How much more capable are 33s vs 31s? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > How much more capable are 33s vs 31s?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-06-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
djlarroc
1997 XJ Cherokee 

How much more capable are 33s vs 31s?

I need to buy new tires and am looking to go up in tire size. I'm at 3" and I see going to 33/34x10 is going to require a small fortune besides the tires.

Bigger lift
Fender trimming
Adjustable track bar
GEARING
New carrier
Maybe SYE

Is it worth it? I'm now looking at TSL bias 31x10 (31.3") vs LTB 34x10 (33.6"). Rolling diameter is a bit over 2", but clearance only improves a tad over 1".

Going to 34s is going to run me about $850-1000 more. Is it worth it to those who have done it? The 34s are only about $60 more total. Just all the extra stuff needed to run those.

'97 XJ Country, 3" hybrid, 245/75 MTR, TJ Moabs, Front Truetrac/Rear Aussie, 4:10 gears, skids, recovery.

Last edited by djlarroc; 10-06-2009 at 01:13 PM..
djlarroc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

you can run 33's on your current lift, thus eliminating the SYE as well. but at 3" you should get an adj. trackbar anyway. gearing and the parts for it are the majority of the cost.

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
Starboard M

Other then having 1'' more clearance at the diff, and possibly able to get over bigger obsticals, not much.

Is it worth it, depends what your ultimate goal with the Jeep is.

Boatsides/Hybrid Cage/Tube Dash== Custom Winch Bumper== Bolt in HP44
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
XJMuscle98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

What axles are you running?

"Approximately 80 percent of our air pollution stems from hydrocarbons released by vegetation, so let's not go overboard in setting and enforcing tough emission standards from man-made sources."
Ronald Reagan

My goal is to have 20 lights around my XJ.

Currently: 10
XJMuscle98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #5
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I see you are in Denver. In driving Colorado trails, every quarter inch counts. 33's are much more capable than 31's. I can do every line on every obstacle on the wheeler lake trail (except 1) with 33's. You can cut out half of those for 31's.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
djlarroc
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboard M View Post
Other then having 1'' more clearance at the diff, and possibly able to get over bigger obsticals, not much.

Is it worth it, depends what your ultimate goal with the Jeep is.
Thanks. Yeah, I know "is it worth it" is kind of a dumb question to ask, and really only I can decide. I am in CO, and there are alot of rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJMuscle98 View Post
What axles are you running?
Currently D30 and 27 sp 8.25. I was going to do the 8.8 w/4:10s and new R&P for front if I went w/34s. Lot's of work to be done to go to 34s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggybottombob View Post
I see you are in Denver. In driving Colorado trails, every quarter inch counts. 33's are much more capable than 31's. I can do every line on every obstacle on the wheeler lake trail (except 1) with 33's. You can cut out half of those for 31's.
I've heard that from a few different people. I have only been winched once, on chinaman. I got armor and good recovery points. I did spring creek w/no major troubles. Had to take a few bypasses though.

Just don't know if I should just go w/31s again and put a rear locker and w/the money I save do the x-flex arms and call it done. Or do I start this big project to run 34s. I know it's a personal choice, but am stuck about which way to go.
'97 XJ Country, 3" hybrid, 245/75 MTR, TJ Moabs, Front Truetrac/Rear Aussie, 4:10 gears, skids, recovery.
djlarroc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.