How quickly will longer shackles prematurely compress leaf springs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > How quickly will longer shackles prematurely compress leaf springs?

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 12-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

How quickly will longer shackles prematurely compress leaf springs?

Running a crappy 4.5" Rough Country lift at the moment. And by crappy I mean it's using TJ control arms.

Anyway. I'll be buying a friend's set of 35"x12.5"x15" Mud Countrys off a friend's Ranger. I've trimmed the front pretty extensively (hopefully I'll go all out and have a welder friend help me cut out and re-sheet metal the inner wells for more steering flex clearance), and the rears very soon.

As a little Christmas present, I'm thinking of 2" shackles and 2" coil spacers, just to gain a little clearance a la:

http://www.twiztedengineering.com/se...herokee/Detail

and

(2.25" spacers)
4 Wheel Customs - 2.25" Jeep Coil Spring Spacers (pair)

or
(the 2" poly spacers at the bottom)
Cherokee ACOS, Adjustable Coil Spacer kit

Now, the important question. Will shackles that long prematurely compress my leaf packs to a sad state of sagginess quickly? They seem like a pretty good arch, but will the shackles kill them within a short amount of time or what?

Many thanks in advance.

OH, and extra question: will the 2.25" spacers or the 2" spacers more likely to keep the heep level when used in conjuction with 2" shackles?

Unread 12-01-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Shackles do not wear springs out.

If you have a lift and have HD springs you could run blocks and be ok, the stock spings are the ones that are flimsy.

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holder350 View Post
Shackles do not wear springs out.

If you have a lift and have HD springs you could run blocks and be ok, the stock spings are the ones that are flimsy.
I've heard from many sources that longer shackles will indeed cause leaf spring sag, I just don't know what that timeframe is...?

And you can bet your bottom dollar I'm not running blocks, though!
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmacc View Post
I've heard from many sources that longer shackles will indeed cause leaf spring sag, I just don't know what that timeframe is...?

And you can bet your bottom dollar I'm not running blocks, though!
How per se would that work? They allow a longer range of travel....but you are not changing the spring rate nor the weight on the spring.

And I dont blame you for not running blocks. I wont even use them on full size trucks.

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:48 PM   #5
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holder350 View Post
How per se would that work? They allow a longer range of travel....but you are not changing the spring rate nor the weight on the spring.

And I dont blame you for not running blocks. I wont even use them on full size trucks.
Hm. Sounds like I should do some research before I open my mouth.. figuratively speaking. I had assumed so because because of the nature of the length of the shackles increasing the angle, they would increase the vertical load on the edge of the leaf spring because the angle focuses the vehicle's mass downward onto the edges of the springs as opposed to spreading it both vertically and horizontally.
Perhaps I'm wrong, then!

Haha, yeah, if the last resort was to block it.. I'd just keep it as is. I have blocks on my full-size on 38"s, but the P.O. did that. Yuck..
Unread 12-01-2010, 11:54 PM   #6
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

do a shackle relocation braket in the rear and a 1.5 spacer up front....
the shackle relocation braket will boost you 1.5 in the rear and set your shackle at a better angle to get more drop from your springs
HD engineering makes a nice bracket

Most of all thanks too Ian Johnson and the xtreme off-road crew for all their work, and 4 wheel to heal for their part in it too.
egodfrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 03:50 AM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Longer shackles will sag the stock springs. Good quality lift kit springs will be fine with longer shackles.

Be sure to use longer bump stops, over compressing (inverting) any leaf spring will quickly ruin it.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.