How many Comanches made?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > How many Comanches made??

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 11-11-2004, 12:01 PM   #1
MJ Rat

How many Comanches made??

I just recently bought a 'project' '88 MJ pickup. It's currently half torn apart in my shop. I've ordered just about every part to replace front end parts (grill, bumper, flares, bezels, lenses, etc.) + a new rear bumper (the kind for towing). I think I can make due with the rest (needs a lot of dent and ding body work) and will be painting it orange. I've been to the local salvage yard (has hundreds of trucks) and found several cherokees but only one comanche. On mine, the worst damage is to the box on the drivers side (very large dent) and was looking for another box, but DANG I don't see any out there. And now that I look around, I don't see very many Comanches at all. There are TONS of Cherokees. Were the production #'s pretty low on Comanches?? If I can't pull this dent, I'm gonna be using a LOT of bondo!! (just kidding). Should I cut inside to box to get access to the outer skin? I'm not sure I'm seeing another way. Does someplace sell metal for the box? I haven't found any on the 'net...

MJ Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2004, 12:15 PM   #2
xxxflhrci

I don't know how many were made, but a buddy of mine has one with about 60 or 70k on it. It is one of the fancy models with the stripe kit and such on it. It belonged to his wifes grandfather and they inherited it a few years ago and rarely drive it. It is a nice truck. I think they want about 3500 bucks for it.

Last edited by xxxflhrci; 11-11-2004 at 12:29 PM..
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2004, 12:27 PM   #3
MJ Rat

I just bought this one for $1000 and towed it home. It had extensive wiring problems. HAD is the key word. After much rewiring under the hood, replacing the starter and radiator, and a tune-up it runs great now. It might set a record for mileage at 187,000! Being a Texas truck, the body is very solid (albeit a little beat up) and will look very good when completed. I'm not looking to do any rough off-road stuff, I just need a good pickup for hauling stuff (wood, debris, etc) and gettin' my butt to work when it's a bad day for riding one of my motorcycles. I can't wait to post some pics after it's done. I guess I need to become a paying member...
Unread 11-11-2004, 03:08 PM   #4
Country Jeep
Comanche Kemosabe

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I bought mine for $200 with nothing wrong but the flywheel and the A/C. Your doing EVERYTHING I want to do; I need the rear bumper for towing, a new grill, lift kit, paint job, body job, everything that your getting! Man, where are you getting your parts from, love to know .

They built the Comanche base series from 87 til' 92, but they had something called the Comanche X made during late 86' that looked like a cross between the Honcho and the Comanche. Right now, I have a transmission problem; it bucks and skips when I floor it in drive. It's a new prob, but I think it's just the TPS.

Well, from the looks of it, your Comanche is the exact same as mine except I have the 4.0L motor, and mine is blue (looking forward to black). Mine's 2WD also, and hoping to convert it within a year or so. Hope things go well, check out my rig if ya want to.

Take care of her, everyone who finds a Comanche is finding the Jeep jewel...........

'96 XJ Country (pearl white) 2WD, 4.0L HO I6, AW4. Daily driver.
'98 XJ Classic (moss green) 2WD, 4.0L HO I6, AW4. Restoration project.

Gone, but not forgotten: '88 MJ Pioneer, '94 ZJ Limited, '85 CJ7, '98 ZJ Limited

Blue Jeep Club Member #113

How to install an RB1 w/ working nav into a '97-'01 XJ!
Country Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2004, 08:49 PM   #5
1986 mj

also would like to know were you are getting parts have an 86 with 4 wheel drive that i am fixing and rummanging parts off of a 89 that i had before
1986 mj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2004, 08:53 PM   #6
cfkingfish
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Rat
I just bought this one for $1000 and towed it home. It had extensive wiring problems. HAD is the key word. After much rewiring under the hood, replacing the starter and radiator, and a tune-up it runs great now. It might set a record for mileage at 187,000! Being a Texas truck, the body is very solid (albeit a little beat up) and will look very good when completed. I'm not looking to do any rough off-road stuff, I just need a good pickup for hauling stuff (wood, debris, etc) and gettin' my butt to work when it's a bad day for riding one of my motorcycles. I can't wait to post some pics after it's done. I guess I need to become a paying member...
Heh, I have seen XJs with the same engine go for 315K before a rebuild.
Converted to TJ axles - 5-297 U-joints
Optima Red Top
Custom exhaust

www.ishopfaulkner.com
cfkingfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2004, 11:05 PM   #7
captainkettel
1986 MJ Comanche 

86 comanche XLS

I have a 1986 Comanche I bought in 1989. I am the second owner. Mine has a whoping 205,000 miles on the vehicle with the original engine.. My brother had a 1988 comanche and parking the two side by side you counldn't tell the difference. The body and styling where the same. He had the 4.0L and mine has a 2.8L V-6. Parts are getting harder to find. The tailgates for some reason don't seem to last. The only other problem I had was with the rear bumper getting trashed from going off road. Great vehicles. I love my comanche for haul stuff and going through the woods. Have been looking at the AEV Brute. That is the closest thing to a Comanche Jeep pickup I've seen lately. Just can't seem to want to pay that much to replace the Jeep I have. I have been looking for replacement window weatherstriping without any luck, yet. Has anyone worked on finding that yet?
captainkettel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2004, 12:54 AM   #8
EnderUSAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
I don't know how many were made, but a buddy of mine has one with about 60 or 70k on it. It is one of the fancy models with the stripe kit and such on it. It belonged to his wifes grandfather and they inherited it a few years ago and rarely drive it. It is a nice truck. I think they want about 3500 bucks for it.

What year and where is it located. My mother in-law is in the market for a manche. (and she's gonna let me lift it for her too )
Unread 11-14-2004, 08:45 AM   #9
Country Jeep
Comanche Kemosabe

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkettel
I have a 1986 Comanche I bought in 1989. I am the second owner. Mine has a whoping 205,000 miles on the vehicle with the original engine.. My brother had a 1988 comanche and parking the two side by side you counldn't tell the difference. The body and styling where the same. He had the 4.0L and mine has a 2.8L V-6. Parts are getting harder to find. The tailgates for some reason don't seem to last. The only other problem I had was with the rear bumper getting trashed from going off road. Great vehicles. I love my comanche for haul stuff and going through the woods. Have been looking at the AEV Brute. That is the closest thing to a Comanche Jeep pickup I've seen lately. Just can't seem to want to pay that much to replace the Jeep I have. I have been looking for replacement window weatherstriping without any luck, yet. Has anyone worked on finding that yet?
I didn't really know if the Comanche had an optional V-6, I thought you could only get the 4.0L I6 or the 2.8L 4Cyl

Yeah, parts are getting harder to find. But here in south Alabama, there's more people driving them then there are in the junkyard, which kind of surprises me . There's only one Comanche in our junkyard, and it was hit by a train and the whole front end is missing (except for the front axle). Other than that one, all the others are being driven around, most of them already restored too

I can't find any weatherstriping either. I don't need it, but I did notice that you can't find them anywhere. Anyone got any ideas on this

Gone, but not forgotten: '88 MJ Pioneer, '94 ZJ Limited, '85 CJ7, '98 ZJ Limited

Unread 11-14-2004, 08:46 AM   #10
xxxflhrci

I'm in Virginia. I'm not sure of the year.........It's about an '87.

I rode by his house and saw it yesterday. It is red with stripes and a rollbar......all of it factory I think.........
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2004, 10:30 AM   #11
atfrith

after reading this thread i ran into this: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39418 thought some of u guys might be interested in it
Rusty's Air Tube and K&N Filter
Dynomax Cat-Back
Cobra 19Gtl CB Radio w/PA system
2 Cheapo Baja Driving Lights mounted on front bumper
3" Rusty Coils up front, 3.5" RE leaf springs in the rear
31" Dunlop Mud Rovers on 15x8 Cragar Soft 8's
[COLOR=red]Under 21 XJ CLUB member #9[/COLOR]
Hondas Are Like Tampons...Every Pu**y Has One
atfrith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2004, 05:51 PM   #12
1986 mj

the 86 was the first year of the comanche and the only year the v6 2.8 gm motor was offered and the 4 banger was a 2.5
1986 mj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2004, 10:56 AM   #13
Manchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Rat
I just recently bought a 'project' '88 MJ pickup. It's currently half torn apart in my shop. I've ordered just about every part to replace front end parts (grill, bumper, flares, bezels, lenses, etc.) + a new rear bumper (the kind for towing). I think I can make due with the rest (needs a lot of dent and ding body work) and will be painting it orange. I've been to the local salvage yard (has hundreds of trucks) and found several cherokees but only one comanche. On mine, the worst damage is to the box on the drivers side (very large dent) and was looking for another box, but DANG I don't see any out there. And now that I look around, I don't see very many Comanches at all. There are TONS of Cherokees. Were the production #'s pretty low on Comanches?? If I can't pull this dent, I'm gonna be using a LOT of bondo!! (just kidding). Should I cut inside to box to get access to the outer skin? I'm not sure I'm seeing another way. Does someplace sell metal for the box? I haven't found any on the 'net...
I can't get over the fact that this description is EXACTLY what I'm looking at too. I just bought an 88 MJ, 4.0 5 speed 4X4 short bed, completely rust free except the floors (someone at the salvage yard left the f**ckin window open!) I've got it completely stripped ready for new front end sheet metal and a new drivetrain (doesn't need one, but I've got something new planned), and a big dent in the bed...only mine is on the passenger side lol. Let me know how you fix this...I'm trying to figure it out myself. There are at least 10 MJ's in the local yard over here...but I'm in MA...
Manchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2004, 01:20 PM   #14
Country Jeep
Comanche Kemosabe

1996 XJ Cherokee 

whoa, you say 10 MJ's! Wow, beats my one and only donor truck at the junky that's been hit by a train . Just out of curiosity, but what shape are the MJ's in? Restorable or just good for a donor? Any other 4WD versions? Any info appreciated. Thanks.

Unread 11-15-2004, 05:49 PM   #15
XJ-Maki

taken from www.comanchemj.1hwy.com

Comanche Production numbers:

1985: 29,245

1986: 33,386

1987: 43,070

1988: 43,718

1989: 25,311

1990: 9,576

1991: 5,188

1992: 952
XJ-Maki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.