How many miles are too many for an xj? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > How many miles are too many for an xj?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 01-13-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
andrewp17

How many miles are too many for an xj?

Im selling my 04 gto and getting into something a little less expensive and a little more useful. My goat is making a little over 500hp and never goes over the speed limit so its pointless for me to have it really.

im looking at spending about 3000 for an xj and found that most in this price range have between 85k and 185k.

we had jeeps in the past and the 4.0 straight 6 as im sure you all know is bulletproof. but at what point do i start worrying about all the other things like the tranny, transfer case, axles etc? Ive been doing a lot of research and think i have a good idea, but i wanted to get input from the guys that live with their jeeps.

also, how do the manual trannies hold up compared to autos? i love driving manual and like the (usual) reliability and simple nature, but things can go wrong over time.

i plan on a mild lift, if the jeep doesnt already have it, and some 31 or 32s , mostly a street ride but some trails here and there and some beach riding in the summers.

mods, if this thread belongs in non tech, sorry, i couldnt decide.

thanks all

andrewp17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Not possible.
Unread 01-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
andrewp17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVApunkROCK View Post
Not possible.
but seriously
Unread 01-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
mhall02
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'll go, I have a 2000 Sport (see sig) purchaed new in 10/99 now with 150,000 miles. Overall, very reliable, but I have replaced the CPS, radiator, blower motor, and one AC evaporator coil (it was fixed under warranty). Outside of wear and tear items and maintenance fluids/filers, that has been it. Most troublesome feature for me, air conditioner, I think my compressor is now crapping out and its loosing a little freon as well. Everything else is still original (starter, alt., water pump, all u-joints, all sensors (with exception of the CPS) and relays). It has been babied, well maintained, unmodified, driven daily, and most importantly, paid for. Mainly a pavment queen in 2 wheel drive outside of a few fishing trips and snow storms per year. By the way, the AW-4 automatic transmission is rock solid if maintained, no rebuild, just fluid drained and refilled every 30,000 miles. Good luck finding a manual tranny in the 2000-2001 vintage, but if your looking at spending ~$3000, you may not find one that new in that price range.
mhall02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
limited
1988 XJ Cherokee 

There have been tons of threads on this topic. I would try to find the lowest mileage XJ, but then again I recently bought one with a little over 200k. I like to see how the previous owner treats it. That will let you know how sound the Jeep is. Oh yeah, definitely get one with a manual, waaaay more fun!
misc. zip-strip mods
limited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
CharlieMopps
1989 XJ Cherokee 

My 1989 had 220,000 on the odometer when the speedo stopped working. (I can fix it, just haven't yet)

I replaced all the u-joints, the balljoints, welded steel plates over the holes in the floor and bedlined it. Drives like new. Provided you know how to maintain your jeep there's no reason it should ever stop running. I've now fixed a lot of things that, prior to doing the work, seemed extremely daunting. But now that I've passed those issues I could re-do any of it with minimal effort. I plan on doing an axle swap this spring... and after that the only automotive thing I'll not have done is an engine swap. It's all easy with the internet and Jeepforum!
CharlieMopps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
andrewp17

im not so much worried about doing the work, just the price of parts and any down time really. i can do repairs and mods in my driveway or in the garage (with hydraulic lift). i built the motor in the gto and did all the other junk that had to go with it so my main concern is just any parts cost and downtime. but i suppose parts are all relatively cheap and easy to find for these bad boys being that they didnt change much for their entire lifecycle and have been around forever.

ive found a few actually with the 5 speed, and they are in the head of the pack just for the fun factor. although most of them are higher miles. 130-190k. but if the price is right, and obviously ive theyve been maintained, i guess those miles shouldnt scare me away right?

i drove my chevy silverado to well over 200k with NO problems aside from some squeeky ball joints etc.

i guess its time for some test rides.
Unread 01-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
BrunoS

150k + DD at this time.

only things done beyond normal filter/fluids/consumables /tires...is nothing.
Magnaflow Muffler / High-flo Cat / MSD Coil
BrunoS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2009, 06:15 PM   #9
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If you can find one with a blown engine,blown transmission,blown differentials and is rusted in half look at the odometer and tell us.

We had one with over 300k and wife drove it daily to work 75 mile round trip. It had a little chatter in 2nd or 3rd gear and the ac was out on it that is all it looked like was ever wrong with it. It failed us once because of a broken motor mount that allowed the engine to pull a wire off the ballast resister took a while to figure out and a second to fix at the road side.

Chris.
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2009, 07:05 PM   #10
bst123
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If the body is in good shape and the XJ has been taken care of I would not be afraid to buy one with up to 200k miles on it in fact I think it is silly to pay big money for a low milage XJ as they will all last 300k easily and if you get one with around 110k miles on it should cost between $3000 to $5000 and last another 200k miles. You will need to learn how to work on it but it will keep running that long. I bought mine with 95k on it almost two years ago and it runs as good as many new vechicles. I love it.
Unread 01-13-2009, 07:12 PM   #11
wallerbiskit
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mine turned 200k the day I drove it home. To date i've only had to replace the front axle ujoints, blower resistor, blower motor, and did a quick fix on the fan control switch. I only gave 1400.00, and still feel like I got a good deal so far...Everything works great!
wallerbiskit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2009, 07:12 PM   #12
Tager705
1983 CJ7 

I have a 89 XJ it has just over 300k on it, still on the orginal transfer case axles and automatic tranny.

However the orginal motor grenaded at 269K the oil pan seriously looked like a over cooked hot dog. But it still got me another 20 miles so I could call a tow truck.

I replaced the motor and its been running like a champ until last month when the starter went out.

but my experance with high milage 4.0 has been it leaks oil, constantly and there is nothing short of a rebuild that will stop it. So ideally get as low as miles as you can get and if the guy says the 4.0 doesn't leak oil its because its out.
Tager705 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2009, 09:56 PM   #13
cleighton
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I have a 92 with 292k just a little cold natured
cleighton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2009, 10:08 PM   #14
blacky_j
1998 XJ Cherokee 

how many miles are too much for an xj?

not enough
Unread 01-13-2009, 10:23 PM   #15
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4kzv View Post
If you can find one with a blown engine,blown transmission,blown differentials and is rusted in half look at the odometer and tell us.

Chris.
Too, many miles would be the one before all that happens...
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.