How to replace clock spring? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > How to replace clock spring?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-30-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
JeepstersLLC

How to replace clock spring?

Alright guys, this is my first post so hey to everyone and I hope you guys can help!

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport XJ and the air bag light is on and the horn doesn't work + cruise control is dead. After doing some research on the forums, it appears that we need to replace/fix the clock spring.

Now the big question...

How do you go about replacing the clock spring??? Is there a guide anywhere that gives detailed instructions on how to do this? We don't want the air bag going off or anything. So if anyone could be kind enough to give us a guide from their own experience or point us in the direction of a guide! Thanks much in advance!

JeepstersLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The Factory Service Manual ( FSM ) has the info you need. They can be purchased from Chrysler/Jeep, or they come up on eBay now and again.

To replace the clock spring you will need a steering wheel puller. It is very important to have the tires pointed straight ahead before you begin. Also you must disconnect both terminals of the battery, wait 30 minutes after you disconnect before you begin work, and leave them disconnected until you fully complete the work.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

Last edited by CJ7-Tim; 01-30-2008 at 05:52 PM..
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
JeepstersLLC

Awesome! Very very helpful thanks much!!

Secondly, I read that the connections can be resoldered from the ribbon to the connector, which fixes the clockspring. If that's the case, it would save me a 100$+ dollars rather than buying a new clock spring! Is this possible?

JeepstersLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
wassupjamesd
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My airbag light is on and horn doesn't work either. It was intermittent a few months ago. Sometimes would work. Sometimes wouldn't. Then stopped working and airbag light stayed on.

Is there any other issue it could be other than the clock spring?

1999 Cherokee Sport 4x4, RE 3.5" SF, SYE, DS, and Monotubes, Pro Comp adj track bar. Soft 8s wrapped in 31x10.5x15 Dik Cepek Mud Countrys, Silverstars w/ HD harness, Class III rear hitch, Yakima snowboard racks, cool sunroof. NP231, C8.25, and D30.

wassupjamesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 11:49 PM   #5
filluptrk
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The FSM is expensive, I have one. But I also got a good deal on one of those CDs on eBay and to be honest is is just the same as the FSM for a fraction of the price. You can look up what you want print what you need and go outside and fix it a lot easier than with that clunky manual. Phil
filluptrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.