How To Replace Spark Plugs On 1996 Cherokee Sport? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > How To Replace Spark Plugs On 1996 Cherokee Sport?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Building a Bumper?

Unread 05-19-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
wick001
2000 WJ 

How To Replace Spark Plugs On 1996 Cherokee Sport?

The search function on these forums suck, i'm sure its been mentioned before.

Can someone tell me how to replace the spark plugs on my 1996 Cherokee Sport?

What brand is best?

wick001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
jetwrench
2000 XJ Cherokee 

are you serious? you dont know how to change the spark plugs
jetwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
XJNUTTIER
1998 XJ Cherokee 

remove the boot, and put socket on, turn counter clock wise til removed, regap new plug, I suggest bosch, and put back in clockwise, move hoses and use univerals accordingly...LOL it is not hard you can do it easily, and if all else fails remeber this for almost everything EXCEPT trailer lug nuts...Lefty Loosey, Righty Tightey...great rule of thumb.....trailers are threaded to only turn backwards so they dont loosen up...not really sure why cars are not like this the idea seems really sound?????anyone....
XJNUTTIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
danw77
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i have heard numerous stories of bosch plugs causing major headaches in cherokees. stay away from bosch and just run the cheap champions or autolites.
Unread 05-19-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
Snacks
Little buddy

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The search function on this forum does NOT suck, you do if you can't figure it out.

Go buy a Haynes.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/searc...archid=2237723

“I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion” Jack Kerouac

Last edited by Snacks; 05-19-2008 at 02:03 PM..
Snacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
XJNUTTIER
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danw77 View Post
i have heard numerous stories of bosch plugs causing major headaches in cherokees. stay away from bosch and just run the cheap champions or autolites.
platnium plugs from what i undersatnd can play with the knock sensors on newer vehicles, I usually just run the standard plugs....I have had no luck in the past with the champion plugs, or autolite for that fact, I would not put them in anything I own, unless I had no ther choice..but now the mower and so on run on the diamond electrode plugs, another way to get away from champion for me....
Unread 05-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
lost honda pro
1997 XJ Cherokee 

+another 12981982412 for the OE champion plugs. best performance i've found on this motor.
lost honda pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #8
Crystalship1
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJNUTTIER View Post
remove the boot, and put socket on, turn counter clock wise til removed, regap new plug, I suggest bosch, and put back in clockwise, move hoses and use univerals accordingly...LOL it is not hard you can do it easily, and if all else fails remeber this for almost everything EXCEPT trailer lug nuts...Lefty Loosey, Righty Tightey...great rule of thumb.....trailers are threaded to only turn backwards so they dont loosen up...not really sure why cars are not like this the idea seems really sound?????anyone....

(+1) EXCEPT for the plugs. Champion coppers or truck plugs are the most widely accepted and best over-all performing plugs in these engines. If XJNUTTIER has had good luck with the Bosch, good for him but he's lucky AND is in a small minority. Oh and yeah..... buy a service manual!!!!

1997 Gunmetal Blue XJ Sport - 4.0 L. I6 - 4 Dr. - 4x4 - 1.75" BB
Crystalship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 03:06 PM   #9
XJNUTTIER
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalship1 View Post
(+1) EXCEPT for the plugs. Champion coppers or truck plugs are the most widely accepted and best over-all performing plugs in these engines. If XJNUTTIER has had good luck with the Bosch, good for him but he's lucky AND is in a small minority. Oh and yeah..... buy a service manual!!!!

Rock on dude, LOL I had just such crappy luck when i was a teeneager, half my life a go now..LOL but they always used to foul and all in my 2 strokes, and then I found NGK, and I swore them off from there, LOL so I am not being fair to changes they may have made,, so I will confess that, but I have had very ggod luck witht em, and thanks for being cool and not trying to flame...., and that should be the first accessory for a Jeep, I like the service manual. More money but has everything you need and then some....
Unread 05-19-2008, 03:13 PM   #10
Crystalship1
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJNUTTIER View Post
Rock on dude, LOL I had just such crappy luck when i was a teeneager, half my life a go now..LOL but they always used to foul and all in my 2 strokes, and then I found NGK, and I swore them off from there, LOL so I am not being fair to changes they may have made,, so I will confess that, but I have had very ggod luck witht em, and thanks for being cool and not trying to flame...., and that should be the first accessory for a Jeep, I like the service manual. More money but has everything you need and then some....

1997 Gunmetal Blue XJ Sport - 4.0 L. I6 - 4 Dr. - 4x4 - 1.75" BB
Crystalship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #11
nujeepguy
1997 XJ Cherokee 

my xj is tuned too death. i used the platinum champion , ngk and bosch. I originally tried the platinum champion and spark knock. tried the ngk platinium plug....spark knock. tried bosch because another xj owner said they work perfectly. once again spark knock. the pinging would happen only at operating temp. and when i was at highway speeds and would go into passing gear. never ever beleived the old champion plugs would cure this but man it actually did. and i get great highway mpg.(22)
nujeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 03:31 PM   #12
XJNUTTIER
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nujeepguy View Post
my xj is tuned too death. i used the platinum champion , ngk and bosch. I originally tried the platinum champion and spark knock. tried the ngk platinium plug....spark knock. tried bosch because another xj owner said they work perfectly. once again spark knock. the pinging would happen only at operating temp. and when i was at highway speeds and would go into passing gear. never ever beleived the old champion plugs would cure this but man it actually did. and i get great highway mpg.(22)
I have to ask, are you referring to pinging, when you say spark knock?
Unread 05-19-2008, 04:31 PM   #13
slagburn

I only run NGK's anymore, they have never let me down.

As to the trailer comment, I've never heard of backwards lugnuts on all the wheels. Right hand thread won't loosen up on the right hand side, some have left hand thread on the left, but that's not really on topic.
Unread 05-19-2008, 05:36 PM   #14
XJNUTTIER
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slagburn View Post
I only run NGK's anymore, they have never let me down.

As to the trailer comment, I've never heard of backwards lugnuts on all the wheels. Right hand thread won't loosen up on the right hand side, some have left hand thread on the left, but that's not really on topic.
LOL its not, but i threw it out there, good useful trivia for anyone to have, I tried changing my first trailer tire adn was like WTF, and then i asked some one, adn was like DUH....I love the idea, does it really do anything, I am not sure on that, but I would think it would keep the lugs on tight.....but yeah way off subject..LOL
Unread 05-19-2008, 05:57 PM   #15
nujeepguy
1997 XJ Cherokee 

yeah actually i loosely interchanged the two . i meant pinging
nujeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.