How To Install A TC Drop *Write Up* - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > How To Install A TC Drop *Write Up*

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-23-2007, 10:54 PM   #16
WMW0505
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ99
Cut a small hole in the frame and weld another nut in place, or a stud..

That's why the square tubing is the way to go. You can leave the stud in..

If you use the jack on the transfer case, and remove the 4 bolts on the
cross member that attach to the t-case, you won't have to fight
to get the holes to line up. Simply tighten up the cross member to the frame
after you install the drop, then tight the t-case. (makes it easier)

that is ONE HELL OF AN IDEA...but the problem we ran into wasnt the stud...it was the bolt...but its just which ever one brakes...good thinking though.

D44 open
33x12.50 Dunlop Mud Rovers
4.56:1 gears
WMW0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 09:43 AM   #17
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMW0505
that is ONE HELL OF AN IDEA...but the problem we ran into wasnt the stud...it was the bolt...but its just which ever one brakes...good thinking though.

Yeah, once you get the nuts and bolts off, it helps to use blue loctite. That way they won't rust on there..
Unread 04-24-2007, 10:02 AM   #18
Arcticcat843
dakuda is a god

1980 CJ5 

i broke the welded nut off on the inside of the framerail. so we ended up taking a cloths hanger and pushing a new (longer) bolt inside the frame so it would drop in the hole. then we spot welded the bolt so the bottom of the framerail. it was a pain but we made it work. To bad it didnt do much, still have vibes and still need a SYE
Arcticcat843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 12:28 PM   #19
WMW0505
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Yeah, once you get the nuts and bolts off, it helps to use blue loctite. That way they won't rust on there..

that and grade 8 zinc coated...shouldn't have to worry about it anymore. (well we used SS grade 5 on 3 of them and Grade 8 on the one we had to tap) Whats the difference in the colors of loctite? isnt the blue the strongest? ive used red before as well...but that was on a paint ball gun, on threads where CO2 ran.
D44 open
Unread 04-24-2007, 12:55 PM   #20
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMW0505
that and grade 8 zinc coated...shouldn't have to worry about it anymore. (well we used SS grade 5 on 3 of them and Grade 8 on the one we had to tap) Whats the difference in the colors of loctite? isnt the blue the strongest? ive used red before as well...but that was on a paint ball gun, on threads where CO2 ran.

Blue is removable with hand tools for easy disassembly, Red you generally need heat to disassemble...

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/produ...id=48&plid=153
Unread 04-24-2007, 01:00 PM   #21
WMW0505
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Blue is removable with hand tools for easy disassembly, Red you generally need heat to disassemble...

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/produ...id=48&plid=153
well im glad we used blue on mine...so when i put in my SYE and raise the cross member back up we wont have to torch the bolts out
D44 open
Unread 04-24-2007, 01:17 PM   #22
mrboom
1995 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTCdrop.htm

It was in The " Tech Links for FAQ. Most of the answers are here!" Section..

Also it would be nice to know what bolts you used on the install.. Length Pitch so on and so on..

Not bad but more detail would of been great..
mrboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 06:23 PM   #23
Jeff in PA
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboom
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTCdrop.htm

It was in The " Tech Links for FAQ. Most of the answers are here!" Section..

Also it would be nice to know what bolts you used on the install.. Length Pitch so on and so on..

Not bad but more detail would of been great..
Here's where I specify bolt length/diameter/pitch http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...56&postcount=4

"To fasten the spacers, get four 10mm x 1.5 bolts 50mm long."

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff in PA; 04-24-2007 at 08:58 PM..
Jeff in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 06:35 PM   #24
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in PA
Here's where I specify bolt length/diameter/pitch http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...56&postcount=4

"To fasten the spacers, get four 10mm x 1.25 bolts 50mm long."

Jeff

I think the pitch is 1.50 though.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 09:00 PM   #25
Jeff in PA
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloo93
I think the pitch is 1.50 though.
You are correct

I'm making some flywheel pullers for the old Kawasaki two stroke triples that take the 10mm fine thread bolts.

I corrected the link too.
Jeff in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 11:16 PM   #26
ChewyXJ
nom nom nom

I'd like to add that a 1" drop is not the only option. I have no idea where the classic 1" drop came from but many of us can do with less. Why not reduce the motor mount stress and messed up front driveline angle if you can?

Several years ago and 160,000+ miles ago I expeiremented with different drop heights. I found that a 10mm (just under 1/2") drop got rid of my vibes. Along with a 1.5* shim under my leaf pack this setup has worked well for me. I originally intended to install an SYE but just never got around to it.

My point is that, while an SYE/CV DS is highly recommended, if you are going the t-case drop route put some thought into it and only drop it the amount you need to. Measure your driveline angles and make the best adjustments for your rig.

I used washers to find the best height for my application, then cut and drilled some scrap strap steel to replace the washers. Very simple mod.

My apologies to those who have previously read my rant.
'87 XJ 2" lift
'96 XJ stock

"Personally, I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making some more."

"Don't believe everything you think..."
ChewyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 11:23 PM   #27
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana xj
I'd like to add that a 1" drop is not the only option. I have no idea where the classic 1" drop came from but many of us can do with less. Why not reduce the motor mount stress and messed up front driveline angle if you can?

Several years ago and 160,000+ miles ago I expeiremented with different drop heights. I found that a 10mm (just under 1/2") drop got rid of my vibes. Along with a 1.5* shim under my leaf pack this setup has worked well for me. I originally intended to install an SYE but just never got around to it.

My point is that, while an SYE/CV DS is highly recommended, if you are going the t-case drop route put some thought into it and only drop it the amount you need to. Measure your driveline angles and make the best adjustments for your rig.

I used washers to find the best height for my application, then cut and drilled some scrap strap steel to replace the washers. Very simple mod.

My apologies to those who have previously read my rant.
that is very smart thinking, if this was going to be more long term for me i would have put more effort into the TC drop but it wont be under there for a very long time.
-kyle
XJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2007, 01:21 AM   #28
TXjeep97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_99'XJ
that is very smart thinking, if this was going to be more long term for me i would have put more effort into the TC drop but it wont be under there for a very long time.
-kyle
So did it cure your vibes?
TXjeep97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2007, 10:04 AM   #29
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXjeep97
So did it cure your vibes?
sorry for such a delayed post, yes it did cure my vibes for the most part. right around 30-35mph i get very slight vibes but they are very minute.

-Kyle
XJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2007, 01:28 AM   #30
XJ2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hey Kyle, nice write up.

I'm going to have to do a tcase drop myself because I'm some vibes from my 2" BB. I'm just having trouble understanding

Quote:
Step 3
Remove the stud . To do this you will need to put two nuts back to back on the stud. Make sure that the bottom nut is very tight against the top nut to avoid stripping the stud as i did. Once tight then put a wrench on the top nut and start unscrewing the stud. This picture is a little bad but it kindof gets the point across.

Could you clarify that for me please?

Trail Rig: 2000 XJ w/ 4.5" RE SF, Locked XJ D44 Rear, Locked D30, and a bunch of other things

Pavement Pounder: 2001 XJ Daily Driver, 2" BB, 245/70R16 AT's on Moabs
XJ2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.