how many bolts hold on the bumper? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > how many bolts hold on the bumper?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 05-04-2008, 07:55 AM   #1
Muddeprived

how many bolts hold on the bumper?

How many bolts hold on the front bumper of a 2001?

Thanks
Chris

Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2008, 08:48 AM   #2
dandiv
1998 XJ Cherokee 

it should be 6 hexhead bolts holding the mounts onto the unibody, and 4 torx head bolts holding the bumper onto the mount.
if your looking to replace it with a wheelin bumper that wont be enough. your going to want to tie it into your steering box and your frame rails.
dandiv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2008, 08:56 AM   #3
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiv View Post
it should be 6 hexhead bolts holding the mounts onto the unibody, and 4 torx head bolts holding the bumper onto the mount.
if your looking to replace it with a wheelin bumper that wont be enough. your going to want to tie it into your steering box and your frame rails.
I needed to know to tell this guy who will be making me a bumper. He wanted to know how many bolts currently hold it and he will triple that. Instead of two brackets, he'll use 6 so it's very strong. I want an indestructable bumper.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
GP MEHRD

since hes never seen it before its probably a good idea to take it to him with it off so he can get his measurements. less room for error. not a sermon. just a thought.....
GP MEHRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Have your builder look at this bumper bracket diagram. http://www.twisted-halo.com/digicam/xj/Bumper%20mount.pdf . Some people have said that one of the dimensions is off a little bit but no-one has ever posted which one is off or given any proof. Use the diagram as a starting point. Most of the store bought bumpers use something similar for their mounting brackets.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
noriegaramon
1984 CJ7 

Last edited by noriegaramon; 10-03-2008 at 01:02 AM.. Reason: none
noriegaramon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
...He wanted to know how many bolts currently hold it and he will triple that. Instead of two brackets, he'll use 6 so it's very strong....
Um, it doesn't really work that way, and if that's really his logic, I think I'd find a different place to build your bumper.

The factory bumper mounts using 3 bolts per side. Most aftermarket bumpers designed for recovery use these 3 points plus at a minimum the big through-frame hole further back. The rear-most bolt goes completely through the frame.

With 1/4" plate for the brackets, this makes for a pretty strong mounting.

I'd also recommend an L-bracket that ties the front two bumper bolts into the front crossmember:

Many newer bumpers also incorporate the steering box bolts on the driver-side to reinforce that mount, which has proven to be a weak spot on XJs that get wheeled a lot. Something like this, which is similar to the link that CJ7-Tim posted:

'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2008, 05:13 PM   #8
dandiv
1998 XJ Cherokee 

id like to point out that no matter how well your bumper is mounted up, you have a unibody. im not sure what kind of hit the cherokees unibody can take but i really would trust it too well. pple will say there engineered to be real strong but just one look at that sheet metal will tell you otherwise lol. that was a real bummer for me actually i spent 7 months building a rediculasly tough brush guard but it turns out that i cant even really pop anything with it lol.
im not trying to burst your bubble, i figured id warn you though so you dont try and test your bumper at 25 miles an hour lol
dandiv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2008, 06:23 PM   #9
00BlackdOut
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
Instead of two brackets, he'll use 6 so it's very strong...
Yeah, this doesn't even make sense. Has he ever built anything that will bolt on to an automotive frame before?? Before anybody chimes in, I KNOW it's a unibody. The design hasn't changed since the invention of the auto though.

Last edited by 00BlackdOut; 05-18-2008 at 09:10 AM..
00BlackdOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.