Join Date: Oct 2007
Well i dont have much advice with the noise but i can help to remove the flexplate/flywheel (kinda the same thing but different between manuals and auto's).
1) pull spark plugs
2) rotate motor (with a wrench or similar) until you find one of the torque converter bolts. Loosen all 4 torque converter bolts.
3) Unbolt the exhaust at the header and remove the cross member. Support the trans with a jack. (This is a good time to replace the exhaust donut gasket)
4) lower the rear of the trans down and unbolt the top two trans bolts holding it to the engine. (E12 reverse torx bolts). Then raise the trans back up, support the engine and remove the rest of the bolts holding the trans to the engine.
5) remove the trans with the torque converter still attached to the trans. I usually just use a jack with some wood.
6) then you can remove the flexplate to inspect/replace it.
Project/DD - 95' Cherokee Sport, 2 Door, Converted to 4x4, AX-15, NP231, Black and lots of other goodies
88' Cherokee Limited - RIP
Sold - 96' Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2 Door, AW4, NP242, Its the girlfriends now!!