How hard is it to replace lifters? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > How hard is it to replace lifters?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-27-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
ineffablelove
1996 XJ Cherokee 

How hard is it to replace lifters?

I have done a lot of work on jeeps, lifters never being a part of it. I am removing my head tonight (all the other stuff is already off and getting either replaced or a good washing). How are they removed and is it difficult? Any help is appreciated. It is a 4.0 H.O.

ineffablelove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
xjguy98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It's pretty involved seeing as how you have to remove the head but you're doing that anyway. As far as I know, once the head is off, the lifters should just pull right out. The hardest part is all the work in removing the head.
C4x4 Front Tow Hooks/Rear Hidden Hitch[/CENTER][/SIZE]
xjguy98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
ineffablelove
1996 XJ Cherokee 

that is the best news I have heard today. Does it require a specialized tool for pulling them? Thanks.
Unread 08-27-2008, 05:20 PM   #4
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

from my understanding they are just resting in there and its the rockers and valve springs that hold them down tightly

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2008, 05:23 PM   #5
ineffablelove
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet Nectar. thanks guys.
Unread 08-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Let me know how it goes. I'm probably facing an upper rebuild by winter. Lots of lifter chatter.

2008 "Jeep" Patriot <-----Crap.
kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2008, 09:22 PM   #7
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I have never rebuilt a 4.0, but once you remove the head, the lifters should just pull out. you may be able to use some needle nose pliers to pull them. just be sure to use some prelube on the new ones.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2008, 09:24 PM   #8
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I put a 4.0 head on a 258 which is about the same as a 4.0. The lifters are hollow tubes with rounded ends and they just sit there loose in their slots. You can pick them up with no pulling involved. When you put them back be sure they are sitting in the little cup down in the block. I have no idea what the correct term for it is.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggybottombob View Post
I put a 4.0 head on a 258 which is about the same as a 4.0. The lifters are hollow tubes with rounded ends and they just sit there loose in their slots. You can pick them up with no pulling involved. When you put them back be sure they are sitting in the little cup down in the block. I have no idea what the correct term for it is.
I think you are talking about the pushrods. the cups you mentioned, is what he's replacing. they are down inside the block. http://www.autozone.com/R,941751/veh...ductDetail.htm this is them.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2008, 09:55 PM   #10
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

you are right and I am ignorant. Thanks for the correction.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #11
Paul_C
2000 XJ Cherokee 

What was the reason for pulling the head and why do you have to change the lifters.

On high milage engines a varnish can coat the bottom of the lifter that doesn't slide up in to the lifter bore. It's a tight fit and you may need to work the lifter up and down to scrape the varnish off before it will pull through. There use to be a tool for that. Kind of a mini slide hammer with fingers that would grip the inside snap ring of the lifter. If the cam lobe got wiped out it will have mushroomed the bottom of the lifter and it will never slide out. Only way to remove it is to remove the cam and poke it through but you would need to replace the cam anyway.
Paul_C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2008, 11:39 AM   #12
ineffablelove
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I decided to not change them. I was thinking about it because the head was coming off anyway and they have never been changed out. My jeep has 230k so I firgured "why not?" I talked myself out of it because the $50 or so would be better spent getting her smogged. The reason for taking the head off was an assumed leak (which was confirmed, #5 cylinder). I had already removed the intake and exhaust manifolds (Intake needed a good cleaning and exhaust had a righteous crack all the way around the flange) so I figured I'd go the further step to confirm my suspicions. Good thing I did! Thank you for all the info, I know the day is coming where I will have to suck it up and do it all over again.
Unread 11-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #13
jloerke
2001 XJ Cherokee 

First Time Fix

So i just noticed that i also need to replace my lifter. Its a cheap part but i'd also like to know what all i should replace since im taking the header off? it doesnt look like the gasket has ever been replaced so what all should i replace/clean while replacing my lifter? and roughly how long of a job is this? im up in minot ND and shops are charging well over 100$/hr which is dumb!!
jloerke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #14
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloerke View Post
So i just noticed that i also need to replace my lifter. Its a cheap part but i'd also like to know what all i should replace since im taking the header off? it doesnt look like the gasket has ever been replaced so what all should i replace/clean while replacing my lifter? and roughly how long of a job is this? im up in minot ND and shops are charging well over 100$/hr which is dumb!!
The answer to your question depends on some factors you have not told us about:
1. how many miles on the engine?
2. how well was it maintained to date? Is it full of sludge, or clean as new inside?
3. WHY are you replacing a single lifter, or do you intend to replace ALL of them? Again, WHY?
4. What does the cooling system look like? Again, well maintained, or full of corrosion?
5. Has the engine ever overheated, even SLIGHTLY? What temps does it run in warm weather?
6. Does the engine loose ANY coolant through mysterious means on a regular basis?

Give us some answers to the above questions, and I can offer some comprehensive suggestions for what would be appropriate for that vehicle.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2012, 02:04 AM   #15
RagBag
2000 XJ Cherokee 

why not buy a repair manual? It will answer alot of questions. It might not be worth messing with the top end of a tired motor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.