53 AM   #4
ctavel
1997 TJ Wrangler 

A new idler pulley costs les than 20 bucks, so unless the bearing replacement was super cheap I suggest you just buy a new one....

Just my opinion
ctavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2004, 09:59 AM   #5
LJ_Cool
2006 LJ Wrangler 

you may be right about the cost.

But I think the point is that you can fix it your self, and here's how,

Likewise, one can fix the rusty dakota gas cap problem by disassembling and cleaning and painting the internal spring, rather than just buying a new gas cap.

have fun with your jeep
2006 TJ Unlimited (Midnight Blue #888)
75k- 2.5" lift, riding on 32's with terraflex rocker armor
LJ_Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2004, 11:19 AM   #6
homerscj7

idler pulleys can be hard to find sometimes, AutoZone, Advance and Pep Boyz do not carry them and it may take your Napa store a day or two to get it. I wish I could have just rebuilt mine when it went rather then searching for 2 days to find someone local that had one in stock.
Unread 12-13-2004, 01:14 PM   #7
Ishodu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctavel
A new idler pulley costs les than 20 bucks, so unless the bearing replacement was super cheap I suggest you just buy a new one....

Just my opinion
Both bearings cost me about 6 dollars. For 2 pulleys!

Last edited by Ishodu; 12-13-2004 at 04:39 PM..
Ishodu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2004, 01:53 PM   #8
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the write up, I appreciate it. I would love to do my own when mine go out just to say I did it. That and the bearings only being $6 doesn't hurt either. I will post a link to this thread in the Tech/FAQ.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2004, 02:12 PM   #9
jandj

to save $14 I'll probably just replace the bearings next time. Especially if I had to wait longer than 30 minutes for the pulley. THanks for the info...

Look'n to purchase now
jandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #10
102joe
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It seams that these bearings go bad allot does anyone know of a upgrade ? a heaver bearing ?
102joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #11
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102joe View Post
It seams that these bearings go bad allot does anyone know of a upgrade ? a heaver bearing ?
They go bad a lot because the NEWEST XJ is 9 years old. It's not surprising that a 9 year old vehicle would need an idler pulley replaced.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
102joe
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff View Post
They go bad a lot because the NEWEST XJ is 9 years old. It's not surprising that a 9 year old vehicle would need an idler pulley replaced.
well Jeff it is surprising that the aftermarket ones I replaced a year ago already went bad. The factory bearings ran about 13 years & 100,000 + miles. I think the problem is with the China or Taiwan bearings the after market manufactures use. So I am wondering if there is a alternative to going with the over priced OEM ones from Chrysler. Thanks for your input tho
102joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #13
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102joe View Post
Use a good quality bearing, like SKF, F A G, (the automatic censor doesn't like this bearing manufacturer's name) or Timken.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #14
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishodu View Post

What your going to need:
2 6203-2RS/C3 bearings
Are you sure that C3 clearance bearings are necessary for an idler pulley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishodu View Post
Not sure if all jeeps would use the same bearings or not.
They don't.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.