*How-To* LeBaron Hood Vent Install (w/ pics) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > *How-To* LeBaron Hood Vent Install (w/ pics)

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-11-2007, 04:29 PM   #1
lost honda pro
1997 XJ Cherokee 

*How-To* LeBaron Hood Vent Install (w/ pics)

So, I bought into the hype, found me some LeBaron/New Yorker Turbo Hood Vents, and decided to install 'em. I know there are several write-ups floating around for this install, most notably being EricsXJ.com, which I followed pretty closely (found here http://www.ericsxj.com/vents.htm).

It's pretty straight forward, but patience and meticulousity will ensure a perfect product.

1) Get the vents, sand em, clean em, paint em. I used Rustoleum semi-gloss black, but think I may use Dupli-color's bedliner so they match my bumpers...

2) Lay the vents out on the hood, find out where they need to go to match the hood lines and fit between the hood beams. The beam that goes across the back of the hood (next to the cowl) is kinda deep, so I had to push mine a full 5" forward of the rear of the hood.

3) I used a total of 3 reinforced (the carbon/kevlar) cut-off discs on my Dremel, just cause I'm ridiculous with a Dremel but then I ended up burning up the motor on the Dremel, so I had to finish it with a jigsaw. Others (including Eric, cited above) have used an angle grinder with excellent results, but I find them too heavy to manipulate accurately. Make sure to cover the engine with something to keep debris off the important stuff.

4) Next, I taped about an 1/8" from the hole, and taped/covered the hood so I could sand the rough edge, clean it, and spray the bare metal to protect from rust.

5) Give it time to dry, peel the tape, and you're set. It's such a weird feeling seeing what's under the hood from above the hood....

6) I used #8 x 1" machine screws with split washers and flat washers to hold the vents down. The metal pieces are 1/2" x 3/4" x 1/16" thick aluminum angle (3 foot piece, chopped to ~1.5") from Home Depot. Clean your hood, and marvel at your own magnificence.

Here's the price breakdown:

vents - $11.50 from local u-pull-it
hardware - ~$4 from Home Depot
angle aluminum - ~$5 from Home Depot
spray paint - ~$5 from Home Depot
reinforced Dremel wheels - ~$7 from Home Depot
plus some sandpaper, tape, newspaper/tarp, etc.

Total: $32.50

lost honda pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
jnew
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Wow! Those look awesome! Nice clean work.

jnew
jnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
lost honda pro
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks bro, it actually only took like 4 hours to cut/clean up the holes. Stupid broken Dremel...
lost honda pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
longducdong
2001 XJ Cherokee 

nice i love cheap mods...
longducdong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 05:32 PM   #5
red96jeep

what you need to do is take that vent off over the intake and fit a ram air scoop/ vent assembly lol. that would give you like 30+ HP
Rocky Mountain Edition Club member #4
project vehicle
new 2002 jetta 1.8t DD
red96jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 05:34 PM   #6
UKJeepThang
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Good write up and good clear pics. I'm waiting for my LeBarons to turn up in the UK. They are mid Atlantic at the moment in a crate with a D44 I'm shipping over here
RE 4.5 inch superflex lift, RE GEN2 disconnects, 15x8 Crager 352's, 33x12.5x15 BFG MT, ARB Lockers Front and Rear, 4.56 Diffs, Cut & Tap Short Shaft Conversion, CV Rear Prop, B&M Transmission Cooler and Gauge, Bushwackers Cut-Outs, Skid Row Armor, AJ's SuperRails, LeBaron Hood Vents, KargoMaster Rack, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters, Midland CB, Brantz Navigation
Loads a mud!!
UKJeepThang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 05:59 PM   #7
Spacecoastz

Those look great, but what about rain?
Spacecoastz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 06:01 PM   #8
jersey_jim
1994 XJ Cherokee 

what is the point of the hood vents? to help 4.0's run cooler? i always ask myself this question.
Unread 10-11-2007, 06:24 PM   #9
MoparOrNoCar
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Extremly nice work

Looks great!!!!
Unread 10-11-2007, 07:25 PM   #10
wbacon
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Need to put alittle black paint on them shiny screwheads....looks good though.
Unread 10-11-2007, 07:31 PM   #11
Jay-P
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey_jim
what is the point of the hood vents? to help 4.0's run cooler? i always ask myself this question.
Yes, since you don't get much airflow through the rad while wheeling, this helps keep your engine a bit cooler. Plus it looks cool.

Also kind of wondering about the rain issue. I know Eric has some baffles to keep rain off the electronics.
Unread 10-11-2007, 07:32 PM   #12
TheInstaller
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey_jim
It is to reduce underhood temperatures, which can lead to a cooler running engine. After driving your Jeep hard for a bit, pop the hood and feel how much heat is under there.

Nice write up, and great job. I need to get some vents and do mine now.
1993 XJ Sport, AX15, NP231, D30 open, Chrysler 8.25 open, Rusty's 3" lift with full packs, Firestone Destination A/T 235/75/15's, Uniden PC68XL CB radio, Custom rock sliders, custom intake, trimmed fenders, custom front bumper, 2" receiver front and rear, 48" Hi-Lift jack, OBA.
TheInstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 07:33 PM   #13
flanker_13
1987 MJ Comanche 

Just wondering how come you don't cut the hole smaller and use nut-serts to retain the vents instead of clamping them with the aluminum??

Just another way to do it.

87 Comanche Sportruck
4.0L w/ 5spd.
D30 F/ D35 R
31x10.50-15 stock suspension
flanker_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 07:34 PM   #14
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

clean work you did there, nice writeup.

-Kyle
XJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 07:43 PM   #15
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanker_13
Just wondering how come you don't cut the hole smaller and use nut-serts to retain the vents instead of clamping them with the aluminum??

Just another way to do it.
Because if you look, you will see that the mounting holes are in the recessed part of the vent, not on the outer lip.

Nice install.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.