how many bolts hold on the bumper? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > how many bolts hold on the bumper?

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 05-04-2008, 06:55 AM   #1
Muddeprived

how many bolts hold on the bumper?

How many bolts hold on the front bumper of a 2001?

Thanks
Chris

Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2008, 07:48 AM   #2
dandiv
1998 XJ Cherokee 

it should be 6 hexhead bolts holding the mounts onto the unibody, and 4 torx head bolts holding the bumper onto the mount.
if your looking to replace it with a wheelin bumper that wont be enough. your going to want to tie it into your steering box and your frame rails.
dandiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2008, 07:56 AM   #3
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiv View Post
it should be 6 hexhead bolts holding the mounts onto the unibody, and 4 torx head bolts holding the bumper onto the mount.
if your looking to replace it with a wheelin bumper that wont be enough. your going to want to tie it into your steering box and your frame rails.
I needed to know to tell this guy who will be making me a bumper. He wanted to know how many bolts currently hold it and he will triple that. Instead of two brackets, he'll use 6 so it's very strong. I want an indestructable bumper.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
GP MEHRD

since hes never seen it before its probably a good idea to take it to him with it off so he can get his measurements. less room for error. not a sermon. just a thought.....
GP MEHRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2008, 08:57 AM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Have your builder look at this bumper bracket diagram. http://www.twisted-halo.com/digicam/xj/Bumper%20mount.pdf . Some people have said that one of the dimensions is off a little bit but no-one has ever posted which one is off or given any proof. Use the diagram as a starting point. Most of the store bought bumpers use something similar for their mounting brackets.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #6
noriegaramon
1984 CJ7 

Last edited by noriegaramon; 10-03-2008 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: none
noriegaramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
...He wanted to know how many bolts currently hold it and he will triple that. Instead of two brackets, he'll use 6 so it's very strong....
Um, it doesn't really work that way, and if that's really his logic, I think I'd find a different place to build your bumper.

The factory bumper mounts using 3 bolts per side. Most aftermarket bumpers designed for recovery use these 3 points plus at a minimum the big through-frame hole further back. The rear-most bolt goes completely through the frame.

With 1/4" plate for the brackets, this makes for a pretty strong mounting.

I'd also recommend an L-bracket that ties the front two bumper bolts into the front crossmember:

Many newer bumpers also incorporate the steering box bolts on the driver-side to reinforce that mount, which has proven to be a weak spot on XJs that get wheeled a lot. Something like this, which is similar to the link that CJ7-Tim posted:

'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
dandiv
1998 XJ Cherokee 

id like to point out that no matter how well your bumper is mounted up, you have a unibody. im not sure what kind of hit the cherokees unibody can take but i really would trust it too well. pple will say there engineered to be real strong but just one look at that sheet metal will tell you otherwise lol. that was a real bummer for me actually i spent 7 months building a rediculasly tough brush guard but it turns out that i cant even really pop anything with it lol.
im not trying to burst your bubble, i figured id warn you though so you dont try and test your bumper at 25 miles an hour lol
dandiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 05:23 PM   #9
00BlackdOut
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
Instead of two brackets, he'll use 6 so it's very strong...
Yeah, this doesn't even make sense. Has he ever built anything that will bolt on to an automotive frame before?? Before anybody chimes in, I KNOW it's a unibody. The design hasn't changed since the invention of the auto though.

Last edited by 00BlackdOut; 05-18-2008 at 08:10 AM..
00BlackdOut is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.