how many miles? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > how many miles?

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-05-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
jimbosz07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

how many miles?

how long will these 4.0s run? what would be considered too high for a 87-90 4.0? im lookin to buy and i dont really know these jeep engines that well

jimbosz07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 04:56 PM   #2
mickdawg777
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Well, basically, it all depends on the type of person that's driving it. Some 4.0Ls need rebuilds at 200,000 miles, and others can run all the way up to 300,000 miles with great care.

If you're looking at a 4.0L with over 200,000 miles, better think about it hard enough before buying it - you have no idea the kind of life it's lead, and you might wind up rebuilding it.

I always manage to buy absolute junk and putting tons of $$$ in it. No such thing as a good deal.
mickdawg777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
The_Duke
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would buy a 4.0 with up too 150,000 without much fear(obviously, you should check it over no matter what the mileage). Above that use caution, but you should easily see 250,000 in one.
'95 YJ, 4.0L I6, 4" Rough Country Lift, Warn Floating Axle, M.O.R.E. Boomerang Shackles, 33x12.5 Kuhmo M/Ts, 9500 LB Warn HS9500i with synthetic line and 7500 LB Winch, Hi-Lift, KC Daylighters, OBA, K&N High Performance Intake System, Tube Steps, and an Aussie up front.

1998 XJ Limited Sport - Stock....for now.
The_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

x2 on the above posts. It really, really varies. Just remember that there are a LOT of XJs for sale. Take your time and don't fall in love with any particular one. Buy the nicest one with the lowest miles that you can afford! Spending a few extra bucks NOW may be the most cost effective strategy in the long haul.......
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

87-90 blocks had a higher nickel material in the block, therefore it was stronger, therefore people who build up strokers, etc. pick the renix (87-90) block because of its strength. As for dependability, with no check engine light, troubleshoot the whole truck with a 5 dollar multimeter, hardly any emissions garbage to deal with, its safe to say the 87-90 are the simplest to run and maintain. And ive heard of many with over 300k, and one guy documented 400k on his 89.

Good Luck on your hunt.
88XJSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i have 190k on my XJ and 160 on my sisters WJ no issues on either one, other than the basic stuff
1997 TJ, Dad's Claytons 4:88s and stuff A TJ for Dad
1992 YJ crawler, getting 60s. Build thread the illusion of progress
North Jersey Jeep Club, AtoZ Fabrication, Rozzo Fabrication
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 07:53 PM   #7
jeeposaurus
1990 XJ Cherokee 

First Post here (Loooong time reader)...seems fitting,

I have a 90 4L that just turned over 300,000km. That truck owes me nothing (it has been a saint to me) and I would not hesitate to take it on a 1000km road trip ANY time. If it was kept well maintained (as mine was) I dont see 300,000km hard to hit at all.....I am hoping to turn 1/2 a million on it.

Last week I finally had to replace a drive component (front U's). Other then that nothing major has been replaced on it. Like I tell people that poke fun at the caveman nature of jeeps..."I can fix my jeep with a hammer and a socket set".
1990 Black 2 Door, Homemade 3" lift, 31x10.5 BFG AT's on rock crawlers, recovery front and rear, bed lined interior, rockerless, armored rear quarters, magnaflow muffler, CB, DIY Immobilizer, AC to OBA, Silverstars and a nice rack.
Build Up:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/b...ild-up-820250/
325,000km young.
jeeposaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 08:26 PM   #8
HeepToJeep
1982 CJ8 

Maintenance is key and it's the MAIN factor I would base a purchase on when it comes to vehicles. When popping the hood of a used vehicle you can generally tell if the engine has been kept up or if it's got a spit & polish job on it....'kept up' engines typically wont have much if any rust, leak residue, corrosion, peeled paint, caked dirt or dry rotted belts and hoses. If someone has been too sorry to lift the hood (or have someone else lift it) once a month chances are they've not gone all out when it comes to maintenance schedules and top quality fluids. My own personal rule of thumb when shopping for used vehicles is I look for stuff being sold by elderly folks that have owned it for a long time or bought it new, here's why 1) They're old school and know that maintenance is cheaper than repair 2) With few exceptions older folks are easier on vehicles and don't drive everything like they stole it. Unless it's just an insanely great deal steer clear of stuff that's spit polished (quick sale attempt) or that lacks a maintenance history/the owner knows little about it as it's probably been neglected or the owner is out to 'flip that whip'.

Now, with the above being said my own personal opinion is that milage is relative and comes second to the maintenance....obviously because the better it's been maintained the longer it will last. There was a section on the Jeep website for folks to post the milage of their Jeep vehicles (it may still be there) and the most COMMON entries there for Cherokees were 250-400k miles and 6-10 entries of 500k-750k (which are extreme but damn impressive!) Keep in mind that semis, taxis and delivery vehicles commonly rack up one million+ miles and they all do so by nothing more than strict maintenance routines. Take your time and buy the one that's the least questionable....it will be the one that gives you nothing but good lovin!

As an example, I drive an 89 XJ with 160k miles and am just now replacing factory componants like ball joints, water pump, hub bearings ect and it has ZERO rust on it.

Wm
HeepToJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.